Do you think the more you learn the Bible, the less you believe in it?

by jeanniebeanz 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

"Who Wrote the Bible" was recommended to me here, and I got a copy for Christmas last year. It was very eye opening and interesting...it talks about the writing styles and political and religious climate during the time of the writing and really focuses on motives and motivations for why it was written. Fascinating read, even if you don't believe the argument.

After doing a lot of research in a variety of areas, I'm less inclined to believe the Bible is anything more than a bunch of stories. Personally, I cannot worship such a fickle diety as the one portrayed within.

However, that being said, I don't condemn or judge others if they they find its message(s) valuable. I mean, there are *some* good, practical morals in it (love your neighbour, do unto others, etc.). If it has power to make people happier or find peace in their lives, then why not.

It's when it's twisted and used for evil that it becomes a problem (aka most organized religions if not all).

My 2 cents.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The Bible as we have it today has been reworked many times, the evidence for this statement is abundant. The Gospel of John is a prime example of many easy to find redactions. The early church father rejected many books that were being passed around durring thier day not because they were truley interested in making sure which one were from God,,,the reason why they rejected certain books was because did not suport thier particular theology. It was either ban or its use discontinued because of some type of official censorship from leaders among groups of christians. The Gnostic and the literalist christian were at odds and the literalist gained more control or members and that's why many of the Gnostic gospels were lost until recently when they started to be rediscovered in the drier climates. Like the Nag Hanami?? whatever find. So the Bible that we have are merely selected books of early church father felt were good because they supported their theology not because they were being used by God to protect his word.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

i find that the more i read the bible, the less i believe the wts interpretation of it. funny, they encourage more bible reading by itself now. wonder if that has anything to do with the lack of growth?

they were right about one thing: reading the bible w/o their literature and you'll never come to the conclusions they sometimes come up with!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Thanks, all. Some of you have expressed the same issues that I have with the Bible, even though I want to believe it is divinely inspired it grows more difficult the more I read and compare.

The Gospel of John is a prime example of many easy to find redactions.

Frankiespeakin, can you point me to a source of information that you found helpful on this subject?

Personally, I cannot worship such a fickle diety as the one portrayed within.

Cheriserose, I have an issue with many of the personality traits of the God of the OT, traits that I did not learn existed as a JW. It was afte reading the Bible myself that his more erratic personality took shape in my mind.

reading of anthropology and sociology (as I slowly got my worldy education) that led me to re-evaluate my old acceptance of the bible as God's "inspired" word.

WhiskeyJack, Yes, my first exposure to Religious Phyisophy had my poor little traumatized JW brain spinning. LOL I think I was in shock after the first couple weeks, but it was SO interesting that I had to learn more. The semester which compared the origins of all the major religions was a barn burner.

nor do I beleive it was meant as a literal instruction manual on how to live.

what_truth, if this is true, then that would explainwhy we get into trouble trying to use it as a literal guide.

The bible is the record of the revelation of God to man

Classy, interesting thought.

There have been a few books mentioned on this thread that I'll have to check out. Thanks again, and please keep the ideas coming. A lot to think about.

J

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

READING - LEARNING depends not the sane as critiquing - one could learn the bible by rote but it be meaningless - but really studying it it and reading around the subject then yes one would start to believe it less

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    the less I believe the Bible the more I enjoy it.

I had to smile at this thought. Maybe I'm putting too much effort into this... LOL

The only thing reading the bible did for me was further convince me that god if he does exist is not worthy of my praise

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm heading there. It's tough to view him as a loving God when reading of his bloodthirsty wars...

I guess you would just have to see how God is just. If he allowed the Israelites to enter a land and allow the former people committing atrocious sin to remain, their sin is like yeast (example from Jesus ministry with the Pharisees and Sadducees) and run rampant through

My main issue with this is that if God is all powerful, why not choose a different chunk of realestate, one that had not already been occupied and built up by generations of other people? If he owns it all, what's the issue?

. Also the god of the bible advocated war and the murder of innocent women and children.

Part of my issue as well...

Well, I really want to believe it. Not sure if everything in the Bible attributed to God is really from God though

That's where I'm at...

I may not be able to stay logged on much longer but will definitely come back to this thread and read whatever you write if you're still viewing this thread tonight~!

[edit:] Also, feel free to PM instead if you like

Thanks, I'll pick out a couple of brain burners and post them later this evening.

I find the Bible is often used to fill the vacuum left when we separate ourselves from Reality; and that generally the more emphasis we place on the Bible, the less connection we have to life.

JT, I have to admit that many times your posts just fly right over my head. Can you break that down for us earthlings? LOL

. I would tend to think a truly loving God would make his will more than a matter of blind faith

THIS is my main beef...

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    I guess you would just have to see how God is just. If he allowed the Israelites to enter a land and allow the former people committing atrocious sin to remain, their sin is like yeast (example from Jesus ministry with the Pharisees and Sadducees) and run rampant through

Now praise God the end is nearing, because of the signs that are taking place with being re-established and the Jews coming back together and they are finding Christ as Savior in large numbers all foretold in the Bible.

mnb77

First off explain "how God is just"

An almighty and powerful God would not need to murder innocent women and children....right?

In addition I have read several of your posts mnb77 and I have concluded that you have to be a dub.......so many of your posts have pro WT literature quotes. You always defend the WBTS......and seek to reprove the apostate poster.......Why?

Dragonlady76

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Jeanie,

Try here but I'm sure there are some here like Peacful pete of Leo, or Nark,, that could point you to better places but here try this anyway:http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The last few years in the org. I consciously avoided study because whenever I did some research (even in the WT works) I came away empty and confused. I hated reading the weekly Bible reading as it only raised issues that could not be honestly resolved. My wife felt the same way. We actually were our happiest being the JWs that come to the hall having not prepared the WT or anything else and enjoyed the social aspect. It did not last long as it is our natures to be students. After I left my wife actually comnfided in an Elder that she found reading the Bible created doubts. His first reply was to read only the Gospels, when she replied that that was no help he discouraged the Bible reading in favor of the WT. That was a big eye opener.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

"Can you break that down for us earthlings? "

What we seek is the ultimate truth: the actuality and reality of what we really are. Can our inner most essence and being be found in a book? Is reality ever experienced from a page?

We read the Bible because we are under some belief that it will reveal something substantial. Can ink on cellulose reveal what can only be experienced within the most intimate sense of conscious being/life?

The ultimate and most meaningful truth is within the consciousness which reads, not in what is read. The Bible keeps us looking outwards, when what we seek is -- in.

The only book we need read, is ourself.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit