Do you think of yourself as an apostate

by barbar 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nellie
    Nellie

I started a thread once entitled "non-practicing JW" - I guess in reality I'm just as easily a "non-practicing apostate"

I've always believed that as free moral agents, we have not only the ability but the right to choose for ourselves what we want to do with our lives - and if someone chose NOT to be a JW, then we should respect that choice. That's the choice I've made - I no longer wish to practice the religion of the WBTS. My choice - my free will. Does that make me an apostate? Some practicing JWs may think so, but I don't. I'm not interested in convincing any of them to change their minds any more than I was really interested in going door-to-door trying to convince the world that they should jump onboard.

Ultimately, it's their label - and since I don't feel the need to live up to their standards anymore, they can put it on me if they want - it really doesn't matter to me.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It is just a word with a defined meaning. If it fits, what's the problem?

a·pos·tate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (
    n.

One who has abandoned one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause.

I have abandoned the faith of the Jehovahs Witnesses. By the definition of the word, I am apostate. What's wrong with that? Anyone who changes their mind in favor of one ideal, and takes up another is an apostate.

It's just a word... I don't understand the issue with using it in it's proper form.

However, when the Witnesses use it, they twist it around to bring fear upon those leaving them. The threat of physical harm for being an apostate is just one more of their control methods. If I were to say to you, "You are a Carnivore! Because of that the Great Vegtable God is going to destroy you!" you'd think I were mad.

You know that the word Carnivore just means that you eat meat. What's the problem? It's the phycho's telling you that you are going to die for being one that is the problem. Once you understand that you're dealing with a phycho, the threats are meaningless and the word just goes back to being a word...

I am not afraid of words...

J

• Pole
    Pole

Do I look like one?

Pole

• Pole
    Pole

jeannie,

Denotative and connotative meaning. That's what I think the discussion is about.

Pole

• blondie
    blondie

I was just reading in the Bible where Jesus told the religious leaders of his day that what they were doing was not in line with the scriptures they said they revered. Are we to conclude that he was leaving his faith in God because of doing that. What about Jeremiah, Isaiah, Stephen, who "criticized" the teachings. They weren't attacking the scriptures but the way they had been twisted by people claiming to represent God. Who really are the apostates then? The ones who twist the scriptures like the WTS does, or the ones who point it out. If that puts me in the same category as Stephen or Jeremiah, is that bad?

The WTS should take the rafter out of its eye first.

Blondie

• Ellie
    Ellie

No, I'm not an apostate, I don't feel the need to waste any more time on those people or the organisation, however I do like this board because I can relate to what other people have been through and it makes me feel less of a freak.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

In the JW cult definition, you betcha, in Webster's definition, never!

• Nellie
    Nellie

JeanieBeans -

I think it's more than just the matter of the dictionary definition, because dictionary definitions (and secular meanings) change from year to year. Easy examples are the words: gay, mouse, phat (fat), dope, bitching, and even the "n" word. I remember as a child looking that up and it said "ignorant". That definition could have applied to anyone of any color. Today, the dictionary says, "a taboo term for a black person." Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The WBTS says an apostate is someone who tries to turn others away from their former beliefs. Since I don't make it a practice to actively pursue others and show them the error of their ways, I don't consider myself an apostate by their standards. But by dictionary standards, I am.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The word apostate does not appear in the New Testament, it is a term given with derision by the organisation to create fear of people that leave. In my congregation a friend of mine is about to be disfellowshipped and everyone knows she has become an apostate.. It is less than 2 months ago that she was a whole hearted pioneer. The level of gossip and lies about her is astounding. She has been labelled an apostate and had all sorts of bad motives attributed to her because it is the only way a Witness can understand how someone does not see it is the 'truth'.

I will no doubt be d'd soon as an apostate too, but i will refuse to ever accept such a title. I was baptised for love of God and truth. I never agreed to be part of an organisation that is based on lies and falsehood. The religion i am leaving is not the one i ever believed i was signing up to. I take great offense to being labelled an apostate.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The congregation has labelled me, too, though I was never a JW. I have been called an "unbeliever". I find that very insulting, considering I have been a Christian (non-JW) for over 25 years. Since they don't know me well, and still hold out for my conversion, I simply retort, "I am not an unbeliever."

That shuts them up right quick.

Even though I know their little minds are boiling over with "naaaanaaaa-nana-na paaaaagan tri-ni-taaaarian."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit