Hey Women! Faithful Slave Sez You're Dumb!

by metatron 42 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Waiting,

Thanks for the "frank" comments.

I am interested in this thread (gee, and I'm a guy). Bigotry of any kind just drives me nuts.

Tell me more.

The Eskimo (Inuit) of the north were discussed having larger brains. But did that article take back what the WTS said about women in 1967?

You know, because of the work of groups like NOW and others, women were allowed to work in the work force in the USA and Canada and other developed countries. This gave them money and power and allowed them to be "free" of the man (for the most part). The divorce rate shot up because of this power. Women could be independent and not have to be the second class citizen. A lot of people look at the high divorce rate as something bad. I of course look at this as something that shows women can excercise a free will and keep their independence. If a man doesn't treat his marriage as a partnership he is toast. Now if only the women of the WT could see what freedom and partnerships are all about (with men and with organizations) instead of the nice and easy approach of having someone tell them what to say and how to behave and dress it up as if it is from the word of God, then we might get some more changes.

hawk

Of course there is way more to be done.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Hawk,

The Eskimo (Inuit) of the north were discussed having larger brains. But did that article take back what the WTS said about women in 1967?

I thought about that after posting. The WTBTS never takes back anything. They re-adjust - and usually only if caught. They blaim the followers usually if caught as an excuse.

Watch the pedophile/blood issue - it'll come back on the locals - I'd bet on that. And it's not that the locals are dim/dumb etc., - it's because we were/are blinded - taught not to think independant of the WTBTS. "Oh, ok. I must have missed that. Glad I waited on Jehovah to correct my error." Almost all of us had similiar thoughts.

The WTBTS doesn't think highly enough of individual women's rights to do a correction. And who's going to say anything out loud? Sisters? Perhaps in a letter, where they can't get into trouble. But not at intimate congregation level. Will be considered "trouble-makers."

I would assume that you've learned how the WTBTS put the jw women/girls (no jw man/boy) under the Mosaic Law of how to respond during a rape? The following site is actually WTBTS quotes on their "Women must/don't have to Scream While Being Raped."

... http://www.intrex.net/tallyman/WTRape.html

Basically - a girl/woman had to scream during a rape (even to the point of death) to protect her virtue before God. A man (under Mosaic & WTBTS Law) could bend over or open his mouth and retain his virtue. No questions would be asked of him. He also did not have to report it to the elders (to the best of my knowledge.) Only women.

The WTBTS flip/flopped on this one way more than a dozen times over the years. The current teaching is that a woman doesn't have to scream. But as of 5 years ago - I knew a young woman in college who was date raped (offered her a ride home from the college library) and she was df'd because she didn't scream. Of course, it was in his car - and no one was around to help anyway - but the point was that she didn't defend her virtue in front of God.

Btw, when the WTBTS flips their teachings, those who've been df'd for doing what's ok now are definitely not re-instated or apologized to. It's back to the old "at the time, they thought it was wrong, so they sinned against their conscience at that time."

These are the kinds of things I never thought about when I was a jw. We just kinda said "Oh, ok."

Enjoy talking to you, Hawk.

waiting

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well thanks to metatron or his friend I read the entire article.

You didn't tell me about the "that time of the month" comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - WOW!!!!!! They got guts. My wife (non-JW like me) freaked when she read that comment!!!

Holy $H!T, I can't believe this article.

I will post it in full tomorrow.

Again thanks

hawk

• Andee
    Andee

In order for me to be insulted, I have to value the givers opinion.

Holding my head, abet, smaller brain, high!

Andee

• musky
    musky

In the watchtowers defense of this, the article quoted is from 1960's.
    the majority of peoples attitudes have really changed since then.Remember archie bunker? that show almost cannot be played anymore because of its racial insensitivity,not to mention how edith was treated! We have all come a long way since then.We need to stop digging up the past from the watchtower, and look at how there attitude is towards women now.Im sure it is very different. I was recently shown a copy from 1957 "better homes and gardens" I believe. I was actually a joke because it was a list of things every good wife needs to do for her husband, including: have nice dinner ready when he gets home/ make sure makeup is freshened up/ do more listening than talking/ dont question him when he is late due to entertainment/ have nice fire in fireplace ready when he gets home/ every good wife knows her role/ etc,etc. Were not all going to bash this magazine today for something it said many years ago.I know that some things that are critical to watchtowers teaching need to go way back in the past, but not this.Things like when they foretold an end to the world in 1914 for example are strong indicators of how they operate today.It just seems that everybody changes with the times. Remember at the kingdom hall children being carried off to the bathroom for severe wackings and spankings? This does not seem to be done anymore at all, less the children be taken by social services. Im not sure if this is making any sense to the reader , so I will just stop here.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

*musky*

quote "I was recently shown a copy from 1957 "better homes and gardens"...Were not all going to bash this magazine today for something it said many years ago.I know that some things that are critical to watchtowers teaching need to go way back in the past, but not this."

Since when did Better Homes and Gardens claim to be inspired by God? Since the WT claims to be the only true religion, shouldn't their teachings that are inspired by God remain consistant? Public opinion shouldn't sway the WT from their teachings, right?

closer

The less I seek my source for some definitive The closer I am to fine - Indigo Girls

• Andee
    Andee

Musky,

I never heard of BH&G instructing their readers to shun their family members that no longer subscribe.

Give me a break.

Andee

• musky
    musky

closer2fine,
    If you are saying that everything that has been published since the watchtower bagan has to be true, then they have been proved untrue many many times over. I always understood that the so called faithful and discreet slave feels they are imperfect , and therefore some things they print are also imperfect.But at the same time they require strict adherance to what they say, because they are inspired by God.I guess to sum up what im trying to say, If there is a true religeon, does everything it says and prints from its headquarters have to be rock solid true and 100% correct for it to be inspired by God? General attitudes in the public have had a lot of sway in the watchtower over the years.

• musky
    musky

andee, your comment makes no sense to me. What do you mean? Shunning seems to be a totally different subject from attitudes on women.

• Andee
    Andee

Musky,

I was responding to you comparing the Watchtower, and it's writings, which are suppose to be divinely inspired by God and not to be questioned, with a worldly magazine.

If I to speak out openly against the WT and it's "inspired" word, I would risk being DF'd by the Org and the shunning of family and friends.

I just found it odd that you would compare the two. Granted, the subject is attitude towards women, however, you, as well as I, know that inside the Org women are still considered subservient to men.

To me, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Also,

I always understood that the so called faithful and discreet slave feels they are imperfect , and therefore some things they print are also imperfect.

Musky, can you define "Perfect" for me? Until one can define it, one certainly cannot say they are "imperfect".

So, I will offer some alternatives that better describe the "faithful and discreet slave":

Incorrect

Inaccurate

Mistaken

Erroneous

Flawed

Amiss

Defective

And just plain Wrong.

However, I do agree with you on this:

General attitudes in the public have had a lot of sway in the watchtower over the years.

IMHO, if the rank and file began to leave in droves because they wanted to start celebrating Christmas and birthdays, the GB would be scrambling like crazy to shed "new light" on that subject.

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit