If there's some good in the Watchtower, why leave it?

by AlmostAtheist 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus
    God likes to use 'losers' to get His will accomplished.

Then, is it not wrong for the wt to make the claim that their org is better than other orgs? And why does the wt df the losers who are unable to meet it's high moral standards? Jesus treated losers much better than that.

S

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I tend to agree with Almost.

You guys would have had to have pretty much the same reaction to JC and his 12.

LJ, I don't actually feel the way I presented this topic, I stated it that way to try to take the "other side" of the issue. I tried my best to imagine why someone might stay despite knowing the truth about "The Truth", but I don't buy it myself.

It's easier to imagine the Watchtower paralleling with the Pharisees than it is with Jesus. They made up rules that had no scriptural support, ostensibly for the "protection" of the Jews, though Jesus showed it had more to do with their own ego. I think it's true that many people here on JWD would have taken the same attitude toward the Pharisees that they take today toward the Watchtower, but I don't think as many would reject Jesus outright if they lived then.

So again, how can a person comfortably associate with the Watchtower knowing the outright lies they tell and continue to tell? They've never admitted to misquoting all the authors whose words they yanked out of context to make it appear to say something it doesn't. They continue to hold to their death-dealing unscriptural blood policy, despite attempts to water it down over the years. They've never owned up to the mexico miltary-official bribery scandal. It's one thing to make a mistake, like King David. But when Nathan pointed it out, David repented. When we point it out, we're labelled "apostate" and are disfellowshipped.

That's why I can't understand it. Can you explain it, beyond simply saying, "There's some good in it"? After all, there's probably some good in the Ku Klux Klan, but I wouldn't use that reasoning to associate with them.

Dave

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Almost:

You're funny! Yeah. I should put on my head covering LOL - like viking horns!!

I was counseled once on a short skirt and also about a slit in my skirt - so I know the whole drill. They're hung up on modesty, brains, etc. the list goes on and on.

The problem with knowing all these things is that some JWs STILL will not leave because they are afraid that Jehovah is still using this organization so they are afraid they will miss out. I have a problem with their logic though. If Jehovah is cutting them slack for being imperfect, then why isn't he cutting slack to other religions also? Aren't they all wrong in varying degrees?

LHG

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

AA, I agree in many ways. I didn't fully believe. I did my best to be an upstanding publisher, even pioneered some. My lack of full belief probably accounts for not bringing anyone in. Also, I'm lousy at closing a sale.

However, it was how I was treated when I moved into my new husband's congregation that pushed me out the door. I am the daughter of an elder. A good kid. I move to a congregation where I am(was before marriage) friends with the PO's daughter. The PO's daughter turns her back on me and wont carry on any conversation. Other sisters in the hall walk away from me. I work hard at making friends and no one is game. I ask PO (at his home a block away from mine), supposedly friend of my dad, why? It was because my husband's dead father was a real asshole and so the family is tainted and is weak. (I tend to agree with what I learned of the father being a real asshole) This PO told me that because of the father the entire family will go to hell, and I married into that. I was hot and mad and asked him if he had the right to judge or if it was Jehovah's place and only jehovah's place. He got mad and kicked me out of the house.

THAT was only a couple of the instances. There were many more.

It THAT was Jehovah's congregation of "love", then lets give Jehovah a reason to damn me as he did my inlaws. My last memorial was 2 years later.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

God likes to use 'losers' to get His will accomplished.

Wow that brought back a memory. They used to always quote that scripture about God choosing the weak and broken people out of the earth or something like that. I can't remember the wording of the scripture.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Brenda:

I can't believe somebody would say that to you. Because of some other family member they won't bother with you, etc. and the going to hell bit? You are not kidding us are you? And these idiots have the gall to say they are "true Christians". This reeks of superstition. Are we back in the days of the witch trials? The irony of this is that these hypocrites would expect you to help them if they were in trouble and their "spiritual friends" were not around!

If I were in your hall though I would have spoken to you because I don't follow the crowd. In turn, of course, they would shun me which is okay.

LHG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I have an extremely low tolerance for disingenuousness. If I find out someone is intentionally deceiving me, it makes me angry. I expect the people I trust to act like adults, to be straightforward and honest and mature. As an organization, the Society acts like a selfish bullying child who lies as needed to get his way. I don't have time in my life for such foolishness.

SNG

• love11
    love11

Brenda- That's too bad that they tried to put that mind control on you by acting like you were carrying the past generation of sins with you. That's terrible to do that to people. Don't you believe it for one second! They're all twisted.

p.s. That's why you should leave it! They don't call it a cult for no reason at all.

• Honesty
    Honesty

And the reality of staying in is.....

*** Rbi8 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 ***
    But the lawless one's presence is according to the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and portents 10 and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth that they might be saved. 11 So that is why God lets an operation of error go to them, that they may get to believing the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

AlmostAtheist,

I think you a good point. For some, they have some things that the don't agree with, but other things that are more important to their beliefs that they do agree with. So they stay, keep their mouths shut, and live the life they want to live.

Me, I didn't agree with a lot of the stuff that was big picture for me, that's why I had to leave. But I did know a few families that didn't agree with what they considered little things, like letting your kids play on sports teams, going to see rated R movies...etc...but they didn't bring any attention to themselves either.

I think it varies were you lived too. My brother dated a pioneer several years ago that moved from a congregation in Canada. According to her family, it wasn't a big deal if you went to see a Rated R movie...and her dad was an elder..they had to stop THAT when they moved to our congregation right off the bat, hahah But that didn't stop her from sleeping with my brother.

I think she is still a pioneer today...but she is married so must have that lust contained hahah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit