1ST Century Christian Congregation

by defd 56 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down
    That was not a judgement rather what Jesus said.." You can tell a tree by the fruit it bares".

Holy cow! Amen brother-- NOW YOU'RE TALKING!!!

That's part of my credo... WTS "fruit" is rotten1

u/d

• defd
    defd

doogie

no i do not i was simply conveying too you how you missed applied another scripture by Qouting jesus words about judging when i made a statement about certain things not being encouraging!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    i dont call bashing people cursing at people and out right hatred encouraging.

Hi there, defd. Hey, you'll get a lot further with people if you are not so afraid to engage in an animated debate. No one has bashed you, but you take their requests for proofs personally and make statements like the above in hopes they'll back off. It hurts your credibility, buddy.

Just being helpful. :)

J

• doogie
    doogie
    no i do not i was simply conveying too you how you missed applied another scripture by Qouting jesus words about judging when i made a statement about certain things not being encouraging!

i would venture to say that you JUDGED our association on this forum as not encouraging.

if that wasn't your intent, then pehaps you can see why it was contrued as such.

my point in this whole thread was just that there is no biblical definition of what constitutes a congregation. you apparently agree because up until now you have shown no such definition of acceptable fellowship from the bible.

sorry man, i don't mean to come across as hostile.

• defd
    defd

jeanna

i try to speak like the others in here but i keep getting taped on the shoulder saying no,no!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I find it interesting how defd complains about doogie reading Matthew 18:20 "out of context" and yet has no qualms with reading Hebrews 10:24-25 out of context:

http://www.theexaminer.org/volume5/number1/passage.htm

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Mark 9:38ff:

John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us." But Jesus said, "Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward.

Now I must say that I find the question "what would I have done?" pretty silly: what would "I" be with a different language, background, culture, environment...? If I knew I wouldn't be "me".

I am quite sure many kinds of people could find some place in the incredibly diverse, contradictory and confuse set of trends, beliefs and groups which is too easily called "the 1st-century congregation" or "the early church". And still many others couldn't. As a 20th-21st European with a definite history I do find some early Christian teachings appealing, others not. That's really all I can say.

• Quotes
    Quotes

I agree with iz2cool, the "do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together" scripture obviously applies to getting toether with your like-minded friends for company and fellowship. I realized this last Sunday, when I meet up with Beans at a coffee shop and we spent a wonderful 90 minutes together.

Of course, defd may think I'm being facetious, but this is entirely consistent with 1st century christians.

BTW, defd, I'm wondering: Are you counting the time you spend here for your month end report? And is there a way to specify that this witnessesing time was spent on line and not out door knocking? Don't hate me, I'm just asking! ;)

~Quotes, of the "enjoy my Watchtower-only quotes website" class
    http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

You guys might find the book "The History of the Christian Church" interesting. It was written by Eusebius who is regarded as the first Church Historian. He recorded the history of the Church of the first three centuries. You can get a copy of it at amazon.com

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I realized this last Sunday, when I meet up with Beans at a coffee shop and we spent a wonderful 90 minutes together.

Coffee shops are ok if you want to disrupt JW field service? breaks on Saturday mornings. But in order to fully receive the benefit of Holy Spirits you need to go to a bar.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit