Memorial experiences 2005 thread

by Jez 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Jez, we could have been at the same memorial!

The brother that said the prayer before passing the bread, made a comment about the new people here, that they could attain everlasting life if they associated with the org! I wonder how they must have felt hearing that, that they are doomed if they don't continue to associate.

There was the usual faith without works is dead, read Heb - don't miss meetings, must attend to get our spiritual food, offer of a free home bible study blah blah blah.

I was listening afterwards to my mom and another brother talking. She said how much better the memorial is now, it's so simple. She never liked listening to the old memorial talks in the past! I guess she didn't want to focus on Jesus and what he did/went through.

BB

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Did they spend the usual 1/3 of the talk telling people NOT to partake??

Walter

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Just got back. Suffered through the talk - but felt satisfied that I rebelled (even if only in small ways) by not wearing panty-hose, wearing a borderline skirt (it showed a little knee when I sat down), and by not bringing a bible or songbook.

I agree with 95stormfront. . .

One hour our of my life to keep the wife happy for another year

One sacrificed hour per year to keep my mom happy . . . not a big deal.

- CF

• heathen
    heathen

I'd like to see your knee sweetie .................. LMAO

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Heathen . . . you're such a . . . heathen!

- CF

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux
    The speaker talked about the same ol stuff...at the end, the speaker woke everyone up with, "Oh, and we are pleased to announce..anyone that would like to have a free bible study with JWs can approach one of the attendants tonight."

They must have been reading from the same script at the one I attended. It was something like "We'd like to congratulate those of you who are visiting for the first time. It's fortunate that you are here tonight, because we have a very special announcement. The organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is pleased to announce that any newly-interested ones in attendance here tonight may receive a FREE home Bible study with a fully qualified minister at a time and location of your choice."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

O K , I also also kept my wife happy by going. It was indeed painless and over fairly quickly. The hall was only just about full , no overflow of people

We also had an over the top announcement that we could have a free home Bible Study ( I thought of asking for one , since they totally ignored my 'Bible Questions' when I was there , but dismissed the thought. I guess they only want people who will swallow the stuff they preach - And it aint a Bible study, It is brochure study! )

I remember wondering how a memorial of Christs death could spend so much time talking about the earthly "new world" rather than The Christ himself and his covenant for a heavenly kingdom.

When I was young it all meant so much ..................

• Glofishy
    Glofishy

I've been a friendly observer to the JW's for about 7 memorials now...and I didn't hear anything different other than the invitation to have a free home bible study.

A family member of my husband's was there that was disfellowshipped. I could tell she was hurting and I made a point to say hello to her, smile at her and make some small talk. I just can't be rude to someone, especially someone that admittedly made some mistakes, but heck, at least she's trying to correct it. I kinda felt hurt for her when I noticed she practically darted out the door at the KH when the thing was over. I'm sure that me talking with her didn't make some people exactly happy, but I just don't see the sense in being mean...especially since I really love her. Crap happens to everyone, none of us are perfect.

On a side note, the unleavened bread seemed especially unappetizing this time around. Not sure if it was because it was darker than I expected or what? Does anyone know what they do with the wine and the overcooked crackers when the memorial is over?

• Golf
    Golf

I'm not into reruns except, 'Gone with the Wind."

Golf

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

It just cracks me up that they actually say "FREE home bible study". Like they usually charge or something. It sounds like such a gimmick.

"For $19.99 you can have your very own home bible study... that's right Mark, and if you act now we'll throw in these lovely steak knives!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit