If there's some good in the Watchtower, why leave it?

by AlmostAtheist 66 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Do you realize how much that same question is applied day in and day out to people living in abusive households or with addictive spouses? How many will utter the same thing while in a destructive relationship? And then use the rationale of 'he isn't like that all the time'..'we've had so many good times that I remember'..that sort of stuff - yanking on that one small thing that the victim sees as good and holding fast to that one memory in order to justify staying and taking another kick to the kidneys.

One must be able to look at what is bad and then what is good. Morality is not something that is found only in the WTS and neither is much of anything else they teach - most of what is reasonable and good can be found most anyplace else one looks. It is much easier to run up a list of what is bad or destructive and then ask the question 'why stay'? If a religion puts rules in place that would halt your ability to get necessary medical treatment for yourself, your family, your child and your family could die as a result of that religion - is that a good thing? Is it a good thing for a religion to tell you to stop having any relationship with your child, your parent, your grandparent by shunning? Is it a good thing for a religion to tell you how much education your child will have before they punish you for allowing that education? That's a good thing?

It is not a question of what is good - what might be good in the WTS is also good in any number of religions. It must be a question of what is destructive instead. Only then can you really decide whether to stay or go. If one stays in for their family and as a result they actively recruit, teach and study WTS policy, recognizing the harm it is doing to innocent lives, then only they can address the true motive for their adherence to the master. sammieswife.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Thanks for your comments, oompa. Let me state this clearly: I WILL NEVER SHUN MY CHILDREN! No way! And yes, it is odd being an elder while feeling as I do. I think it's a 'work in progress', and maybe I harbor the secret hope of 'fading accidentally' just like you did.

Restrangled: Well stated. They way Reveletion is forced to 'fullfill' the WT history is sickening. There's a lot of good, there's a lot of bad. I just put 'organized religion' down there in my priorities.

I have the feeling that rather soon that will cost me my 'privilege' of being an elder. And I think it will be a big relief!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I have the feeling that rather soon that will cost me my 'privilege' of being an elder. And I think it will be a big relief!

They call it a "privilege" in the same way Mary Poppins calls cleaning up the nursery a "game." TRICKSTERS!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Daniel P:

They call it a "privilege" in the same way Mary Poppins calls cleaning up the nursery a "game." TRICKSTERS!

It's also called: "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down."

r.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

@OP: There's "some good" in eating mercury-contaminated fish - it eases hunger pangs. BUT IT'S STILL POISON and will kill you. Staying in the bOrg puts you in alignment with a soul-crushing philosophy that prevents you from exercising your humanity.

And, unlike being a citizen of the USofA, you get no vote or chance to mold the direction of the bOrg - indeed, speaking your conscience is suicidal.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It's also called: "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down."

Now I'm gonna go watch Mary Poppins to see what other WT propoaganda is hidden in there!!!! ARG!!

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

The trouble with this religion is that it's very labour intensive in comparison to other Christian faiths. So when one becomes aware of the real truth, feelings of guilt for not doing enough for God are replaced with feelings of being burdened with unnecessary activities and "traditions of men".

But people put up with various things in life for perceived benefits. In this case, staying with the WTS to keep marriage/family together or helping loved ones come to realise their predicament may be necessary.

I am observing more and more JW's doing their own thing in the org. They 'filter out' information they do not agree with, go in service just so something can be put on the report slip at month end and are 'hit and miss' with the meetings. Males are not interested in "reaching out".

Seems to me that its more of a social thing for a lot of them - they refuse to be 'guilt tripped'.

Of course, each individual reacts differently - some instantly disassociate whilst others become mentally disconnected and fade out over a period of time when the perceived benefits are no longer there...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit