Do you think the more you learn the Bible, the less you believe in it?

by jeanniebeanz 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

JeanieBeanz,

Just out of curiosity, what sorts of things were you trying to prove that you feel the proof has evaporated?

I may not be able to stay logged on much longer but will definitely come back to this thread and read whatever you write if you're still viewing this thread tonight~!

[edit:] Also, feel free to PM instead if you like.

• Jez
    Jez

The more I learn, the more I don't believe it was inspired.

Jez

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think if one can get away from taking the bible literally and love ancient poetry,mythology,art and ancient plays and what things meant way back then,,that is a good thing.

We can laugh at the contridictions with real joy,,the more we know about the ancients the more we know about ourselves and in this sense I see the bible,,as a tool to help the real lovers of these sort of thing to understand.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The bible has impacted the world and if we better understand the bible as mythology and ancient records in a story formate through out,,the more we understand what transformations man's thinking was under going in that region of the world.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I find the Bible is often used to fill the vacuum left when we separate ourselves from Reality; and that generally the more emphasis we place on the Bible, the less connection we have to life.

Perhaps if we put as much attention in being truly present and open in the moment as we do reading and discussing the Bible, we would actually experience the presence of Divinity; but we seldom do, so then the Bible becomes a distraction from truth, rather than a guide.

j

• jula71
    jula71

Wow, Jeannie, always with a thought p rovoking question. How can I explain it? I have always read it, and I have always believed but only believed what I was told. Now I almost don?t know what to believe. Many Biblical stories and texts just aren?t logical. I would tend to think a truly loving God would make his will more than a matter of blind faith.

• zman
    zman

mnb77 ....... The justice you speak of is condeming children for their parents sins??? Picture yourself as a all powerfull being, you think you might be able to come up with a better answer than killing off people? And the point on praise and worship, God put us in this situation right? he could stop it, but he lets it continue. He then demands worship from our sad state that he has imposed on us, because he then offers a way out. Justice is not giving imperfect direction to a imperfect people, give us a dam pillar of fire then I will be the first one in the door.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I see the bible as a book of ancient jewish history, tradition, and spiritual philosophy. It's a valuble insignht into an age old culture and is full of timeless principles and guidelines.

That being said, I don't beleive that it is inspired by God nor do I beleive it was meant as a literal instruction manual on how to live. It's far too vauge and open to corruption.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

JB,

It wasn't so much reading the bible more thoroughly (as a kid, I liked reading thru the "action packed" early Jewish books!) as much as it was my reading of anthropology and sociology (as I slowly got my worldy education) that led me to re-evaluate my old acceptance of the bible as God's "inspired" word.

W.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I believe in the bible, but within the context of Sacred Tradition. The bible is the record of the revelation of God to man, some of it is useless (I don't see how statistics are useful for anyone except scholars researching such things), some not so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit