Do you think of yourself as an apostate

by barbar 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• barbar
    barbar

Many of the people on this site say that they are apostates. But that is not the way I feel about myself.

I am not angry with the "witnesses" or the organisation, I don't feel that I wasted my life. I just think that I was stupid to believe it for 30 years (well sort of believe it, I did have severe doubts on and off). I don't see it as my mission to tell others that they were wrong, although if it comes up in conversation I will say my true feelings, that JWs are wrong as is all religion.

I have been out for about 6years, and although each day gets easier I look at this site as a community of like people. I am interested to see others ideas and it is often comforting to know that you are not alone. But I just don't feel the anger that I see in so many people on this forum.

I never try to talk my mother out of the religion, I feel that although she has a false hope, it is better than the emptiness she would feel at her time of life if she no longer was a witness. If she was 30 years younger then maybe (but then I would only be 11).

But the question is, do you think of yourself as an apostate? By apostate I mean that you are proactively anti Jehovah's Witness or the beliefs.

Do you think it is better to turn all witnesses away from the "truth", as they see it?

Barbar

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

That whole word 'apostate' has been demonized to no end by the witnesses. I think a lot of people use it loosely around these parts to sort of take some of the superstition in that term away. But I know how it feels to be a wit and read stuff from people refering to themselves as apostates, I felt kinda spooked.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

No.

They define it as believing in Christ but not accepting ALL the teachings unique to the WTS.

They also define it as a turning away from a belief.

Since they have turned away from so many of the beliefs I was taught as the "Truth" when I was a youngster (30 yrs ago) they are themselves apostate, and why should I follow them down that road to destruction?

What also angers me is that they have so efficiently destroyed so many people's faith in some sort of spirituality, whatever it may be for them. No one can find their own truth, or live in faith in their own way. How many (in or out) are now living hopeless futile lives because they cannot find another meaning to existence other than the WTS??

HB

HB

• barbar
    barbar

Yes, but I am not asking whether you agree with the societies definition of the word apostate?

My question was more about whether you feel it right to let others live their religion as they please or that you feel it is better to try and let current JWs know they are wrong.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Do you think of yourself as an apostate
    No I never agree totally with them anyway !!! I don't care there apostate etiquet
  • hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Your original post I did not understand, obviously.

Since I am not one of the SOME given as evangelisers, I don't see the point of putting forward my own views as this would only destroy the faith and happiness of those who do truly believe, and I would be wasting the few precious hours left of my day talking to those who have been taught how not to hear a word anyone is saying that may contradict their propaganda.

I will not concede to them any power over my life and happiness by defining myself in their judgmental terms. Judging has been put in the hands of the Son.

HB

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I will leave active JW's alone. I will not attempt to discuss the errors of the WTS. If it comes up in discussion, sure I'll let them know, but it won't be a pro-active attempt on my part. I do though let non-JW's know what I have and am going through. I'd prefer to keep people out, then get the ones who are in.

Kwin

• Pole
    Pole

Apostates, Demons and Jehovah. These are the three most powerful words in the JW world. Not sure about the order.

They've lost their connotative meaning to me. When I use them, take it with a pinch of salt.

Pole

• JH
    JH

Hell No, I'm no apostate..

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

When I was a Witness an Apostate was defined as someone who knew the Watchtower was the truth but was working against it.

Since I have discovered that the Watchtower is not the truth has never been the truth and has been lying to its members for 126 years, I am not an Apostate.

I have broken free from attempted mind control by a dangerous bunch of !@#$%

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit