Do you think of yourself as an apostate

by barbar 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:Even though I know their little minds are boiling over with "naaaanaaaa-nana-na paaaaagan tri-ni-taaaarian."

LOL @ jgnat

GBL

• luna2
    luna2

I do think of myself as apostate...but I use the term mockingly. I think Jehovah's Witnesses are dead wrong about most everything, yet think they are the "it" religion...so arrogant! They deserve a bit of gentle mocking.

I don't have much desire to take it to them directly, though. If people ask me, I will tell them what I think and why. Of course, I am not suffering the effects of family shunning either. If I was, perhaps I'd be more aggressive.

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

I absolutely do not. I always hated the term, and refuse to be categorised as such. I do understand how some of you have reclaimed the term (which is great) but for me personally it makes me really angry to think of being labelled (i.e dismissed as a 'crazy') as an apostate. I was always scared of 'apostate' protestors when I went to assemblies, because JW's would strike the fear of god into you if you so much as looked at them, or picked up a leaflet.

• minimus
    minimus

yup

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I guess my point is why buy into their rules? They have spent 200 years twisting the meaning of words around. Let's take the words away from them!

If they lose the ability to burden people with fear, they lose control. Have you ever been in an argument with someone and they throw a word at you designed to infuriate you? Rather than succomb to the temptation to retaliate in kind, have you ever asked them to define the word? If it fits the situation, have you tried to accept the term, agree with them? It's amazing how much wind you take out of their sails doing this. They lose control of the situation and you gain control of the situation.

I say, don't give the jerks more ammo than they already have. Let's take their words of fear and tell them to 'shove it'.

J

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Well, lets see.

I have accumulated over 1500 posts on an internet message board that is anything but pro-JW.

I regularly speak with those who are DFed, DAed, and inactive.

I co-headed a major ongoing campaign to deposit facsimiles of checks in contribution boxes at major gatherings of Jehovah's witnesses.

I encourage other young JWs to think freely and openly.

So I guess that makes me an apostate, and a damn good one at that.

But I went out in service this morning!!!

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    So I guess that makes me an apostate, and a damn good one at that.

But I went out in service this morning!!!

How does that feel in the service, when you know all you have to offer is bu##sh@t ??

Anyway I erally don't like the term apostate. (maybe that is the Jw still inside me, connecting this word to demunz etc...)
    I also don't like it because apostate would mean that there is only one religion you can be an apostate of. I am just someone who happens to disagree.

Danny

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

A year ago I didn't really like the lable "apostate", now I really honestly couldn't care less what they call me. They could call me an apostafreak-show-God-mooning bastard and I'd actually love it.

GBL

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    How does that feel in the service, when you know all you have to offer is bu##sh@t ??

It feels bad. However, people in my area aren't interested. For those who are, I just finish quickly and leave, and don't call back.

• luna2
    luna2

I used to work for a lovely older lady who was very surprised to find out I was a JW because, in her words, I was "normal". She'd had an experience as a young girl where a witness came to her door, spoke in an odd sing-song voice, and then played his little record for her (long, long time ago). She grew up thinking all witnesses were crazy people and didn't have anything she wanted to know about.

Sooooo, (when you go out alone) Richie, you could act really strange at the doors which might have the effect of turning even more people off than the usual Dubiness of trying to peddle magazines and telling folks that they are gonna die, die, die if they don't join up. Of course, being too goofy-acting might cause someone to call the cops, so you will have to be careful not to get too enthusiastic with your act.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit