Guarding the platform at assemblies and conventions

by bronzefist 49 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I once was in 'security' at assemblies. They always told us not to tackle any who showed violence. Not even to knock the gun out of his hands - just surround him and force him out of the area.

I never got that - someone with a gun or bomb, and we were supposed to 'passively restrain' him.

I knew that if I ever saw a gun I would tackle the guy. I know that those bullets are real!

Jeff

Given the traumatic effect of the Watchtower cult on so many, I'm surprised stage crashing isn't more common.

AK - Jeff: The reason you were told to employ passive restraint is most likely because the Watchtower's legal department determined that affording security more aggressive options would likely lead to litigation against them and the resulting costs thereof. Your life was not worth as much to them as the cost of a lawsuit.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Jeff, did you get one of those cool shirts that said Staff or Security on the back? Did you wear sunglasses and have one of those slick earpieces like the secret service guys have? Did the groupies attempt to bribe you with favors to get backstage?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    The reason you were told to employ passive restraint is most likely because the Watchtower's legal department determined that affording security more aggressive options would likely lead to litigation against them and the resulting costs thereof. Your life was not worth as much to them as the cost of a lawsuit.

144001 - I think you are right on spot here.

Jeff, did you get one of those cool shirts that said Staff or Security on the back? Did you wear sunglasses and have one of those slick earpieces like the secret service guys have? Did the groupies attempt to bribe you with favors to get backstage?

BigDog - Nope! No perks at all. Just 30 years a watchtower slave! Jeff

• willyloman
    willyloman
    BigDog - Nope! No perks at all. Just 30 years a watchtower slave!

Dude! You're forgetting the little orange dot on your name badge. Tell me that's not a perk!

• wednesday
    wednesday

During the early 90's I found out from a reliable source that there was a bomb scare at the Ft. Worth convention cntr.

I haven't been to an assembly or convention in some time but the stage at the conventions had attendants near by.

weds

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Dude! You're forgetting the little orange dot on your name badge. Tell me that's not a perk!

If there was an orange dot I forgot. But right on!

Jeff

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Given the traumatic effect of the Watchtower cult on so many, I'm surprised stage crashing isn't more common.

I totally agree with that one! I've thought it for years.

It must be tough to try and keep nonJWs out of the auditorium, and try and keep the JWs IN! (no-no going to lunch outside)

Annie.......who hated sitting in the same hard seat at lunchtime, trying to balance food and drink with five kids.......

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Even some of the diciples packed a blade. Given the state of ex-JW's as pointed out here you guys should have had body armor and uzi's. Trust in God, but pack a rod I always say.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yes the "secret" dot, though for some reason i thought it was blue. Maybe differing levels of the "secret service"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit