Do you think the more you learn the Bible, the less you believe in it?

by jeanniebeanz 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanz
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

There are probably thousands of ways to "learn the Bible" and to "believe in it", making a general answer difficult. Personally I would say "yes", but immediately add: the less I believe the Bible the more I enjoy it.

• zman
    zman

I just recently tried to read the bible through again, this time with a clear non jw view. I made it to Psalms, how can a 'loving god kill nations of women and children? This really disillusioned me to the concept of worshiping a 'thing' that can just destroy people at a whim. The only thing reading the bible did for me was further convince me that god if he does exist is not worthy of my praise.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I don't buy any of the Bible being inspired anymore, but I find it more and more facinating. I love reading about how the books were compiled and the conditions they were written in.

GBL

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I believe in God!

I don't believe in the bible!

Brooke

• mnb77
    mnb77

I must say that the more I learn about the bible, the more things connect and make sense. I have also researched several cults including LDS, JW, SDA and Cath. I can see where each of these groups get their basing, but I also see how they have confused the real meaning of what the Bible says.

To zman who wrote :

?I just recently tried to read the bible through again, this time with a clear non jw view. I made it to Psalms, how can a 'loving god kill nations of women and children? This really disillusioned me to the concept of worshiping a 'thing' that can just destroy people at a whim. The only thing reading the bible did for me was further convince me that god if he does exist is not worthy of my praise.?

I guess you would just have to see how God is just. If he allowed the Israelites to enter a land and allow the former people committing atrocious sin to remain, their sin is like yeast (example from Jesus ministry with the Pharisees and Sadducees) and run rampant through

Now praise God the end is nearing, because of the signs that are taking place with being re-established and the Jews coming back together and they are finding Christ as Savior in large numbers all foretold in the Bible.

mnb77

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

I do~! But I also don't come from a JW background and had been raised at first a Methodist, then when my mother and father got divorced ended up alternating weekends at an evangelical church and a Southern Baptist church. After I went through many things, I eventually came back to seeking a relationship with God and decided to be nondenominational, meaning I feel free to go to whatever church that preaches and teaches the Bible in such a way I feel is clear and matches up with what is written, in a clear manner that could be understood by anyone reading themselves rather than some vague things taken out of context to support some grand conclusion.

I've also spent years sharing my own views with others and debating on net forums, though I've slowed down a lot over the last couple years as a result of going to school FT to become a nurse (dropped my plans to go to pharmacy school, originally) and working as well as trying to get a band together and getting married just last November. My main motive for being here is that I was first a friend to a JW and am now married to the same JW, love her, and wanted to help her get out of her deep depression resulting from feeling the WT is God's sole true channel and that she's unforgiven because she's DF'd by this obviously far from perfect group of old men somewhere.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Besides the fact the bible is chock full of contradictions, I have come to the conclusion that men wrote the bible and it has nothing to do with god, if there is one, and that the men who wrote the bible were male chauvinist pigs. Also the god of the bible advocated war and the murder of innocent women and children. <----Not sure where the love for his earthly children were on this. I agree with Zman, the god of the bible is not worthy of my praise.

Dragonlady76

• Slick Willie
    Slick Willie

Well, I really want to believe it. Not sure if everything in the Bible attributed to God is really from God though. A lot of the Old Testament stuff makes God seem like a childish, ego-driven maniac who doesn't even seem to understand or care about his own creation.

But what do you think Jeannie?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    But what do you think Jeannie?

Having a hard time right now. It seems everytime I set out to prove a long held belief using the Bible, the proof evaporates under closer examination. Very frustrating...

I keep trying though... My main issues revolve around why an all powerful God would have such a hard time leaving a clear message.

Jeannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit