I WENT TO THE MEMORIAL LAST NIGHT.....

by Mary 45 Replies latest jw friends

• apocalypse
    apocalypse

We would have been glad to have you.

Of course, we had to do all this right under their noses.

Can you imagine participating?

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I still think that a lot of these things reflect the locality where you live. The last year I went was dreadful, but it really was a reflection of the cold, unloving cong I attended. Prior to that the memorial was actually somewhat enjoyable for me. More focus on Jesus than any other time of the year. everybody in new clthes, etc. And I had, until I moved to Durant, OK, always attended congrgation that were very warm and friendly. My big disappointment was that as a MS I got to be an attendant or work in parking, but they'd never let me serve the emblems cause my hands shake too bad (a health condition I have no control over). I guess they were afraid I'd spill wine on some one's new outfit.

I have not been in a couple of years. My mom went (in Durant), she said their attendance was down, but she did have a nice visit with some of the elderly sisters that we were always fond of. Neither of my sisters went. My oldest sister is very anti-witness right now, esp since her Jesus-freak Pentecostal boyfriend says Witnesses are all goin to Hell. My other sister told my mom she'd prolly go, but when I called last her last night to get the latest gossip from our hometown cong, she said she wasn't able to go...the kids had baseball practice and she had to do the one that was most important. We had a good laugh.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks Adel, I'll follow your advice.

• Snowcrash
    Snowcrash

I went. As they passed the wine, I started to laugh. A quote from The Family Guy came to mind. "This is the blood of Christ? That guy must have been loaded 24/7!" I shared the quote with my father, and we both got a big kick out of it.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I went for the wife also.By the sounds of it those of you here who went listened more than I did.

Anyways,he mentioned the Judas thing here too(I"m gonna do some research on it),then he used 1cor 11:24-25 like he did last year,and again this year he didn't read verse 26..."until he arrives."

Hope this is the last time I have to go.And yes,the attendance was much lower than years past.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

It occured to me, last night listening to those hatchet bible readings, that I'd never seen anywhere in the Bible where the memorial dinner was observed with people passing the bread and wine and not partaking. In every instance where it's mentioned, those in attendance were admonished to eat and drink and to keep doing in remembrance.

With that in mind, it seems that the only conclusion to come to if JW happen to be right is that the annointed, since only they partake, should be the only ones actually observing this memorial.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

My question is this, the last memorial I attended in Texarkana had James Simcox as the speaker. He gave the memorial talk at Central Cong and then came to the Arkansas Cong and gave the talk there. At both halls he was passed the emblems. So did he break the rules by observing it twice in one year?

And, since he was such a stickler for details, even making us replace the wallpaper in our new hall (it had the fleu de leis on it--he said it was a ccatholic symbol), how could he overlook his celebrating the memorial twice?

• Scully
    Scully

jeanniebeanz writes:

If they cannot honor Christ on the one night of the year that they claim to be in honor of his wishes, why do it at all?

I think the Daily Text for March 24 describes exactly what their focus is:

Matt. 24:45 - Who really is the faithful and discreet slave?

*hint*... It sure isn't Jesus.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

i had to work this year...and i think the last 8 yrs, i had to work on memorial night.........but if recall, i think i mentioned this on another thread....doesn't the bible say Jesus said keep doing this in remembrance of me until i return....or something to that nature.....if the dubs believe he returned in 1914 and picked them as the most purest religion....why are they still doing it???

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Been thinking. After my 1st memorial/1st KH visit, I asked my friend about no one there being under the new covenant. And that the New Covenant was just for the little flock, remnant of the 144,000. This was his 3rd memorial, soon to be baptised, and he repplied to me - is that what the speaker said? are you sure? I didn't pick any of that up. Hw was also careful to make a distinction between apostles & disciples.

It occurs to me today, that apparently all JWs since the original evening meal were under the new covenant, and all partook of the emblems until 1935, when Rutherford changed the rules. So for 17 years after being appointed the faithful & discreet slave class, even that class didn't even know that their class existed. Until 1935, the faithful & discreet class (then all of Jehovah's Witnesses) did not believe in two classes of JW Christians. My brain hurts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit