How long have you been on the Internet? and ..

by Brummie 48 Replies latest jw friends

• inquirer
    inquirer

I think I have been online since about... 1997-'98! It was all Netscape back then and it still wasn't as commercial as it is now.

I've known about this site for ages! I can't quite remember how long I've known about it for. At least 5 years or so... maybe more! But I was too scared to go on it in the past, I just glanced at it! Then I started to read it the last couple of years, and then finally I joined up!

This was the first site and only "apostate site" I have posted on.

• inquirer
    inquirer

I think I have been online since about... 1997-'98! It was all Netscape back then and it still wasn't as commercial as it is now.

I've known about this site for ages! I can't quite remember how long I've known about it for. At least 5 years or so... maybe more! But I was too scared to go on it in the past, I just glanced at it! Then I started to read it the last couple of years, and then finally I joined up!

This was the first site and only "apostate site" I have posted on.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

My first online service was CompuServe in '95. It had Internet e-mail and a Usenet bridge, but that was just before they released a browser. In '96 I got unlimited access via MSN, and I've been a 'net junkie ever since.

As ex-JW boards, I was a dub and didn't post here until '03, although I did occasionally check out the site before then (both for personal curiosity and to find out who was trying to get onto the JW boards).

Leolaia wrote:
    Incidentally, I kind of know the guy who actually invented the internet (no, not Gore), so to speak. I had dinner with him twice, and we talked for hours about the Bible and first-century Christianity. :)) He is getting the Turing award this June for his achievement and I'm going to the ceremony.

You know Vint Cerf? Sweet! How did that come about?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I used the internet a little in college, back in 95...but my little brother got a computer and AOL in 1998...and so I starting going online more through his account..met my husband through AOL ( my mother is convinced that if we didn't have internet connection I would still be in the Troof....I would have never met husband after all hahah...it is true I started chatting with people about spiritual stuff, but it didn't really have anything to do with me leaving)/

I found this board...hmm....it was in Summer of 2001. I saw a news report on my local tv station about a family suing a local JW congregation over the sexual abuse of two daughters. I was aghast! Not that it happened, but that someone was suing...I went online...and found this board.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I first tried connecting a couple of computers together in 1985, and had a variety between then and 1995, when I first got onto the Internet.

It was with CompuServe (version 1.2, if I recall), and it wasn't long before I stumbled across exJW stuff. I was so appalled at the anger, hatred and level of profanity that not only did I not contribute, I also swore off of visiting such sites until after I'd decided to leave the JWs myself.

It was at that point (having made a decision to leave) that I sought out exJW material and came across some articles written by Randy Watters (whom I started corresponding with) and also this site (which I shortly joined).

I've been here over 3.5 years and it's seen most of my highs and lows, as I got to grips with leaving the cult.
    It's a little like a cyber-home, and I enjoy getting to meet so many people coming in and out the door, and hopefully being of help once in a while.

In view of my first experiences with this kind of material I would say that whilst I'm not always enamoured by the methods of employment, I'm totally in agreement with the rules of conduct on this site. Every site is different, and there are plenty of others to cater for the harsher tastes.

It's quite a challenge to "move on" and yet recall clearly how it felt to go through all the various mental stages of recovery, at least enough to assist.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

<----------------------Looks like November 29, 2002....first day. Yep first thing I typed in was JW. and here I am.

Lisa

• vitty
    vitty

I first shown how to switch on a computer in March 2004, and this was one of the first sites I looked at.

I wasnt looking for apostate sites, I just googled JW and the rest is history, I registered in May 2004

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Way back in March or April of 1996 when the Internet was in black and white. I was the first person I knew to have Internet access. I was using Netscape 1.1 on a 28.8k long-distance connection. As I had mentally left the Watchtower cult in December of 1995, one of the first things I typed into a search engine (Yahoo!, I think, no Google in those days) was "Jehovah's Witnesses". I spent the next couple of months reading and researching before I stopped attending meetings (after which my mother tried to ban me from using the net, but I continued anyway).

The first forum I was on was AJWR where I posted sporadically, usually with the nickname Phantom. I graduated to H2O as it had a better interface and everyone was moving there. I read a lot more than I posted. When I did post, I used the names Phantom or Dedalus [other people have used those names, probably more than I did, so I'm probably not who you're thinking of if you think you remember me from those boards]. I think I also posted using my real name once or twice.

I was also subscribed to the philia and jesus-witnesses mailing lists, and was a regular in the #philia chatroom on IRC but I gave it all up after a couple of years and only checked H2O occasionally before finding this place and signing up nearly four years ago where I decided to be completely open about my identity - which so far, has had no negative consequences.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

I guess I must be at the very end of the "anologue generation"!

My first time on the net (aside from work related stuff) was in 1994. I looked up JW's of course (out of curiousity) and of course they were all negative sites. I laughed my way through the "New Economy" revolution during the late nineties.

A sibling mentioned this site to me last January and I've been very impressed generally with the board and its members (I admit that I used to think that anyone who was on one of these boards was either an ill-educated wierdo, a friendless nerd or a hopeless shut-in -- apologies to all!). This is the only board I've ever joined and it's made me more open to the "possibilities" of the internet for non-institutional communications.

W.

• Bryan
    Bryan

I also first surfed on the internet in Nov. 1992. And yes... it was via prodigy.

I did not get the nerve up though until about a year and a half ago (2004) to search jw stuff. When I left, I ran as hard and fast as possible out of fear of the bOrg.

I first posted right here at jwd... thanks Simon!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit