Why the announcement change?

by jula71 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jula71
    jula71

I have been thinking about why the change in the way DF?d and DA?d are announced, then it hit me. I know in my area more and more are choosing to leave on their own terms (DA). I believe the "FDS" are starting to see this more and more, when this happens, some "faithful" will be more prone to question, "why?" Asking, why, will lead someone to do the one thing the WT fears most, research to find answers to their questions. With the announcement change, the distinction is no longer there. Hard core witnesses will assume the announced was DF?d, thinking that no one in their right mind would choose to leave the truth. Any thoughts to this?

• Odrade
    Odrade

Never occurred to me, but I think it's a good possibility. I have wondered what it would be like for a congregation to hear multiple DA announcements in a year, if it would make some hangers-on decide to check out why? The announcement change would prevent that my allowing the cong to just assume the person is "bad."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Sounds like a very reasonable explanation. It also allows them to "DA" people for blood transfusions and the like without it being obvious. The announcement's the same, it looks like the person did something wrong and is being DF'd for it.

Sly move.

Dave

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

There's no doubt in my mind that they've done this to protect themselves from some legal implications, perhaps not to be accused of slander or defamation.

I'm sure there's some gain somewhere for the WTBTS in doing this.

DY

• Pwned
    Pwned

sounds reasonable but actually i think that most people view a DA as much worse than a DF, its like JW's are conditioned to believe that a DA's person must be possessed by demons.

• minimus
    minimus

They just change the rules as they go along. They did it with Ray Franz and they'll do it again.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

What happens if I hear that an announcement is read that So and So is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Since they didn't say from the platform that they were DF'd or DA'd, then I should be able to talk to them because the rules are about not speaking to someone who is DF'd or DA'd. Have they ever said that I cannot speak to someone who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses? I don't think so. Any comment?

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Re: Why the announcement change?

BECAUSE THEIR LAWYERS SAID TO.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    What happens if I hear that an announcement is read that So and So is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

In your heart you hope that the reason is a DAs. If it turns out that way you hopefully find a way on the QT to talk to that person and find out why? I'm the nosey type and find encouragement from talking to other disenchanted ones.

FairMind

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Excuse my ignorance...but what is this announcement change? I am kind of sick today and don't have the energy to find any thread on this.

Could someone enlighten me please?

Cathy L. "Thank You For Your Support"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit