My wife is getting baptized on the 19th!

by Check_Your_Premises 111 Replies latest jw experiences

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

My wife is getting baptized on the 19th.

I wrote her a letter today. Basically I asked her why she isn't coming to me to find out my concerns. I am the person who has the most invested in her. If I were doing something that she was uncomfortable with, I would be trying to make it ok with her.

She said she wants to talk to me, but she doesn't want to push me. Which means she wants to make me read some stupid garbage that I have already read before, and don't agree with. What I mean is I want to talk to her about the problems with her organization.

I also asked her why my concern doesn't give her pause, why doesn't it make her give her beliefs a second guess. She said on any other thing it would, "this is just different". I asked her why, and got no reply.

So I said, "So that means to me that 14 strangers in Brooklyn have more credibility with you than I do." She hit me with the ol' "We only believe what the Bible says" line. I asked her if they only beleive what the Bible says, why do they all change their mind when the GB does. The Bible didn't change! Only the GB's interpretation. She said she wasn't in the Truth when that happened so she couldn't say.

We then resolved that we would "push" each other with anything we felt appropriate. I told her that is all I wanted. A free and open exchange of ideas without throwing labels like "apostate" around. Facts and logic.

She said she doesn't think it will ever cause any problems in the family. I asked her what happens if the children join and then leave. Are you going to shun them? She said that it doesn't work like that. She wouldn't have to not talk to them. She said that isn't how disfellowshipping works. Everything I have heard says that is EXACTLY how it works.

I took a risk. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. We will see if she runs away. I do believe that nothing will stop her baptism. That would be like canelling the wedding after the invitations have been sent. I only hope that I will ring the bell enough so she can leave when she is ready.

A short question: So what is the deal with that whole UN thing, what is the JW explanation, and why does it matter?

• doogie
    doogie
    I asked her what happens if the children join and then leave. Are you going to shun them? She said that it doesn't work like that. She wouldn't have to not talk to them. She said that isn't how disfellowshipping works. Everything I have heard says that is EXACTLY how it works.

my parents haven't spoken to me in over 3 years despite continued attempts by me. and i wasn't even disfellowshipped. i found out my little brother was getting married 2 weeks into the honeymoon. you're right, that is EXACTLY how it works. i'd be interested to see the article she read that says otherwise.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

I'm sorry about your situation.

She said she doesn't think it will ever cause any problems in the family. I asked her what happens if the children join and then leave. Are you going to shun them? She said that it doesn't work like that. She wouldn't have to not talk to them. She said that isn't how disfellowshipping works. Everything I have heard says that is EXACTLY how it works.

This is where she is blindly lead to believe. I was brought up in the organization choose to leave after I saw the light for what the organization was about at the age of 35. Because my parents and my brother and his family are still JW's I do not see my parents anymore. My brother who is an elder and lives in the U.S comes to visit my parents here in Canada, never looks me up. I have been gone for 10 years, both my niece and nephew have married, I was never invited to their weddings.

If ya don't call that shunning, what would you call it. To my knowledge I was never dfd or da'd.

c

• defd
  • defd
    defd

calamity

if you were never DF or DA what are you then. Were you ever Baptised?

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Could you repeat that defd, I didn't hear you the first time.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

defd, Yes baptized when I was 15.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Wow, I feel for you. Tough spot.

The UN thing is basically this: The Watchtower calls the United Nations part of Satan's world, the scarlet-colored wild beast of Revelation. (Or is it the image of the beast? I don't have my "Revelation Climax" book handy, but it's one or the other.) Despite their negative view of it, they joined it as an NGO (non-governmental organization) as part of the DPI (Department of Public Information). To be such a member, they had to sign a document agreeing to promote the views and goals of the UN, which they clearly do not uphold or promote. That alone would be hypocrisy. But to make matters worse, they have told their members in the Watchtower that they should not join the YMCA (young men's christian association) because it is tainted by Satan's religious organization.

They claim they only joined the DPI to get access to the UN library. That is probably true.

They said JW's can't join the YMCA just to get access to the pool.

So why can't I join the Y to use the pool, but they can join the UN to use the library?

There's documentation to support all of this, it's probably already posted in this thread by now. (I'm so slow...)

Dave

• Bryan
    Bryan

My father and step-mother have not spoken to me in almost ten years, my daughter has not in one year. I'm not df'ed nor DA'ed. I just don't believe what they believe anymore. You need to show your wife some of the literature which talks about how to treat others who leave, one way or another.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Bryan
    Bryan

I think the link at this link makes a very good point concerning the UN and WTBTS.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/84029/1.ashx

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit