Do you find any value in attending the occaisonal meeting?

by 24k 37 Replies latest jw friends

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Excellent post 24k! My feelings exactly the few times I attended to please my mother in recent years. The only benefit I got was the very clear reminder of all the good reasons I wasn't going.

~Merry

• Golf
    Golf

24K, it doesn't even enter my mind.

Golf

• Dawn
    Dawn

Sure - if I start to take my life now for granted and forget how good everything is - I can always pop into a Sunday meeting for a jolt of reality that shoots me right back up and reminds me that THANK GOD I'M FREE!!! Of course, I haven't gotten that bad yet - but it might happen some day.

Oh yea - and if I ever develop some kind of self abuse mental disorder, I guess it's good that the hall is so close

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would go on occassion to support my JW spouse. For sanity's sake, I suggest you attend only intermittently. I don't expect to get anything out of the visit. I bring lots of toys (notebook, highlighters, palm pilot). Why not ask for the talk topics ahead of time and only attend those you might find some interest in (or those you need to build an adequate defence against)?

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

If you had cancer and you got rid of it, why would you ever voluntarily want it back? The meetings are like a disease and going back after getting rid of it's deadly and hateful attitudes and teachings makes no sense at all.

• JAVA
    JAVA

24K -- How long as your spouse been a JW? Did you come from a JW background? Is your spouse aware that there is a wealth of information about the Society that's on the Web? Have you shared any of that with her?

• talesin
    talesin

I'm wondering, How you have these discussions during the meeting, using a 'pagan' bible, etc. and are not disfellowshipped for 'apostacy'?

talesin

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I remember going to meetings while I was still a faithful dub and my wife was an infrequent attender. On the one hand, I wanted her to be "stronger", and on the other hand the meetings were so punishing to attend with her because she kept whispering in my ear, "That's not true! Did you hear what the speaker just said? That's crap!" It got to the point where the speaker would touch on something that I knew was one of her hotbuttons and I would just look over at her and whisper, "I know, I know.."

She especially hated it when anyone would suggest that Jehovah took care of somebody -- bag of groceries when they were out of money, helped them get out in service even though they were handicapped or dead or whatever -- since she knew right good and well that God did no such thing. I tried to defend the organization to her, but to no avail. She has finally fallen into all out apostasy.

Thank goodness!

• upside/down
    upside/down

All I see are a bunch pigs with nose rings (piercings?) and a pack of dogs eating their own puke...

Gag a maggot! NO

u/d

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Not only no, but HELL no.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit