1ST Century Christian Congregation

by defd 56 Replies latest jw friends

• defd
    defd

What would you have done back in the 1ST Century when Jesus came on the earthly stage and started Christianity. Would you have became his follower? How about After he left the earth and Christianity began to spread by means of the Apostles, would you have been involved in the many Congregations that were started throughout the area? How about the Congregation started by Paul in Corinth? If you answer yes to this, ask yourself as a Disciple of Jesus how would I have handled all the PROBLEMS that existed in that particular Congregation? The Bible speaks of MANY problems that existed within that Congregation. It had people problems. They were not acting as Christians. They would shun, discriminate, form clicks, allow blatent wrongdoers room freely within disrupting the peace and unity. People were backbiting, fornicating, teaching wrong doctrine and the list goes on and on. That is not the only Congregation that had people problems. Pauls letter to the Ephesians, Philippians, Hebrews and so on ALL had to be addressed for problems. What would you have done? Would you have left the Corinthian Cong. to go to the Cong. in Ephesis? They too had severe problems unique to the area they lived in? What would you have done?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I would have recognized that my personal relationship with god was precisely that - Personal. That means it is not subject to policing or scrutiny by any mere man, congregation, or organization. I do not require a congregation to associate with.

Walter

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

There's no record of a judicial committee in the 1st century.

Why do you think that is?

Dave

• jaredg
    jaredg

wow this is a pretty big hypothetical question but i will entertain it. first off i want to reiterate that the letters to the first century congreagation found in the bible canon are just a snipit of the "inspired" letters going around at the time and they only give us a glimpse as to what was actually going on at that time. now if i happend to be born in that area at that time i would find the teachings of jesus very refreshing. jesus spoke about love and compassion and rebuked those like the pharisees who were controlling and abused their power. i would have welcomed a change from that burdensome religion. if i were in the congregation and saw the things being argued over i would have taken sides with those who supported free thought, a personal relationship with god and living a life in the footsteps of christ. i would have opposed those that tried to make their own rules by twisting scripture.

• defd
    defd

iiz

what you fail to realize that being APART of the Congregation was a requirement by God as part of our worship to him.

That is how he directed taught and directed His people then and now. If your not there how would you get the direction? Paul said it best at Hebrews 10:24-25 ..........NOT FORSAKING the gathering of ourselves as SOME have the CUSTOM to do............................ Belonging to the Christian Congregation is an important part in our relationship with God and Jesus. After all Jesus is HEAD of the Congregation is he not? He is the Shepard of the flock is he not? If so, if your not in his PEN how can you be sheparded? Just a thought

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I dont agree with you d'fd, but now your talking, this is all we wanted from you. Just a good civilzed conversation.

Youre doning great now.

Thanks

• doogie
    doogie
    NOT FORSAKING the gathering of ourselves as SOME have the CUSTOM to do............................ Belonging to the Christian Congregation is an important part in our relationship with God and Jesus. After all Jesus is HEAD of the Congregation is he not? He is the Shepard of the flock is he not? If so, if your not in his PEN how can you be sheparded? Just a thought

how many people constitute a "Christian Congregation"? the 1st century congregations met in peoples homes and sometimes consisted of only a handful of people. plus, i remember something about Jesus saying that 'where 2 of you are gathered in my name...'

just a thought.

• defd
    defd

jare

so your saying you would stay and serve Jehovah the way Jesus desribed and how the apostles designed and not woory about the rest of those people not doing right? I agree with that. IT IS NO DIFFERENT TODAY! The congregations that make up God Organization have the same kind of people in it.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Why the obsession with "belonging" to a congo? It served a purpose then, not now. You make a great point- with all the sh*t going on in the congo (ancient & modern) WHY belong? Why are people who are under the yoke of religion so insistant that everyone else be under that same yoke? I think it's jealousy, you can't stand the thought of people being "free", while you're a slave! I was a slave for 20 years and all I got was a pair of concret shoes and and a heave ho overboard... ungrateful SOB's...

We have the complete Bible now and "christianity" is well known and accepted for the most part worldwide. If you can show me how my being under the domination of a "religion" is beneficial, I'll listen. Show me the benefits...

God has no more use for organized religion today than He did in ancient times. It was PEOPLE that insisted on having kings and institutions to "guide" them. Not "God". "God" merely acquiesced, and MEN were more than happy to capitalize and run with it. Let's face it, men do what THEY want- even in religions.

u/d (of the "religion" tires me out class)

• defd
    defd

I am insistant on belonging to the Congregation because that is HOW God set it up! Was it not Jesus who commanded his disciples to make disciples of people of every nation? Did he not commision Paul to go and do the same? Holy spirit is what motivated and accomplished and established the growth and the many Congregations. Those Congregations were formed for a reason. That reason was and is today to ATTEND,BE TAUGHT,WORSHIP GOD and so on. Dont you want to be apart of something that Jesus directed and is the Head of by means of the Holy Spirit? I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit