Do you think of yourself as an apostate

by barbar 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• steve2
    steve2

I have departed from the teachings of the JW religion that I was raised in because I no longer believe those teachings and I also speak out against them. Therefore, I am an apostate. This puts me in the same company as Jesus and the apostle Paul who apostasized from Judaism.

What makes the word apostate more palatable is the history of Christianity is one in which one group after another after another after anothere has apostasized from the "mother" church.

Look at Charles Russell: The established churches of his day accused him of heresy (a "nicer" word than apostasy, some would say).

I eat you/you eat me/they eat us/they eat each other/we all eat eveybody else....

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Although I was raised in it and never got baptized, I consider myself Apostate and wear it with pride. I picket Kingdom Halls, distribute flyers, informal anti-witnessing, so yeah im Apostate.

Dave

• kls
    kls

Anyone can call me what they want as long as they call me a jw.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Yes. I think of myself apostate in not only leaving the JW's but also for other things. A long time ago there was a thread on this very thing. I had at that time looked up the definition of apostate. In the dictionary it stated that one was an apostate because they left the ideals of their religion, political stance, principles or cause. I am an apostate also because I do not recycle anymore.

Yes, I left the ideals of being a JW. Do I actively go out to do harm to other JW's and their belief's?...No. I feel now that they have to do what they have to do that makes them happy. It is not my job to do that. In fact I told my mom once that she was apostate due to the dictionary understanding, because she went from being a devout Catholic to a JW, and she became indignant. I understand that now. I didn't then. I have in the past tried to sway others from what they believe but I now believe that is not what I should do.

Apostacy has been greatly missapplied in the JW world. Apostacy is not the big bad thing that the JW's try to make the R&F think it is.

• Carmel
    Carmel

...."as is all religion..." Here we go again! Another one claiming to be knowledgible about all religion! A Judge Ruggerford holdover!

carmel

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

"I eat you/you eat me/they eat us/they eat each other/we all eat eveybody else...."

--direct quote from Steve2

Eat me, Steve2

(just kidding!)

--Merry

• Dustin
    Dustin

Hell yeah I do. I'm proud to say I despise the JW religion. I'd turn every single person away if I could. But for now I'll just concentrate on my parents.

Dustin

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

By what definition? Theirs? By theirs I suppose I am. And I will joke about that.

By my definition, I call myself a "lucky one." I've had the wool pulled from my eyes. If the WTBTS was truly God's org, then I'd guess I was an apostate. But it's not God's org, so I feel more like a refugee who finally got a real home after fleeing from the borg.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

apostasy >noun abandonment of a belief or principle.
    -ORIGIN Greek apostasis 'desertion'.

apostate >noun a person who renounces a belief or principle.

These are the definitions in my "Word Perfect" dictionary for these terms, however, the WTS in actuality labels anyone who questions or opposes their particular doctrines or practices in any way....as apostate or steeped in apostasy.

I take issue with the WTS' use of the term as a "catch-all" label against those who take issue or question their doctrines and/or practices.....simply because.....when I recited my "oath" at baptism, it was to the most high deity and not to an organization of earthling men.

My solid stand against everything they teach and practice did not and does not actually qualify as apostate, tho that's what the WTS has branded me. It suits them to twist even the normal definitions of words in order to hide their ambiguous and nefarious actions from those who remain in their clutches.

Frannie

• prophecor
    prophecor

I would be classified by their terminology as an apostate as well, however, after coming to the realization of the history regarding the WTBTS, I consider myself as having been guilible, mislead and uninformed, taking all that the Society had to say at face value.

It now becomes my responsibility to take a more conscientious look at any and all religious institutions, as I have invested years of pain and an unwholsome dread of God in this one.

I can't imagine myself having made any proper decsions in life while underneath the dreaded cloud of doom the Society instills in its adhereants. Every thought, deed and action, was only made out of guilt or fear, the good, bad and everything in between.

Within and without of the truth. I have been truly rescued from a religious system that breeds guilt fear and suspicion within virtually every breath of ones existence, be you a witness or be you not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit