What's the purpose of restrictions after reinstatement?

by truthseeker 41 Replies latest jw friends

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

It's all psychology. People want what they can't have. So if you tell a person, "you can't comment, or pray for a group, or read the Watchtower in front of the congo or give talks," suddenly on some level those things become "privileges" that a person wants. For instance, take a small child, 1 or 2 years old. What does that child want to play with? Her own toys, or other things that she isn't supposed to play with? With my niece it's always other things and she just ignors her own toys. So how do I get her to play with her toys rather than with things that might hurt her? I set her toys in front of her and then tell her she can't play with them. Then I take them away. Almost every time I do this suddenly those toys are something that she wants even though moments ago she couldn't have cared less about those toys. The same psychology is being used by the WTS. They are conditioning the person to believe that these "privileges" are something to be sought after. It's not so evil when an uncle is using this tactic to get his niece to play with her toys, it seems a little more sinister when the bOrg does it.

• blondie
    blondie

Scully, actually the WTS used to use the term "probation" in relation to the period of time after reinstatement...usually a year.

w72 2/15 p. 126 Questions from Readers ***

May

a person who has completed a period of unannounced probation be recommended for appointment as a ministerial servant?

Regarding ministerial servants 1 Timothy 3:10 says: "Let these be tested as to fitness first, then let them serve as ministers, as they are free from accusation." An individual?s having concluded a stipulated probation period for wrongdoing does not of itself imply that he is "free from accusation." It is not wise to entrust responsibility to such a person too soon. (1 Tim. 5:22) Enough time should have passed for him to establish that he has completely recovered himself from the weakness that was manifested in his wrong act or course. Over a sufficient period of time after the completion of the probation period he should have proved himself to be devoted to righteousness and as having genuine love for Jehovah and for his people. Others should be able to view him as a fine example in Christian conduct. So if he has really built up a fine reputation since completing his probation period, consideration could be given to recommending him to become, not an elder, but first a ministerial servant.

w71 7/15 p. 437 God?s Children Imitate What Is Good ***

The records show that, in our congregations, some need to be warned, others put on probation, and others have to be disfellowshiped

w67 2/15 p. 127 Avoid the Snare of "Saving Face" ***

However, there may be occasions, due to the seriousness of the sin, when the congregation committee finds it necessary to place a person on a probation of surveillance, as a helpful, corrective measure. Such probation is not to be viewed as some adverse judgment, something destructive of one?s "honor," a penalty to be bucked against. Rather, it is a loving provision affording him opportunity to prove the sincerity of his repentance and at the same time to help the repentant sinner recover his spirituality and to make him strong again. Kindly counsel given during the probationary period will build the person up so that he will not make a ?practice? of sin. Rather than try to "save face" by protesting a probation, and getting others involved emotionally, one who has committed a sin should welcome this loving arrangement leading to his recovery.

w66 9/1 p. 542 A Provision for Spiritual Help in Times of Need ***

If the wrong committed was not a public scandal, but serious enough to require discipline, then the erring one can be placed on a probation that is not announced to the congregation. During this time, usually one year, he should be given regular spiritual assistance to overcome his difficulty. Then the probation is lifted, again without announcement to the congregation. What a loving provision of God for truly repentant ones who fall into serious wrongdoing!

*** w63 7/1 p. 410 What Disfellowshiping Means ***

If the sin has not caused public notoriety and does not endanger the congregation, the one involved may be placed on probation. The terms of the discipline would be made clear and the one under such surveillance would report to the overseer once each month for the specified period as a loving arrangement to assist the individual to regain himself.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think it's so bloody twisted! They wouldn't dream of banning me from going on the service (which I loathed more than life itself at the time, thats how bad I felt) where I could be preaching anything to the householders - because this way they get their hours up and can add another publisher to their figures. But when it comes to answering up, which I enjoyed, they could lord it over me once more with their fattened bellies and bulbous noses!

(sorry - mini rant! I'm just remembering how awful it was being reinstated. I actually really enjoyed being disfellowshipped and attending meetings!)

• Honesty
    Honesty

he should have proved himself to be devoted to righteousness and as having genuine love for Jehovah and for his people. Others should be able to view him as a fine example in Christian conduct.

What love and what Christian conduct?

The whole screwed up cult is all about control.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What're restrictions for?

Why, to demonstrate once again that JWs are not christian, that's why! After all, if they can't follow their leader's instructions, they can hardly be justified in calling themselves his disciples.

Notice too that in the parable, the father was looking always for his son, yearning for his return and when he finally saw him, he ran to meet him!

Then he threw a party!

What parallels are there here with the congregations of JWs? None!

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

It is a scare tactic and control.

Leadership wants onlookers to know that if the rules are violated this is what will happen...during the period of DF the person will be shunned by family & friends, after reinstatement you still won't be a complete JW until the judicial committee deems you're ready.

Getting restrictions lifted is a bitch, the judicial committee tells the reinstated person they will monitor their progress and privileges will be given back over a period of time - of course field service is the first thing a person gets, then commenting, then talks, pioneering, mics/lit asst/mag asst for brothers, prayer for brothers. BUT the thing is most committees I know don't monitor the person, things are forgotten after the reinstated person is announced at the service meeting. The reinstated person most often will have to approach one of the elders on the committee after a few months and inquire about the privileges...he/she will get some line about how the elders are monitoring and will get back with him/her...after that meeting the elder will get with the other elders in a quick fashion and off the top of their heads decide which privileges to restore IF they even remember what is lacking. The entire process is asinine.

It is all about control. There isn't a scriptural basis.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Some might find it questionable for a brother who was DF'd and reinstated on Thursday night to be reading the Watchtower on Sunday morning and for whatever reason such a thing might be harmful to their faith.

I agree that some in the congregation might get their attitudes whacked up by a formerly DF'd person suddenly leaping back on tehe spiritual scene. But I think that's because of the legalistic environment the Watchtower has created. Those in the congregation would be in the same position as the other son in the Prodigal Son story. They could think, "I come to all the meetings, go out in service, I've never been DF'd, and now THIS GUY gets to read the Watchtower/give a talk/comment/whatever!" Because they have a bad attitude and don't understand what repentance and forgiveness is about, the now-reinstated person has to suffer even more. Beautiful.

The whole DF'ing thing is unscriptural to start with. So you start there, with a made-up teaching -- the congregation is authorized to take official judicial action against a person. How? There's no scripture to guide you (since that wasn't the intent of the verses they use for it), so they have to make some more stuff up. Judicial commitees. 3 or more brothers. Appeals. "Two witnesses". Ok, so now you've kicked him out. How does he get back? Again, there's no scripture that bears on it (outside of a vague reference by Paul to accept a wayward brother back) so you're back to the lab, cooking up more rules. Reinstatement. Probation. "Privileges".

Once you agree to make it up as you go, there's really no limit. "Do not go beyond what is written" -- in the Watchtower, or the 'pay attention' book, or the margins of your elder book...

Dave

• Shania
    Shania

Dave you are priceless-------------LOL-------making it up as they go-------------you sure are right my friend, that is a keeper and one I will show my friends.................are you sure your not an elder, you seem to know how the kangaroo court system works my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always enjoy your comments----You say what everyone is thinking.............we whole heartly agree

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

Sorry but rules are made to be broken:

I was serving as a Project Leader at WT HQ, when we needed a particular skill.

We learned of a local brother who had considerable professional experience. The problem however was that he had only been reinstated for 3 weeks and was still on restrictions. Besides, the bethel application clearly states that one must not have had judicial action for at least 2 years.

Well, what in heavens would we do? Thankfully the service department could override the bible code.

We got his restrictions lifted and brought him into the house of god for 2 months.

Thank goodness for rules!

• Golf
    Golf

Yeah, isn't that a beaut, they don't trust us but they wany us to trust them! A real beaut!!!!

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit