Ozzie's 125th Weekend Poll

by ozziepost 23 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Cheers, Ozzie! Mine is a glass of merlot. Reasons why I left:

1. Stand on child abuse (or lack thereof).

2. Hypocritical, unloving elders.

3. Stupid, vengeful elders.

4. Lack of love.

5. Pompous ass elders who pontificated from the platform about how much better the Witnesses were than anybody else on earth, while treating the publishers like dirt.

6. Asinine form letters from Brooklyn.

7. Ignoring my then-6-year-old whom I brought to the meeting in a wheelchair when he was sick. That was the last straw.

8. Treating my dad like dirt when he was just a lonely old man. By that time I was out but their treatment of him, culminating in his suicide two years ago, cemented the fact that I will NEVER GO BACK. I don't care if I sit in a burning bush. Not worth it.

Nina

• Xena
    Xena

My ex was assigned a talk dealing with the fall of Jerusalem in 607 BCE. He decided to spice it up a bit by incorporating some outside references, he had just picked up a HUGE book on bible history at the half price book store and was chomping at the bit to use it. ooppps...needless to say he was suprised to find history does not agree with the Watchtower Society. He did some more research and then came to me with what he found...rocked our world to say the least. After that we started really listening and comparing notes and finding more things that just didn't jive. We spoke with the elders on one occasion and totally stumped them....then one day we just decided to quit going and never went back.

Now you know who to blame for having me here

• alw
    alw

G day Ozzies, what a poll!,,, this will open the flood gates, i dont think my comp. has enough megabites to answer this question. however i would like to share a few thoughts with you. some years ago when i was appointed a m.s. i was witnessing on sat. morn with the group and a sister and her 2 young children were with us, nothing unusual there i hear you say. read on. this particular sister had just been recently visited by myself and an elder with the soul purpose of encouraging her to start attending meetings again after an absence of approx 4 years.she said she would consider it.hooray we said.after our visit ended i felt so sad for her as she told us about the reasons she had neglected the meets, her husband a non jw had been drug trafficking, heavy drinking,and abusing all of them in many ways, he finally one day arrived home with a shotgun and said in front of her and the children theres no future put the gun under his chin and fired, please imagine what they went through, so for obvious reasons she fell away, so to speak.the very next meet she turned up after our visit, the elder and i were so pleased to see her and her children,we felt we had restarted her, my wife and i made them welcome, hence she asked us to study with her to help her which we jumped at with glad hearts. progress was made nicely, meets, study, answers, all the usual. the witness sat. mentioned above, was her first in 4 years, my wife and i had got to know her better by now and knew her financial situation wasnt at all very well,after field serv. we informed her that some of us, and all were invited to go to the local mcdonalds for a drink,but she took me to one side and said she couldnt afford to in her present circumstances, and her children had never stepped foot in mcds ever, my wife and i said that we would love to take them and not to worry about money, therefore the whole group of us visited mcds. very next meet elders call me into back room(no not the back room) where i was grilled about taking my group to mcds for a drink after field serv, then told sternly not to do it again,i produced a bible and asked them to show me which scripture mentions mcds,they were not amused, they said by encouraging this habit it is the only reason they go out on the serv. how presumptous! i wasnt quick enough back then but didnt jesus take his disciples to one side and break bread and serve fishes,i think so. any how that was the start for my doubts not about the bible but the stupid ones who always assume bad motives.would it not have been more christian to ask me in the back room to discuss how best they could assist this poor sis and her children.

well ozzies there are many more like that one but we will leave those for another time.

just heard about the awake can you tell us the reasons for this, or is it another big secret like the u.n. jw.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

That's so sad alw - what I want to respond is a tad harsh, so it's better that I keep quiet, lol!

For me (lots!) but The Revelation Book sticks in my mind - not the contents, but the disclaimer at the beginning - and it was as if I was the only person to see it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit