JW table at small airport

by Bryan 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bryan
    Bryan

As I was returning home yesterday, I noticed an elderly lady sitting at a card table next to the security line. Immidiately, her "My Book Of Bible Stories" jumped out at me. Her table was covered with printed propaganda. This is a very small airport with a wopping 3 gates. She was just sitting there quite lonely, counting her time as people passed by. I started to take a picture, then decided not to waste my time.

This morning I wrote an email to the administation office of the airport, telling them how surprised I was, and sent them links to news articles about Witness children not receiving blood because of the Organization's doctorines.

Looking forward to a response.

Bryan

Have You Seen My mother

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Interesting... I wonder if I should do the same thing. The huge table that the witnesses have at the Newpark Mall, here in Newark Ca really irritates me. Whenever I see someone talking to them I have a vision of a dolphin caught in a gill-net. It'll be drowned or clubbed to death and thrown back into the sea...

J

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I've seen plenty of JW tables at various airports in my travels. I don't ever come close to them, or try to strike up a conversation with any of my 'brother/sisters' there.

Funny enough, my husband never does approach them either, and he's the one all into the WTBTS stuff.

DY

• TheListener
    TheListener

DY,

I find it interesting that your husband doesn't approach the dubs to give them encouragement. What's funny is I didn't approach them to say hi or anything either when I was fully in. Since reading your post I've tried to figure out why. The best I can come up with is because I didn't feel like being trapped in a conversation with people I didn't really know. Yeah I know - kind of sad for a loving brotherhood.

Now I wonder how many other dubs were in places with me who also didn't feel like approaching the "table of truth".

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have been to many airports where there is a literature table (sound like a huge traveller) one in San Antonio, New Orleans and in San Francisco. I was actually shocked they have permission to do this.

purps

ps. I was also in the Airport Congregation in SanAntonio and the airport was in thier territory (doh)

Your standing in the hall had to be exemplory to witness there. You could not be on reproof of any kind.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

What I find shocking is that so many of you seem to be against the ideas of "freedom of religion", "freedom of speech" and especially the concept of the "Marketplace of Ideas"

If you don't like someone in the marketplace, then set up your table or ask for equal time.

Just exactly what do you think FREEDOM is all about? It certainly isn't about ONLY ALLOWING speech and ideas and beliefs and teachings that YOU approve of or that YOU find correct.

Grow up and stop whining.

-Eduardo

• willyloman
    willyloman

Eduardo: I used to feel that way, too, but let me ask you this: If it was the KKK or NAMBLA at that table, would you still feel the same way? See, free speech is fine unless it offends the sensibilities of others; that's why art deemed to obscene cannot go on public display... there are STANDARDS, after all.

You view JWs as an innocuous little religion, doing no harm. People here HAVE been harmed, big time, and they may feel differently

• Sassy
    Sassy

they set up a table at the mall by me too.. god it gives me flashback anxiety just seeing them

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Eduardo,

You contradict yourself. First you tell us that you believe in free speech, then you tell us that we should not express our ideas.

Which is it, pal?

J

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I actually approached the one here at the San Antonio, TX airport a while ago. When I first looked - there were two little ol' ladies. I dropped my bags, and opened up my briefcase - and stood back up - and there was a fella who had replaced them.

Rats! Well... I approached him - and tried to hand him the two page printout from the representative of the U.N. - about the WTBTS's association with the UN.

He looked down his nose at me and said, "No thanks."

It sure is funny to watch _them_ refuse literature... but they would sure try to get folks to read theirs.

I just shook my head - and laughed at him, as I went my way.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit