What's the purpose of restrictions after reinstatement?

by truthseeker 41 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Does anyone know why restrictions are still imposed on someone who has been reinstated?

A sister in my hall was recently reinstated - supposedly she's good enough for the congregation, good enough to preach, but not good enough to comment.

What is the scriptual basis for this practice?

Why do the Society not take Jesus' illustration of the prodigal son fully?

The Parable of the Prodigal Son

http://www.comparativereligion.com/prodigal.html

Here is the text in the Gospel According to Luke:

There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, "Father, give me my share of the estate." So he divided his property between them. Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.
    After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. When he came to his senses, he said, "How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men." So he got up and went to his father.

Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. "Your brother has come," he replied, "and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound." The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, "Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!" "My son," the father said, "you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." (Luke 15:11-32)

In the parable of the prodigal son, the application here is that if someone sins, and repents, they can receive God's mercy and forgiveness of sins. The father mentioned in the parable said that "we had to celebrate" when explaining the position to his other son.

There is no celebration for anyone reinstated, you cannot even clap for them.

But the question is, where and how did Jehovah's Witnesses aquire the practice of putting someone on restrictions, despite the sinners repentance?

Some of these restrictions, such as not commenting can last for 6 months to a year.

Also, if you have been disfellowshipped in the last year, you cannot qualify to pioneer the following year.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Good questions!

I guess the restrictions are to let you know that you are not off the hook yet, you can now fellowship with the congregation and be prayed for etc but your forgivness will come in stages. They need to make sure they have made the right decision and the restrictions keep you a "marked" person. They are just an extenstion of the punishment.

Brummie

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

There is no scriptural basis for continuing restrictions per say but there may be some scriptures that pertain to other's consciences that may apply.

The reason for the restrictions less about further chastisment of the person and more about the conscience of others. Some might find it questionable for a brother who was DF'd and reinstated on Thursday night to be reading the Watchtower on Sunday morning and for whatever reason such a thing might be harmful to their faith.

This is especially the case if say there was someone in the congregation that was in some way a "victim" or involved in the matter that lead to the DF'ing or one that may even have been DF'd along with the brother. Say a sister that he committed fornication with. Imagine how she would feel to see the bro she sinned with suddenly up reading the watchtower or praying on behalf of the whole congregation.

So really a gradual reinstatement to so-called privileges is considered a kindness of sorts.

-Eduardo

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

It's for their benefit. While you're in a DF'd state they grow accustomed to treating you like dirt. Many of them actually enjoy it. Imposing restrictions after reinstatement allows them to gradually wean themselves from treating you like dirt. It also gives them time to find a new victim.

Walter

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

so far NO scriptures in any of the answers and i'll bet there won't be because THERE AREN'T ANY!!!

• love11
    love11
    But the question is, where and how did Jehovah's Witnesses aquire the practice of putting someone on restrictions, despite the sinners repentance?

The real question should be- Why do the JW's disfellowship repentant people when they state in their own law books that they will only disfellowship unrepentant people ?

The thing is they will follow the bible when they need to make a point or they will follow their own laws. They are literally making a new "bible" as they go along. Maybe in 10 years, this will have a new light shed on it and they will no longer do that.

• Scully
    Scully

It's more like parole than forgiveness, isn't it?

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

The purpose? ... To show you that you no longer have control of your own life? The elders do?

Love

ESTEE

• El blanko
    El blanko

izz2cool

That's an interesting observation and I can see how that psychology could work in practise.

It is a weird rule isn't it. I understand why they do it, but as has already been said, I can't see where the Bible supports the rule. I'm sure a practising JW would put a "spin" on a scripture or two

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

This is a little off topic...

But...when you said....

In the parable of the prodigal son, the application here is that if someone sins, and repents, they can receive God's mercy and forgiveness of sins. The father mentioned in the parable said that "we had to celebrate" when explaining the position to his other son.

How do we know he repented? Is it because he admitted it?

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit