BREAKING NEWS

by the_classicist 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Maybe the lawyers are doing it out of the good of their heart instead of for money.

BAAAAHHHHH!!!

NOT!

• zaphod
    zaphod

regarding honesty's comment:

this may have the opposite effect on the young sister.

my cousin was a bit of a tearaway at 17. he then had a serious accident on his scooter and had to have his spleen removed.

his non-witness father signed for him to have a blood transfusion which saved his life.

this prompted him to dedicate his life to jehovah. he is now an elder, pioneered for fifteen years and is married to the po's daughter.

there's nowt so queer as folk! (in american: go figure!)

zaphod

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Well I hope the Watchtower will now recommend a good counselling session to make the girl feel better when she does have to have blood. She must be traumatised at the thought. Stupid religion!

My heart goes out to that child.

As a JW child with a serious/chronic medical condition, I was often in the position of needing a transfusion. Of course, my JW mother struck upon an idea that doesn't seem to occur to many (that I know of)--just don't take your kid to the doctor/hospital at all! Then they won't know about the medical issue and will have no opportunity to force treatment. I almost died many times. (Don't let me get started about my mother's refusal to let me take birth control pills when I was a kid and hemmorhaging so bad I'd often faint, have dangerous anemia, etc.) The stories I could tell!

I was counseled by the Elders to be prepared in case an emergency happened while I was at school. I was instructed to show the blood card, memorize the "stance" explanation and claim it was my own belief, to physically fight those trying to force a transfusion and later pull out the IV needle at my 1st opportunity. I was required to physically resist just like one must resist a rape--to show you did everything you could to avoid it. I was also told by the oh-so-nice Elders that, if I did get blood, it would be because I didn't pray hard enough or was engaged in some "wrongdoing" that would cause J to forsake me.

Wait! It gets better! They told me I would be, at a minimum, be privately reproved and lose privileges and probably no "brother" would ever want to marry me because I would be like a rape victim (their words)--"damaged goods"!!

@#$%^& CULT!

• Bryan
    Bryan

That's great news, though, as several here have stated, I hope she gets the psychologocal help she needs with the bOrg brainwashing she's gone through.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

From the Vancouver Province newspaper, Jehovah's Witness, 14, loses fight to refuse transfusions Cancer sufferer cannot turn down blood, judge rules

Damian Inwood, with a file from Jack Keating
    The Province
    April 12, 2005

A 14-year-old Okanagan member of the Jehovah's Witness church has lost a bitter court battle against receiving blood transfusions.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Mary Boyd ruled yesterday that a provincial court judge had the power to authorize emergency transfusions against the girl's will.

Her lawyer, Shane Brady, said the girl's family is "disappointed" and is considering taking the case to the B.C. Court of Appeal.

"The family is disappointed because their position has been, all along, that once the court has found that she is as capable as you and I, that young woman should make the decision," said Brady.

The girl's name and her hometown can't be revealed, due to a publication ban. She was not in court yesterday.

Brady said the girl believed transfusions were a "violation of the biblical command to abstain from blood. The decision is based on her religious conscience."

The girl was diagnosed in December with a cancerous tumour on her right leg. The tumour was removed and she began chemotherapy.

After the girl and her family refused consent for blood transfusions, the case was forwarded to B.C.'s director of Child, Family and Community Service.

In court documents, the girl described how a transfusion would contravene her religious beliefs.

"It's no different than somebody getting sexually assaulted or raped or robbed or something," she said. "You'd feel violated because it's not anybody else's property, it's you."

Lawyers for the girl fought the case on the grounds the girl was not represented by legal counsel and that she was a "mature minor," capable of deciding her own treatment. They also said the girl's Charter rights were infringed by provincial law and she had suffered age discrimination.

Boyd said yesterday that by March 15, the girl's hemoglobin dropped to "well below" levels where a transfusion is normally given.

Boyd found that Provincial Court Judge Paul Meyers was "considered, thoughtful and sensitive" in ensuring the child had a fair hearing on March 18.

Boyd said doctors needed the "safety net" of having a transfusion available to continue with a more invasive cycle of chemo that the girl is due to start tomorrow. Meyers acted properly and "did everything possible to ensure the utmost fairness," said Boyd. That included talking to the girl by phone in her hospital bed.

Boyd said provincial laws allow courts to protect the rights of children in need of medical treatment. "All children are entitled to be protected from abuse and harm . . . the ultimate threat of harm would be death," she added.

Boyd said that while the girl was free to choose and practise her religion, that right was "not absolute" and orders could be made in a child's best interests.

"Ultimately, her religious beliefs don't override her right to life and health," Boyd said.

Raymond Busby, an elder in Burnaby's Capital Hill Jehovah's Witnesses congregation, said religious beliefs come first.

"The Bible has clear standards that we are not to take blood as Christians," he said.

[email protected]

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/story.html?id=4523cfb4-0671-4ca7-9833-78ed40db492d

• M.J.
    M.J.

Wow, rebel8. You could write a book! I'd be first in line to buy it!

• Bryan
    Bryan

(((((rebel8))))))

Wow, you've through a lot. I hope you have peace of mind now.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Special K
    Special K

(((rebel8)))

That was just absolutely horrible what they put you through.

Special K

• tweety
    tweety

Well, I am glad to hear that the courts stepped in and ruled for the blood transfusion.

Rebel8 - What a horrible thing that you had to go through.

Dee - sending you my love

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

"The Bible has clear standards that we are not to take blood as Christians," he said.

That is such utter bs...it says not to eat it..because it is sacred. That is all...having a transfution is not the same as eating it. There is no digestion,....it joins other blood and does exactly what blood is supposed to do.

I find it interesting they were accusing the court of age discrimination. HELLLOOOO!!! The kid is 14, she may be some what mature, but that doesn't make her a legal adult.

I do feel bad for the kid...what a lot on her shoulders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit