Ozzie's 125th Weekend Poll

by ozziepost 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

So how's things? Been really humid in New South these past few days with afternoon storms. Right now the refreshing rain is falling and Mrs Ozzie and I are enjoying a(nother) box of Ferrero Rocher chocs. Just the thing for a rainy afternoon.

Now what questions come to mind in dubdom this weekend?

It seems to me that with the grand coverup taking place over the change of the Awake! from fortnightly to monthly that there must be many dubs who are wondering i.e. having some nagging doubts; you know how it goes "is it really so?".

So, let's reminisce awhile. Get a cup of something good or a glass of shiraz! and ponder this week's poll. The question is..........................

What made you doubt the WTS?

1. Never did.

2. The generation thing

3. 1975

4. Doubts, doubts???? what doubts?

5. What the elders did

6. The "Revelation Climax" book

7. What the elders said

8. Something a householder said

9. The infernal internet!

10. Other (please detail)

So how was it for you??

Tell us all.

and don't forget.......enjoy!

Cheers, Ozzie

• missy04
    missy04

9. The infernal internet! LOL

Sarah

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

10. Other... Doubts about the Bible and religion as a whole. Once that was wash out for me, the WTB&TS didn't have a grain of sand to stand on.

But it was... 9. The Internet that made me seriously question their motives and methods!

~Merry

• jellybelly
    jellybelly

2.The generation thing
    7.what the elders said
    5.what the elders did

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

7. "What the Elders said" I guess.....

I was doing a Bible study with another young person and they asked me a specific question, sadly I don't even recall what the original question was after all these years. I began to research and couldn't find a scriptural answer that matched what I had been taught by the org so I asked one of the Elders.

I was basically told that it was a matter of faith and that I should just take the teaching of the org at face value since the GB was much better equipped to interpret the scriptures. They told me not to spend a great deal of time researching and trying to understand scripture as it would only confuse me.

That is really when I started to question things....

Why couldn't I find the answer in the Bible ? -- Why shouldn't I research my Bible ? -- What were they afraid of me finding ? -- If the org publications didn't match Scriptures why should I put my faith in the org over the Bible ? None of it made sense....

The more I read the more didn't match. I read other versions of the Bible and things were very different, why ? I started seeing actions by Elders and other "strong" witnesses that were contrary to what we had been told was proper conduct. How could they be getting away with it ? How could the jw's be "the truth" if they were doing the same things that the "worldly" churches were doing ? Why should I follow the rules if they didn't ?

Between the doubts and my getting older and rebelling against the mental stranglehold they had on people, young people especially, it was all down hill from there.

RGW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    it was all down hill from there

or uphill...or somethin' but whatever, it was progress, eh?

Good to see you sharing, rwagoner.

cheers, Ozzie

• bem
    bem

4. Doubts, doubts???? what doubts? ...about the ones that we should get help and council from being more hurtfull than the things we needed comfort for.among many other things.like the love amongst us.

5. What the elders did = one in particular Super elder he thought, went way south on a buisness deal and talked to me worse than anyone ever had.When I asked him about it.

7. What the elders said , Lots of hog wash

9. The infernal internet,,, taught me some things I needed to know.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

LOL point taken....

Downhill from their thinking but certainly the best decision I ever made, even though I miss my parents. I just wish, like so many others here, that I could get through to them somehow.

RGW

• onacruse
    onacruse

In chronological order: 3, 5, and the killer was 2.

I cut my eye-teeth on the absolute conviction, blessed by the holy water of the WTS, that the 1914 generation would last, at most, 80 years. I tolerated, and even accepted, the "creep" as they gradually moved that teaching from "must have been a teenager in 1914" to "must be able to comprehend what what happened to the world in 1914, when they were still alive" to "must have been born by 1914." At the same time I also accepted the shift (in the very early 70s) about the great tribulation having started in 1914, and then being suspended, to the new plan that "the great tribulation is in the future."

As a result, even though I had serious doubts since 1975, I wasted yet another 20 precious years of my life in the fruitless attempt to grasp that eschatological carrot on a stick.

Call me a slow learner.

Anyway, life is now great! Wife, dog, cat, yard, mortgage, cars that unexpectedly break down...all is at it should be!

I vote for keep the wife, and let the rest slide.

Hello to all you down-under!

Craigster

• prophecor
    prophecor

The infernal internet!

Surely the infernal internet there, Oz.

Looking for info on us J'Dubs, as we do, finding freeminds.org led me eventually to here, and the rest is history.

'Cept, mind you, the secret knowledge regarding the truth as to the WTBTS via the Franz publications, other than that, pretty much sums it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit