Staying awake during the Watchtower study

by drahcir yarrum 45 Replies latest jw friends

• thewiz
    thewiz

Truth be told. And I know many are going to hate this one. I always found them to be very interesting. Fell asleep when I was a kid, but not as an adult.

Heck, if I can read a boring techinical book and find it extremely interesting, then I can do anything, but then I can only do that at an hour at a time.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Good one Slayer, I wish I coulda seen that. LOL I always did the old standby and black out a tooth or two, add a couple of horns and vampire's teeth dripping blood. Then my mom would smack me (I was 17) and chew me out. Her little scene of fury caused more disturbance than my drawings.

Wonder what otehr type of movies we could watch while "taping" the convention?

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

I haven't been to a WT study in years and years, but I've been laughing my ass off reading all these anecdotes. And to think I wasn't squirming in my seat alone! One of the maddening policies of the org. is to force everyone to be a public speaker, regardless of whether he has talent or even the desire to stand on the podium. I saw so many poor brothers trying to deliver talks with shaking hands and sweat streaming from their foreheads. It was downright painful to behold. And soooo boring for the rest of us. All the speakers who had irritating speech mannerisms like repeating the same words over and over. That was one way I entertained myself -- counting the number of times our CO said "possibly this" and "possibly that." Maybe one brother in ten could give a decent public address.
    BTW: I hated giving talks (I'm female by the way so was spared the humiliation of the podium) so much that I used to throw up my dinner in the bathroom.

• tdogg
    tdogg

Happy, right on. The public talk was far more torturous than the WT study. A whole hour of listening to some fool read a script with those fake, pre-rehearsed tones. The comical robotic gestures were hillarious.
    To cope I developed many techniques to sleep without detection. It was all about angles and the way you rested your head on your hand. Of course you had to move your head now and then so it would look like you were following along in your book, but with practice you wouldn't even have to wake up. Those two hours every sunday seemed like 2 days at the time.

• Tammie
    Tammie

Heck, I never tried to hid the fact that I was bord. Use to embaris my mom to no ends. But I would konk out right during the meeting. Some times I would get smacked on the back of my head. But I remeber this one time, after I was married and pregnant with my first child. My husband and I was sitting by my mom and sisters at a district convention (6 months pregnant). I would fall asleep during the convention. My mom would try to get my husband to wake me up. And being the good guy at the time would not wake me up. So my mom would try, and he told her to back off. He said, "Don't you dare wake her up, she is quiet, and she needs her rest."

• Teirce
    Teirce

For some reason, I was able to sleep with my eyes open and stay awake-looking before I was married. Once I was married, she was too smart for that, so, I just ended up nodding off and embarrassing the hell out of her.

In my Greatest Man book, on the illustration for the chapter of Jesus' Transfiguration, I had a little power cord going from the illuminated Jesus to a wall socket. That's one thing that you can miss, all the chances to make fun of things from the inside..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit