Is Your Lifestyle So Much Different Since You Left The Organization?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you see a difference in the way you live now that your out of the "truth"? More materialistic? More "worldly"? Happier person??

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Yes...I actually have one...

J

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Yikes...

Mine is much different......

More free thinking.....Tattoos, piercings, college, politics, patriotism, alcohol, firearms, open intimacy/marriage, certainly much happier, maybe a little more materialistic but not excessive, holidays....pretty much anything I was NOT supposed to do as a dub.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Guilt free, Min'. That's the only real difference. I do stuff I wasn't allowed to do as a JW, but that's all fluff. The fact that I do what I decide to do and don't have to wonder how some spirit being feels about it (not to mention all the un-spirit beings at the Hall) is absolutely wonderful.

Happier, definitely happier.

Dave

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well - and btw Minimus -another excellent question - we are still fairly new at this 'having a life' thing. Now, other than on this board I have few friends, so that has changed [but if you consider the conditional nature of friendship inside, I guess I never did, huh?]

I now feel free to take a political view when it comes up in conversation. I feel no guilt when I decide to allow the scriptures to tell me what to do - without the wt ref's. I am considering the need to actually retire now - and I know that I will not inherit that nice millionaire's house on the hill that I had 'dibs' on - so if I want to enjoy anything materially I best find a way without getting Armageddon spoil...

Jeff

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Guilt-free. Tx dave. That's a good one. It took me many years to get there.

Ok, today I:

Live in sin and have for 6 years
    Don't wear dresses, I only own 1
    Swear, but my dad taught me that
    Watch, listen to, and read whatever I want
    Do not believe Jehovah is God
    Will enter any structure for any reason
    Have taken part in "pagan" ceremonies celebrations and holidays
    Don't give a rat's arse what anything thinks about it except me
    Live a happy life, and am very happy
    Love worldy people more than JW's
    Sex is no one's business except mine and my partner's
    I wear my hair however I want to, from butch to long, in any colour I wish
    I have worn mini-skirts and bikinis. And open vests with only a black lace bra underneath... not very JW eh? Good!

Good topic, Min

• upside/down
    upside/down

The "knot" between my shoulders that had mysteriously been there for about 20 years IS GONE!

I can actually "relax". Giving my "fight or flight" reflex a rest.

I don't "worry" about hardly anything- cuz I got nothin to lose anymore.

u/d

• Golf
    Golf

I'm no longer EXISTING but LIVING! I get to smell the coffee! And, I get to drink it too.

Golf

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

We feel truly HAPPY! We were always telling ourselves we were happy, but we felt awful constantly. After we made our decision to leave, there was a spring in our step and actual joy in our hearts. Even my JW SIL commented on how happy her brother (my husband) looks now! Gives her alot to think about.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Materialistic? I don't know, coming from the pioneering mother who raised me a trashy trailer to remain humble and stay focused on the "spritual goals", not sure if us buying a new home and buying new furniture and enjoying our lifestyle would be considered materialistic, I think it actually might just be NORMAL.

Working a 9-5 job instead of scraping by cleaning houses, hanging wallpaper, part time jobs, etc.

More stability, more normalicy, definitely more happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit