Attitude

by onacruse 10 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

A friend gave me this today:

Charles Swindoll:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a a company, a church, a home.

The remarkable thing is, we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.

We cannot change our past; we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way; we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have...and that is our attitude!

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you; we are in charge of our attitudes.

I'm not a big fan about "the power of positive thinking," as if just thinking something to be will make it happen.

However, I do feel that there is considerable value in these words, particularly in the sense of self-empowerment, self-validation, and self-meaning...things which we were socially and psychologically denied as JWs.

Craig

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

It is a positive attitude that gives one the get up and go to change our lives instead of wallowing in self pity.

Other people and circumstances can slow us down but it is completely our choice to stop or move forward.

• gumby
    gumby

Craig.....I read this years ago when I was in a multi-level marketing company. I have never forgotten those words and have applied them since I learned of it. Attitude can be changed at will........but I'm still a believer in the fact that when I really feel shitty.....changing my attitude doesn't ALWAYS cut it.

Gumby

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Craig- I love that!. I have it framed and sitting on a shelf on my desk. And I do believe it. Not so easy to live by sometimes but it does work.

• Carmel
    Carmel

twern't denyed ter me!

jahoba boy

• freedom96
    freedom96

I personally have no issue with "the power of positive thinking."

It sure beats the alternative.

• DHL
    DHL

Thanx Onacruse!

It's easy to forget this simple truth in daily life. Thanks for reminding.

DHL

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

there is a proverb here that said something like:

money lost - something lost

courage lost - lots lost

hope lost - all lost

When the last part is part of your attitude...

• JAVA
    JAVA

I too believe a positive attitude and self-esteem is priceless, and helps a person in many ways.

Something else that can influence our attitude is the theory of Self-Fulfilling Prophecy, that's been around for years. To a large extent we see ourselves from the feedback we receive from others. I believe most of us experienced the effects of this to one degree or another as Witnesses. High-control religious groups have a way of breaking the spirit and ones positive attitude.

It's little wonder that as former Witnesses we find ourselves reclaiming the stuff we lost--self-esteem and positive attitudes, are two examples.

• trevor
    trevor

Java

Where is you coffee cup you don't look dressed without it?

Your comments about the JWs ring true.

-------------------------

Onacruse

Your offering about attitude is very true.

It has been said that the way we react towards others is more important than how they treat us. I know first thing in the morning whether the day will be a diamond or a stone by the way I feel. How I feel effects how I react and that makes or breaks the day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit