What's the purpose of restrictions after reinstatement?

by truthseeker 41 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

To humiliate and demean.... period!

u/d

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

It's for their benefit. While you're in a DF'd state they grow accustomed to treating you like dirt. Many of them actually enjoy it. Imposing restrictions after reinstatement allows them to gradually wean themselves from treating you like dirt. It also gives them time to find a new victim.

Walter

Owch~!

I imagine that is a likely scenario for some people; sad to hear...

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Love11:

The real question should be- Why do the JW's disfellowship repentant people when they state in their own law books that they will only disfellowship unrepentant people ?

The thing is they will follow the bible when they need to make a point or they will follow their own laws. They are literally making a new "bible" as they go along. Maybe in 10 years, this will have a new light shed on it and they will no longer do that.

This is an interesting point. Maybe if they ever start to suffer too much attrition due to the above, maybe some "new light" will find its way to the WT, but they'd better hope it's one of those "better-late-than-never" scenarios~!

• btafly
    btafly

Witnesses aren't even supposed to clap when a reinstatement is announced. Years ago the whole congregation would erupt in frantic applause when someone was reinstated because they were so happy that someone had "returned to the flock"...(barf)....But now, they are not even supposed to clap because, according to my elder dad, they are simply doing what they are "supposed" to do. Why should we clap for that?

Such bull sh**

So glad I'm out.

• Hondo
    Hondo

Wouldn't have to worry about reinstating and the associated follow-on restrictions if dissassociations, shunning, etc., etc., etc.... were done away with (fat chance of this happening of course).

CONTROL, CONTROL, and more CONTROL, plain and simple.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I never could understand why, even I was an elder . i remember debating the matter with other elders, who sort of agreed with me but said that it is done to be in line with "Theocratic direction".. I found some of my illegally photocopied pages of my old "Shephrding the Flock " book, before they took it back in the late 90's.

Unit 5c p131

Restrictions should be imposed to help the person see the need of continueing to make 'straight paths for his feet' and also out of consideration for the congregations conscience.. The privilege of sharing in the field service is restored when the individual is reinstated... Othe privileges such as commenting at meetings , having parts on the program and offering prayer at the meetings can be restored progressively when it is determined that the individual has progressed spiritually to the point that he is qualified and when it is judged by the elders that the extending of such privileges will not be offensive to the congregation .......It will be up to the elders of the congregation where he is now located to decide when certain privileges may be restored.

Still cannot see it. A 5 year old can answer up, without having to be "Qualified".....Legalism if you ask me.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    The privilege of sharing in the field service is restored when the individual is reinstated... Othe privileges such as commenting at meetings , having parts on the program and offering prayer at the meetings can be restored progressively when it is determined that the individual has progressed spiritually to the point that he is qualified and when it is judged by the elders that the extending of such privileges will not be offensive to the congregation

Doesn't that seem a little backwards? An "interested person" who was never a JW can comment the very first time he enters a kingdom hall. A "bible study" can join the school. They are pressured into doing this long before they ever go out in "field service".

I guess it's more important to get those magazines sold.

Walter

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Oroborus21,

you mentioned that

The reason for the restrictions less about further chastisment of the person and more about the conscience of others. Some might find it questionable for a brother who was DF'd and reinstated on Thursday night to be reading the Watchtower on Sunday morning and for whatever reason such a thing might be harmful to their faith.

While I can accept that some would feel this way, the fact that a repentant individual has already spent a year or more coming to the meetings without being able to talk to anyone, to prove his love for Jehovah, is in itself indication of FULL repentance. The Bible does not stipulate terms and conditions for repentance.

If Jehovah would make the sins of his people "white as snow" from the previous "scarlet color", then all is said and done. There is no need for JW's to go beyond the things written and make new rules.

If the conscience of others has not developed forgiveness, then that is there responsibility, not the repentant individual.

Of course, this argument is not a "one size fits all", but the parable of the prodigal son illustrated complete forgiveness, which can only come about without further qualifying restrictions.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Maybe they are afraid that you will raise your hand, comment and say something stupid or inappropriate.

DL76

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

its to put you in your place and show you who is in charge so that you wont forget it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit