JW table at small airport

by Bryan 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Jeannie:

My prior post was not an ad hominem attack as I was clearly not talking about you or criticizing you as a person but rather I was and am criticizing your ridiculous POSITION that JWs should be banned and prohibited from engaging in all forms of free exercise of religion and freedom of speech because in your estimation they are a destructive cult, detrimental to society.

While my prior post was not an ad hominem attack, This IS:

You obviously are incapable of both discerning a simple point being made and understanding when satire is being utilized to enhance the point otherwise you would not have said I was a "typical JW" "attacking the person" and excerpted as you did.

(I wonder if you can even appreciate the difference?)

-Eduardo

• Bryan
    Bryan

Moanzy:

I think your mom is with my mom having coffee. They are discussing how retarded their children are

Sorry moanzy, I'm not sure who you are, hopefull, you don't know anything about me. But this remark is not funny.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Bryan
    Bryan
    it is a Government owned forum so in that sense it IS just like standing on a public corner and Bryan is wrong on that point.

If it's the same, why do you need permissin to set up in the airport?

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    While my prior post was not an ad hominem attack, This IS:

You obviously are incapable of both discerning a simple point being made and understanding when satire is being utilized to enhance the point otherwise you would not have said I was a "typical JW" "attacking the person" and excerpted as you did.

typical. LOL

J

edited to add:

Actually, I've been thinking about this type of personal attack, and have noticed that most of the time when it occurs, the person is rabidly pro JW. It is one thing to disagree and have a lively debate where all opinions have weight and the people speaking them are accorded respect, but when people start flinging mud and getting personal, it is almost always the person taking the pro-JW position.

I believe that this has been commented on in other threads as well. Has this been your experience as well?

J

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Bryan,

Because it is what is considered a limited public forum. There are certain regulations for use (just like posting policy of this board, although this is a private forum). Merely asking for "permission" or having to obtain a license prior to conducting constitutionally protected activities is not the defining element of whether something is a public forum or not.

Even public forums which we immediately think of as being "free to use" without a prior license such as a park or public street are subject to certain limitations. To host a rally in a park or to conduct a street march usually requires a license or permission from the government.

There has been much case-law on the issue of what is what is not a public forum and what is and what is not an unconstitutional restriction on the use of such a public forum.

Airports have traditionally been recognized as such public forums making them the traditional grounds of Hari Krishnas and those deaf people that come around leaving the card and thingy for you to buy from them. That JWs would use them too is neither new nor unusual, though because of the advance permission requirement, most do not set up a table - only because they are too lazy to go and get permission.

Actually, in the larger cities, Airports are these days pretty useless for pamphleteering or solicitation because of the security procedures and the fact that most of the passengers waiting to board or coming from planes are isolated from the rest of the people. (and the people at the points prior to the security checkpoints such as the lobby/ticketing area are too busy)

-Eduardo

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf
    Grow up and stop whining.

Funny...that's what my hubbie keeps telling me. Go figure!

Cathy L.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Eduardo,

Good point. Thanks.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Rights are rights are rights.

Free speech for some is not free speech.

If such tables are allowed in the airport, the Witnesses have as much right as anyone else to put one there.

If we feel that Witness beliefs are harmful, as most of us do, then we should make that information available, which we are doing via places such as this forum.

Eduardo, thank you for your clear thinking and courage to speak out against the popular opinion here.

SNG

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

-Eduardo

Jeanniebeanz is perfectly capable of discerning a simple point being made and understanding when satire is being utilized.

She is also capable of discerning when a person like this is being overbearing and snide and full of himself.

As am I.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi Puternut! How are things in Hawaii?

Have the girls been over to see you, or are you communicating regularly by letter or by phone or email? How was your daughter's wedding?

I'm really glad that time has completely healed that initial "shotgun to the face" despair you felt when you first realized that the organization you had served faithfully and zealously for so many years did not have or teach the truth, and was in fact a cult that you're basically not permitted to leave with any grace, or without great risk to ties with family and friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit