How long have you been on the Internet? and ..

by Brummie 48 Replies latest jw friends

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

FIDONet count? Yeah, that far back. 300 baud modem...I remember gleeing over the blazing speeds of a 2400 baud modem.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I first got online in my Uni's computer room (well, one of the three it had then!) in the autumn of 1994, but that was Telnet and BBS's; I remember Shadow BBS as being where I usually went. This was all about a year after I left - I started college the week before I left (in full knowledge I was leaving).

The following year they got a new computer room at University and the machines had Mosaic on them, later on Navigator. New PC's too; ah, the speed of a P50!!!

It wasn't until 1996 that I thought of looking up Dubbies (I used Yahoo and still do). I'd reached the end of my 'they're just like other religions, but I don't want to live my life that way' phase. I basically read everything I could; most xJW boards were very religiously slanted at the time, and I really didn't want a different flavour of Hank's Ass anymore. I already knew it was bullshit from a scientific angle so although I've picked up doctrinal and organsiation proofs of crapitude since then I didn't need them at that point as I'd had almost 30 years of that jive.

I found 'Support For XJW's', an American board run by a lady called Tishie who still strikes me as the wisest SysOp or board owner I've ever come across. I know a few of the 'oldies' here from there, but haven't posted there regulary for five years or so. Other than that board and this I've only posted infrequently elsewhere on xJW boards.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I've been on the net for about two years now. It has been a wonderful asset to my life. I really wouldn't want to ever be without internet access or without a computer ever again, and will work to do whatever's necessary to ensure that I have this connect with the outside world.

The first site I ever posted on was this one, though I've tried other JW discussion boards, I've never given the same type of attention to them as I've given to this one. My participation in anything other than this place is sparse, at best.

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Showing my age here:

My first on-line activity in the mid 80's...remember all you youngin's the Internet was originally ALL TEXT, i.e. no graphics based interface like we enjoy today...so I started before the days of the "World Wide Web" (WWW). Thoroughly enjoyed learning how everything "worked" and how to log in to remote computer systems and browse around, etc. Ahh the memories....

My earliest connection to the net was via a 1200 Bps modem.....if any of you think the net gets slow from time to time, try communicating at THAT speed..

Er, any other computer "old-timers" remember those days??

---Dan

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I think the first anti-JW site I looked at was Watchman, then Watch the Tower by Paul Blizzard-ex Bethelite, then my daughter found this website and a few weeks ago I came on board and started posting. At first I was terrified someone was going to find out who I was, but I've been out for many years. My only regret is that if my sister finds out, she will shun me like she used to when I was disfellowshipped. Since I got reinstated and became a fader, we have developed a relationship again. The rest of my family are not JWs.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    God damn it, Leolia is married. :-(

LMAO, the confusion of the two Leos has struck again! The Leological One is married, not I.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

This one is the only website I've posted about ex-jw stuff.

DY

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Euphemism: It's a friend of a friend sort of thing. I had dinner with him right after he saw the movie "Passion of the Christ" and he was filled with questions about Jesus and early Christianity and how it developed from Judaism. It was great. We also had fun tasting wine that had turned to vinegar! Then a month later or so, he came over to the house and we continued our discussion. I had no idea that he was interested in this sort of thing. Anyway, he's a very nice person, and he's been working lately on an interplanetary internet idea so that spacecraft in our solar system (or future robots or rovers on Mars) can be equipped with broadband capability and even the public at large can use the internet to contact such devices. Of course, because of the speed of light, there would be huge time lags compared to the usual earthly internet.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I started on the internet in 1999, the year my eyes were opened. Got my computer, left the organization and sinned and found true love. Wow what a year but I did use the printer before

love Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit