My wife is getting baptized on the 19th!

by Check_Your_Premises 111 Replies latest jw experiences

Mixed marriages with JWs rarely work.

There are a few of us out there. And we are on this board. I still vote for not freaking out on her. Time enough for that later -- jgnat

jgnat,

The key word is "few." Few work, so the odds are significant that CYP is going to be in need of assistance from a family law attorney. The sooner he at least consults with one, the better off he will be. In the very likely event that divorce becomes a reality for him, having consulted with an attorney earlier rather than later will help him be prepared for the worst. In the event of a divorce, the Watchtower will likely support his wife and put him at a legal disadvantage, so it's best to get the upper hand early. I'm not in any way recommending divorce; rather, I'm trying to communicate to CYP that divorce is an extremely likely reality, notwithstanding a few cases where mixed marriages work, so he should be seeking advice on how to deal with what is a strong potential of a divorce situation.

I second that, jgnat. Although it's not easy - a successful marriage to a JW is very possible - I think it depends solely upon the people involved and how they handle the situation. CYP is the best judge of his wife and their situation - and while he should keep a watchful eye, I don't think he needs to run for the hills just yet. -- Rebellious Spirit

RebelliousSpirit,

While a successful marriage by a normal person to a Jehovah's Witness is indeed "possible," it's certainly not probable. I agree that CYP shouldn't "run to the hills just yet," but I do think he should run to an attorney's office immediately to plan and prepare for dealing with what is an extremely significant threat to his marriage, as well as to the psychological well being of his children, which his wife is selfishly overlooking. Burying his head in the sand and underestimating the threat he's facing does not seem wise, given the very real and extremely significant threat the Watchtower is presently posing to his marriage and family. Better prepared than sorry later.

CYP,

Besides consulting with an attorney, I recommend that you obtain a copy of "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Health" (1992) by Dr. Jerry Bergman. Like myself and many others here, Dr. Bergman was born and raised a Jehovah's Witness. He has conducted extensive, very objective research that supports the conclusions that mental illness in the Jehovah's Witnesses is substantially higher than the normal population of non-Jehovah's Witnesses. Children in Jehovah's Witness households experience an extremely unhealthy psychological environment. To illustrate that point, let me tell you about my own peer group in the congregation I attended. 2 went to prison for unrelated felony drug trafficking convictions, 1 went to prison for armed robbery of a Carl's Jr., one has been married and divorced many times and has kids with several different women. One I knew seems to be well adjusted to life, but he was not born and raised in the cult; rather, he converted at about age 17. As I'm sure many on this board will agree, it is a certainty that your children will suffer at least some psychological damage if they are exposed to this abusive cult.

To that end, it might also be wise to seek the assistance of a counselor, preferably a marriage and family counselor who has had at least some experience in dealing with situations of this nature. You'd be surprised at how many of these cases are out there, and you'd be frightened to know of the psychological damage that this cult has inflicted upon hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people (particularly children).

Do not underestimate the threat this cult poses to your family. It would probably be a lot easier to deal with a situation such as marital infidelity than it will be to deal with this one. I feel very sorry that you are in the position you are in and I hope for the best for you and your family, including your wife. If I was in your shoes, the Witnesses would need police protection to be anywhere near my wife. Good luck to you and your family!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Ok, now you all have me really paranoid. How do I know that the organization isn't monitoring this site?! How do I know they haven't taken my previously displayed personal information and used it to try to find out who this "opposer" is trying to keep his wife from getting baptized?

• kls
    kls

Yes it is true there are marriages that are successful, being married to a jw but there are also different meanings to ( successful). Just because they are not divorced does not mean success.

Successful in the way that ,they are together but miserable as you see your loved one controled and no matter how much you show you love them ,you lose.

Boy am i depressing and i don't mean to be but this is what i see in my own life.

• Jez
    Jez
    Ok, now you all have me really paranoid. How do I know that the organization isn't monitoring this site?! How do I know they haven't taken my previously displayed personal information and used it to try to find out who this "opposer" is trying to keep his wife from getting baptized?

Have you seen where ppl here post from? All over the world. The logistics of finding YOU are practically impossible. Why would they even care? They have their men at a congregation level perfecting the art of manipulation directly to her, why would they waste time "looking" for you. There must be thousands of situations like you, You are being waaay too paranoid.

Getting baptised as one of JW is like swallowing a candy coated pill, but after the sweet candy coating melts away, you are left sucking on a piece of highly addictive, unmeltable poison that slowly kills your soul, brain cells and heart.

Jez

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Well I did basically outline my short term strategy, and out myself as an opposer. I figure if they did monitor this site, they could call the congregations from where I identified myself, and give them a heads up that a young opposer is planning on delaying his wife's baptism and he is going to give you a line of bs.

yeah paranoid, but I did remove my data.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    I am willing to go to ALL the meetings until I "make up my mind

If you do this, watch out for the love bombing. They will do everything to make your see through rose coloured glasses that they are the only true religion. Don't let them suck you in.

You have a lot to think about. Your in our thoughts.

CJ is right - I can attest to that as I have gone to every meeting with my JW husband for the last 10+ months. It's easy to get sucked in by the attention you'll get - I almost did. So just be cautious and mindful ... you'll be fine.

On a sidenote ... We haven't been to a meeting in a month except bookstudy (too much going on lately), but finally went last night. Hubby wanted to do the "duck and dodge" after the meeting, so we managed to only get snagged by 2 people on our way out (1 elder, 1 not) - neither of which knew my husband was in the hospital last weekend even though the PO knew. So apparently no one asked, and they didn't announce it and ask for prayers - interesting eh?

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    I really believe that a loving husband actually can stand up to the pressure and win out. You are going to have to do more in the romantic department as well. You are going to shower her with compliments, love, go for walks at night after dinner. Spend time alone together, get a babysitter and make sure you continue to solidify the BOND you two share as a couple.

Don't allow the WTS into your marriage and undermine the love you have for each other. Don't allow this to be the topic ALL the time so that you are dealing with a lot of conflinct and not having enough time to be husband and wife. Lots of kisses, lots of sex, lots of intimacy. Cement this relationship as being permanent.

If you allow them to start a rift between you two, they stand a chance. The more you are the model loving husband, the more she will love you and not allow them to come between you two.

I know I love my husband dearly, and would fight for our marriage.

JTP is right on. AND ... I had a field day at meeting last night sexually "harrassing" my husband the entire 2 hours. I don't think he knew whether to clamp his hand over my mouth, or rush me home mid-meeting to take advantage of me.

Turns out he loved it ... and he said he'd be happy to be on the receiving end of more at the next meeting.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    While a successful marriage by a normal person to a Jehovah's Witness is indeed "possible," it's certainly not probable. I agree that CYP shouldn't "run to the hills just yet," but I do think he should run to an attorney's office immediately to plan and prepare for dealing with what is an extremely significant threat to his marriage, as well as to the psychological well being of his children, which his wife is selfishly overlooking. Burying his head in the sand and underestimating the threat he's facing does not seem wise, given the very real and extremely significant threat the Watchtower is presently posing to his marriage and family. Better prepared than sorry later.

Having worked for an attorney for 3 years, I appreciate your advanced planning methods. However, it's not something I've found necessary in my case. My husband has made his loyalty to his family over the organization very clear - and I don't doubt him even for a minute. But then again my husband was also DA'd for 8 years - so he knows both sides of the coin. He'd go there again if they cross the line with him, or with his wife and children.

I'm really hoping for the best for CYP. It is tough.

Having worked for an attorney for 3 years, I appreciate your advanced planning methods. However, it's not something I've found necessary in my case. My husband has made his loyalty to his family over the organization very clear - and I don't doubt him even for a minute. But then again my husband was also DA'd for 8 years - so he knows both sides of the coin. He'd go there again if they cross the line with him, or with his wife and children.

I'm really hoping for the best for CYP. It is tough. -- RebelliousSpirit

Among the reasons you've been able to make your situation work, is the fact that you have been attending meetings with your husband, which, based on your other posts in this thread, was at least every meeting for the last 10 + months. Clearly, this would be a significant compromise for most non-believers, being forced to sit through hours of mindless drivel. Personally, I'd rather be castrated without anesthesia than have to sit there, time after time, watching the hogwash pouring from the platform like effluent from a broken sewer pipe.

If I was in CYP's shoes, my wife would know, with absolute certainty, that becoming a Jehovah's Witness would positively result in a bloody divorce. Those JWs who were able to convert my wife would not be safe. I would make their life pure hell. Every Witness involved would get sued, and I wouldn't hesitate to use physical force as well, despite the legal consequences.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    If I was in CYP's shoes, my wife would know, with absolute certainty, that becoming a Jehovah's Witness would positively result in a bloody divorce.

CYP, if you saw a guy coming at you with a gun and a riot shield, wouldn't you prepare to defend yourself? You wouldn't be at all interested in what his beef with you was, you'd drop into survival mode and get ready to battle.

Please don't present yourself that way to your wife. Lining up an attorney, drawing lines in the sand, threats (even if they are real) aren't going to get you where you want to go.

Maybe you'll eventually end up in divorce. Maybe you won't. That's true of any marriage, yours, mine, anybody's. But knowing it "might" happen doesn't cause me to start barricading myself behind legal defense shields. If it happens, then I'll do what I have to do. Your wife would take it as a serious indication that YOU want a divorce if you start making such plans. Once a seed like that gets planted in her head and heart, good luck keeping it from sprouting.

You're in for trouble, no way around that. I just don't want you to start creating self-fulfilling prophecies for yourself and your family.

Try to get her to delay and think if you can, but don't come off like an 'opposer', since that would be all the proof she needs that she's on the right track. 'Persecution from within my own family, just as Jesus himself predicted,' she'd think. Don't give her that reassurance. Instead reassure her of YOUR love for her regardless of her faith.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit