Kill the Kid, Now That's Justice! (WT 5/15/05 QFR)

by ezekiel3 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

This in it's entirety from the Watchtower May 15, 2005, page 31. You might find the reasoning a bit hollow.

Questions From Readers

Why were David and Bath-sheba not put to death for committing adultery, whereas their newborn son died?

The Mosaic Law stipulated: "In case a man is found lying down with a woman owned by an owner, both of them must then die together, the man lying down with the woman and the woman. So you must clear away what is bad out of Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:22) If Jehovah God had allowed the judicial case of David and Bath-sheba's sin to be handled by human judges under the Law, the adulterous couple would have been executed. Since the human judges could not read hearts, they were to render judgment on the basis of the conduct of the wrongdoers as established by the facts. An act of adultery called for the death sentence. The Israelite judges were not authorized to pardon that sin.

On the other hand, the true God can read hearts and forgive sins if he sees a basis for doing so. Since the case involved David, with whom He had made the Kingdom covenant, Jehovah chose to make an exception and deal with the matter himself. (2 Samuel 7:12-16) "The Judge of all the earth" has the right to make such a choice.?Genesis 18:25.

What did Jehovah see as he examined David's heart? The superscription to Psalm 51 says that this psalm reveals David's feelings "when Nathan the prophet came in to him after he had had relations with Bath-sheba." Psalm 51:1-4 states: "Show me favor, O God, according to your loving-kindness. According to the abundance of your mercies wipe out my transgressions. Thoroughly wash me from my error, and cleanse me even from my sin. For my transgressions I myself know, and my sin is in front of me constantly. Against you, you alone, I have sinned, and what is bad in your eyes I have done." Jehovah must have viewed this intense remorse in David's heart as an evidence of genuine repentance and decided, that there was a basis for showing mercy to the wrongdoers. Moreover, David himself was a merciful person, and Jehovah shows mercy to the merciful. (1 Samuel 24:4-7; Matthew 5:7; James 2:13) Hence, when David acknowledged his sin, Nathan told him: "Jehovah, in turn, does let your sin pass by. You will not die."-2 Samuel 12:13.

David and Bath-sheba were not to escape all consequences of their sin. "Because you have unquestionably treated Jehovah with disrespect by this thing," Nathan told David, "also the son himself, just born to you, will positively die." Their child grew sick and died despite the fasting and mourning that David carried on for seven days.-2 Samuel 12:14-18.

Some find it difficult to understand why the son had to die, since Deuteronomy 24: 16 states: "Children should not be put to death on account of fathers." But we must remember that if the case had been handled by human judges, the parents as well as the unborn child in the womb would have lost their lives. The loss of the son might also have helped David to realize more keenly how displeased Jehovah was with his sin with Bath-sheba. We can be confident that Jehovah dealt with the matter justly, for "perfect is his way."-2 Samuel 22:31.

• steve2
    steve2
    Some find it difficult to understand why the son had to die,

No kidding? Doesn't this demonstrate how truly back-to-front the Watch Tower is? Jehovah could see that David was truly repentant, but because there had to be some consequence for David's adulterous fling, this loving God, Jehovah, had the kid killed. Scary stuff for the innocent kid, I'd say.

Slavish adherence to scripture results in people having to twist inside out their normal humanity and compassion.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    But we must remember that if the case had been handled by human judges, the parents as well as the unborn child in the womb would have lost their lives.

I guess this is the reasoning? They all *would* have died if Jehovah had gone by the book, but he gave Chuck and Camila mercy leaving the kid to take the fall.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Some find it difficult to understand why the son had to die, since Deuteronomy 24: 16 states: "Children should not be put to death on account of fathers." But we must remember that if the case had been handled by human judges, the parents as well as the unborn child in the womb would have lost their lives. The loss of the son might also have helped David to realize more keenly how displeased Jehovah was with his sin with Bath-sheba. We can be confident that Jehovah dealt with the matter justly, for "perfect is his way."-2 Samuel 22:31.

This account has always been my biggest problem with regards to injustice in the Bible.No matter how you look at it,any angle,heart condition etc etc yadda yadda...there is no basis at all in killing...sorry Murdering, an innocent Child.

David had more lives than a Cat...imho he was an Evil Man deserving of Death.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The WT has always thrived on that sort of rubbish.

If you don't want to be a good little Dubbie your kids will die forever, without hope of salvation, and its all your fault.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

even sadder than this reasoning: the loyal jw defends this as being a logical and satisfying response. had a discussion with my sister about exactly this topic. no way to get through.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    "also the son himself, just born to you, will positively die."

So what is the teaching on whether or not David's kid gets resurrected?

Does it to and fro like the "men of Sodom" doctrine?

The little tyke was killed by J. E. Hoover just like the Sodomites.

The killing was just. The WT said so.

Chris

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

If you tried to discuss this with an elder, I'd expect you'd get that pitying look and that little shake of the head followed by the admonition that you are not spiritually mature enough to understand and accept God's will. More studying of the WBTS publications will be in order to adjust your thinking so that infantcide will make perfect sense to you.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    We can be confident that Jehovah dealt with the matter justly, for "perfect is his way."-2 Samuel 22:31

Here, they pass the matter off, since God's rationale is humanly incomprehensible and unjust. The WTS often uses such tactics in ultimately dismissing questions about Jehovah's ("J.E. Hoover's", I love that term!) way of handling such things.

Some find it difficult to understand why the son had to die, since Deuteronomy 24: 16 states: "Children should not be put to death on account of fathers."

So God violates his own standards. How else can this be explained but to say that God kept the two "sinners" alive while putting the innocent to death? Again, incomprehensible.

The loss of the son might also have helped David to realize more keenly how displeased Jehovah was with his sin with Bath-sheba

So J God decides that killing the son is a good way to teach a lesson? Did I mention that this account is incomprehensible?

Since the case involved David, with whom He had made the Kingdom covenant, Jehovah chose to make an exception and deal with the matter himself

David lucks out....again. Luckiest guy in the Bible. By the way, jws never have the luxury of having their matters handled directly by God. They have to go to the elders.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I think this story just underlines what a crock of shit the bible is -

1) The kid's death was unjust - IF there were a god that went to all the trouble of creating us, would he really be so petulant, childish, egotistical and unjust as to kill an innocent child; it sort of goes against him being a 'god of justice doesn't it? and obviously contradicts other scriptures extolling gods virtues

2) The kid died of disease - surely if the death were as a punishment it would have been instant rather than from some drawn out illness. This just shows the superstitious nature of the old testiment and the rather pathetic attempts to explain natural phenomena and disasters via supernatural means

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit