don't ya think it's a rotten trick?

by zaphod 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• zaphod
    zaphod

i've always thought that it was a rotten trick for god to create us with free will and then punish us for using it.

wha'd'ya think?

• upside/down
    upside/down

What's even more rotten, is that we puny short lived little carbon based life forms suffer so much our short existence...

But Debil da Satan and his legions get to have several thousand years of true free reign and exercising of free will. They get to do what they want , when they want, with no immediate consequences. I wonder if the tables were turned and we could move about invisible to Debil da Satan and his hordes and f*ck up everything they were trying to accomplish and "possess" them and do to them what they supposedly are doing to the human race... Now that'd be FAIR.

We got the short end of the stick in this wager... hardly the act of a "just" "God".

ugh!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I think the "forbidden fruit" is a silly test of faithfulness, but I don't think the concept of freewill and the concept of living within a set of rules are incompatible. You have the freewill to act on your own, but you can't break the following rules: don't murder, don't steal, don't blah, blah, blah. Anybody that breaks the rules has improperly abused their freewill.

I'm still torn on what exactly freewill is. I'm such a product of my genes, my upbringing, my environment, how much coffee I've had, I don't know how much any concept of freewill enters into the decisions I make.

Though I do take responsibility for my actions, so I guess I ACT like what I do is based on freewill. Maybe that's close enough?

Dave

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Free Will? Depends on how you use it!

What you chose to do with your Free Will!

Also, How did god punish you?

Brooke

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'm still torn on what exactly freewill is. I'm such a product of my genes, my upbringing, my environment, how much coffee I've had, I don't know how much any concept of freewill enters into the decisions I make.

How can it? Your behaviour is either caused or uncaused. If it is caused, then you do not have free will. Your behaviour is a result of physical actions and reactions within your brain. If your behaviour is uncaused - and therefore unlike everything else in the universe - then it must be random and you have no control over it. Either way, free will is an illusion.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    i've always thought that it was a rotten trick for god to create us with free will and then punish us for using it.

What's worse is that he punishes everyone because (supposedly) Adam and Eve used it.

Walter

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good reasoning, derek. Rolling back into the free will illusion. Within that illusion, a person could do most anything that they percieve is their will, if they are willing to pay the price. Wanna be a millionaire? Pay the price of busting your butt working, squeezing/using people, etc. Wanna kill somebody? Be ready to pay the price of running for the rest of your life, spending jail time, execution, bad karma, etc.

Oh, and about the bible story, it pure fiction. Noone can prove that god has recently directly enforced anything.

S

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

How does God punish you for using your free will?

Its a new one to me... I have yet to see an example of any punishment for the exercise of free will - I do see however an awful lot of consequences of bad choices being suffered. Can the alcoholic blame God because God made yeast, sugar and hops? Can the 15 year old gym slip mum blame God because she slept with someone? Can the people in war zones blame God because someone drops bombs on them? Etc..

The way I see it (and its an admitted limited view from here in the Bat Cave) is that God has been very generous in giving His son to us allow us to escape the most serious consequences of our actions but in also giving us the dignity and space to work things out for ourselves. In addition He has actually given us a code to live by that is much better than the rules that our politicians come up with - Love your neighbour as yourself.

If you mean its not fair that God punishes us in the next life for decisions made in this life then you've also got to say that He's unfair for rewarding us and that somehow you aren't responsible for anything.

Funny thing is I have this sort of discussion with my 5 year old when she says its not fair that I impose rules on her(like bed before 8pm and cleaning the floor with a toothbrush - hehe jk.) I always tell her that while she lives in my house she can live by my rules and if she doesn't like that she can live by the consequences of not obeying.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Q

If you mean its not fair that God punishes us in the next life for decisions made in this life then you've also got to say that He's unfair for rewarding us

Why need a reward????? Anyway, shifting it to the next world is just a copout. It's just part of the mormon imaginary theology.

S

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Why does everyone always have to blame something or someone for awful things that happen?!

I think it is a childish and shows the intelligence of that person or persons!

Life is not fair! It sucks half the time Wonderful the rest of it! What are you going to do about it? Just Piss and Moan and take it up the arse like everyone else!

Brooke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit