Memorial experiences 2005 thread

by Jez 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheListener
    TheListener

New York, I agree. This wasn't a come join our fun family outline. This was a stop sitting on the fence you stupid bastQ#%@# outline. That's why they made such an effort to invite so many. Although some here weren't invited (lucky) there was a concerted effort to get the numbers up.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hey guys, the outline is the same as the last few years.

The end of the talk was a letter from the branch that was supposed to be read word for word, but not sound scripted, or like it was being read.

That letter/announcement was the most hardline thing I've heard from them in a long time. "If your nota witness already, you better get on the boat. If you are a witness, YOUR NOT CUTTING IT, if you were cutting it we wouldnt have to help you out with your preaching by making announcements like this at the end of memorial. You guys better start finding a way to do more."

• JH
    JH

I went to the Memorial last night. I was greeted with smiles and handshakes although I'm inactive since 13 years. The talk was dull, like usual. No one took the emblems.

Same faces, but older, fatter, and less hair.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Needless to say, we didn't go. But it was pretty surprising that nobody invited Gina. You'll recall that as far as the congregation is concerned, I'm an evil apostate rebel that Jehovah will delight in having ravens feast on 'very soon', while Gina is the poor, weak, spiritually-starved wife-in-subjection living in my spiritually bereft household.

Nobody called. I was at least expecting a ring-up from the elders on her JC.

That's exactly what we want, of course, but it's still surprising.

Dave

• Spook
    Spook

It was the last meeting I'm attending. I have my DA letter ready to go. But on more amusing tones, I liked that all the sexy disfellowshipped girls were there. Hehe. Finally some attractive, normal people in the kingdom hall! I wish I had scored some numbers, but that would have spoiled the surprise!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thanks Ipsec.

You know how each speaker stresses the points they feel strongly about. I'd probably be less irritated if our speaker stuck more to the outline instead of stressing his personal pet peeves. We also had a circuit overseer give our talk. We all know what the co's pet peeves are. attendance, service, and money and not necessarily in that order - oh and by the way how often do you cover your territory brothers?

• Flash
    Flash

Sunnygal41

FLASH!!! DUDE!!! Don't let them get to you...........I see you're from CT also...........

Thanks Sunny, The cult mentality and culture has caused me to have great anger whenever I'm around and them and the talk turns to religion! Yes, I'm a fellow CT Yankee, I live in Fairfield County.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I went out for beer and wings.

GBL

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

I posted this already in the thread about the WT's arrogance, but it might fit better here:

I went to the Memorial service last night with my DF'd JW wife. Many of the people were surely nice enough, and maybe only a couple were somewhat openly rude to my wife via the way they looked at her. The service message did deal with Jesus but mainly was focused on explaining how the 144,000 are supposed to be the only partakers of the emblems.

It was tough sitting there hearing their misinterpretations and not openly refuting the claims to my wife (such as how they say the little flock Jesus talked about - His disciples - were actually the 144k and then stating some other key verses were specific to the 144k even though there was no mention at all in the scriptures cited that the 144k were being discussed, and also how doing the communion as often as you will actually means as often as you do it once a year, it's more special when only once a year vs. every week or whatever, etc..), but I respected the people and their event. I did talk too much after the service, but my wife finally got interested enough to start reading about all the WT prophecies late last night and was pretty surprised to see how the early WT views sharply contrast with modern ones. She's going to want to see actual books cited, though, before she'll likely trust what she's reading; maybe she can get some scans?

Anyway, I was glad they talked about Jesus and that He was in they lyrics of some songs, but the main message just seemed to be that most JW's aren't annointed rather than Jesus is our worthy sacrifice, and it was strange for me to pass the emblems past myself as well as watch everyone else do the same; it felt like some sort of cult ritual or something -- very strange, even though I've passed taking the emblems in my own church a few times back in the day when I felt I was really heavy into sin and especially far away from God. I respect the JW's (most of them, anyway) but just can't get how they could read the Bible and come up with some of the understandings they have. The hall we went to was packed as well as having extra chairs going out into the lobby area, but that same uncomfortable silence while the emblems were being passed out was present there, too.

• amac
    amac

I went...quite boring. It has always struck me funny how all the elders who pass the emblems around go and sit back down and the speaker passes it along their row. They just finished passing them around the whole KH! It's funny all the unscriptural superstitions about it...like the elders must be sitting when they pass the emblems, when they are standing it doesn't count. And since we are just observing the memorial, why is it absolutely necessary that EVERYONE actually touches and passes the plate and glass. Why don't they just invite any anointed to come sit on stage and partake and we can all watch.

Also, is it just me or does it seem like the anointed has been hovering around 8,500 for about forever!?!? Don't these old people die? Anyone have any statistics handy on what the numbers were years ago?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit