Do you think the more you learn the Bible, the less you believe in it?

by jeanniebeanz 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

JT,

How does one really read themselves??? We need far more than just 5 senses or else we just have a very limited view. There has to be far more that these senses and we would need all of them to read.

• moanzy
    moanzy

You are right DragonLady, there is definately something up with Mnb77. How can someone reason that what God did in the Hebrew scriptures is just. If that is in fact "just" then it should be no problem to knock of a murderers family because we wouldn't want their genes spread around like a bad virus.

I sometimes wonder if the Hebrew scriptures are even about the All Powerful God most of us believe in. It kind of rings of Egyptian beliefs, As well as some of the other pagan beliefs at the time. I do believe in God, but I am leary of believing all the terrible murders and massacres in the Hebrew scriptures are from the Most High God. Most christian religions believe the Israelites were God's chosen people, but didn't most people in that time believe they were superior with their Gods.

Moanzy

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Yes. One sees how its not divinely inspired at all. But that also gives me a freedom to weighing ideas in the Bible and elsewhere which funny enough moves me to think about them more so.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

"How does one really read themselves??? "

I would say that the first step is turning attention inwards and silently (I repeat SILENTLY) watch the mind as it judges, interprets and comments on events and circumstances. As we do this there becomes a distinct difference between the picture of life, the abstraction which the mind paints, and the actual expression of Life.

Generally most all of attention is given to the painting, and we come to unquestionably believe the imitation is real. Conscious attention is in a sense God which gives a sense of life and actuality to whatever it dwells upon. So, it's extremely important where attention is focused.

Close and earnest inward investigation can reveal that he Bible is just an object within the painting; religious beliefs, are dohickies within the painting; the personal gods we worship are just things within the painting. It's all a story, and it can be clearly seen.

Now, what is not of the story? What is silently observing the painting or show? What is That? Who/what, am I, really? Offer up attention to That, and see what is discovered.

Be still, and know...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

JT,

You almost got me there that time, I was right on the edge.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

"You almost got me there that time."

I can't do shit. You, however, can keep sincerely and earnestly looking inwards and questioning what is real. It's about seeing what IS already.

Good luck to you friend.

j

• swiftbreeze
    swiftbreeze

I believe the Bible. The thing is: we are all the same yet we are all different. The bible is meant to apeal to all of mankind yet it is constructed to help all of us individually because we all are different. The most important part for me is finding the truth. All my life i have believed that the JW held the absolute truth and i believed it with all my heart, though there have been many times where i have had doubts. Like the first time i came across the teaching of the Trinity. for some reason i believed it although i was being taught something different. The main message that i'm learning now and really trying to wrap my mind around is that the gospel Jesus taught was for us to be loving and merciful while upholding in our own lives God's basic standards which if you think about it, are not burdensome. Although from time to time we will fall short of these but that is where Jesus ransom falls into place for us because we can be forgiven. Yes there are places in the bible where it seems that women get the short end of the stick but there are places where women are held in the highest regard. Rahab saved the Hebrews. A woman was Jesus dearest friend. A harlot washed Jesus feet with perfumed oil...He didnt say "you bought that with trick money" he accepted it. A woman saved her people when her husband was being a complete ass. Jesus came from a woman. A woman saved moses ....and on and on. Man takes the bible and twist the meaning making people feel worthless and disregarded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit