Why the announcement change?

by jula71 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I totally agree with you Jula, this is one factor in the announcement change for sure, I would think. Those poor, mindless drones.

GBL

• Odrade
    Odrade

wasn't there a "this person is to be treated as a disfellowshipped person" explanation somewhere? can't find it...

And I agree, to the rank and file, a DA announcement is much worse than an DF. But think what it would be like as a JW with secret doubts, sitting in the audience and you've just heard your 3rd DA announcement in 6 months? Wouldn't you wonder what the hell was going on?

I don't think I heard more than 3 DA announcements the entire time I was growing up. But in the last several years, not counting this board, I've either heard myself or heard of probably a dozen, just in my local area.

To hardcore JWs they will just think "satan got a good wedge in this area," but to someone who is having issues, it might be enough to make them investigate. Of course changing the announcement will make the distinction a moot point, and the good little JWs will just pin it all on immorality.

O

• jula71
    jula71

Chapter 14

DISASSOCIATION

The term "disassociation" applies to the action taken by a person who, although a baptized member of the congregation, deliberately repudiates his Christian standing, rejecting the congregation by his actions or by stating that he no longer wants to be recognized as or known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Because he is disassociated, his situation before Jehovah is far different from that of an inactive Christian, one who no longer shares in the field ministry. An inactive person may have failed to study God's Word regularly, or because of experiencing personal problems or persecution, he may have lost his zeal for serving Jehovah. The elders as well as other concerned members of the congregation will continue rendering appropriate spiritual assistance to an inactive brother. (Rom. 15:1; 1 Thess. 5:14; Heb. 12:12) However, the person who disassociates himself by repudiating the faith and deliberately abandoning Jehovah's worship is viewed in the same way as one who is disfellowshipped. A brief announcement is made to inform the congregation, stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Concerning those who renounced their Christian faith in his day, the apostle John wrote: "They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us." (1 John 2:19) For example, a person might renounce his place in the Christian congregation by his actions, such as by becoming part of a secular organization that has objectives contrary to the Bible and, hence, is under judgment by Jehovah God. (Isa. 2:4; Rev. 19:17-21) If a person who is a Christian chooses to join those who are disapproved by God, a brief announcement is made to the congregation, stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." Such a person is treated in the same way as a disfellowshipped person. The presiding overseer should approve this announcement.

HadEnuf, the change is not to say ?so and so has been DF?d or DA?d? but the change here below.

ANNOUNCEMENT OF DISFELLOWSHIPPING

When it is necessary to disfellowship an unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation, a brief announcement is made, simply stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." There is no need to elaborate. This will alert faithful members of the congregation to stop associating with that person. (1 Cor. 5:11) The presiding overseer should approve this announcement.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Thank you so much jula! Duh...I should have known that. What a crock. Talk about knowing how to "manipulate" the "flock" into believing that someone was involved in what they would call "wrongdoing", when they just faded away. Jeeeeeeeshhhhhhhhhh...it never ends.

Thanks again!

Cathy L. "Thank You For Your Support"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    when this happens, some "faithful" will be more prone to question, "why?" Asking, why, will lead someone to do the one thing the WT fears most, research to find answers to their questions.

"Why" is THE worst question that a JW can ask. It begins a chain of thought that the WTS wants to immediatedly crush. That new "shorter" announcement will cause all the "faithful" to automatically assume the worst of all sins must have been committed.

I had been a loyal JW for 30 years and had never been counseled or in any kind of "trouble". Even something that a sister had accused me of and ended up in an "official meeting" was dismissed the moment she opened her mouth. She had a past history of accusing others of things that never happened but I was new in that congo and didn't know any of this.

Having said that, everyone was shocked when I DAed myself 5 1/2 years ago. Now that I have discovered even MORE about the WTS during these years---I want nothing more than to show these things to the JWs....................but we all know how clever they are in trying to keep the truth about their religion from the very people who should be told.

I know when I heard that someone was now "not a JW" I always thought the worst, that they must have had a secret sin they had been hiding and that Jehovah had revealed it to keep the congo clean. I admit I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out what they must have done!

There was also the "resolve" that it would NEVER happen to ME but in the end of course-it did. By this time I didn't WANT to be thought of as a JW any more. It had nothing to do with sex, drugs and rock and roll or murder, as the WTS would have the JWs believe.

JWs are going to the 'net and researching things they might have heard about, and finding out just what they have been blindly swallowing. It makes them mad when they discover all these things and now WANT answers----going full circle----that the WTS cannot give logical answer to, and they have to keep the JWs from this---by shunning.

Long live the Internet!

Annie

• Honesty
    Honesty

It might mess their strategy up a bit if the DA annoucement was made by us as we are making a comment during the WT Study.

"And God wants us to serve him out of love and brothers that's the reason I know this is why the WTBTS and the Governing Body have been so faithful in helping us to serve Him out of fear instead of love. I quit this crazy demonised cult right now. CYA."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I agree that this may lead to confusion, at least initially. How many dubs read all through the Org. book , especially technical stuff about unsavory matters

When the annoncement is made, "Joe Bloggs is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" , Sister Dotty could think, "They did not say he is disfellowshipped or anything, I had better give him a call"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Julia,

You pose an interesting scenario. Perhaps you're right. I think what has to be factored into it too is the absolute hatred the Borgmeisters have for the so-called "apostates". I use the word "hatred" advisedly for that is what the WTS' publications teach. Yep, the dubbies are great haters!

It follows then that the Borgmeisters just can't tolerate it when members of the R&F 'resign' their membership. After all, it is "God's organisation"......................................isn't it?????????

How glad we can be that it really doesn't matter, they can call me Pinocchio for all I care!

Cheers in freedom, Ozzie

• JH
    JH
    They just change the rules as they go along.

I agree with that.

Since nothing is happening, and the end isn't coming like expected, they flip flop rules, add some here, take some off there, to make followers believe that they are in constant contact with the creator.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    What happens if I hear that an announcement is read that So and So is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Since they didn't say from the platform that they were DF'd or DA'd, then I should be able to talk to them because the rules are about not speaking to someone who is DF'd or DA'd. Have they ever said that I cannot speak to someone who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Exactly, I've often thought that Jesus instruction on this was basically 'start again'

"...if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector"

But perhaps the wts interprets this differently - it seems they read "as a stranger" to be "shun them, marginalise them, or even slander them if need be"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"take heed then how you hear, for to him who has more will be given"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit