What Did You Typically Donate To The Hall & Society?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I can't remember that far back. The only thing I do remember is getting fussed at because i would keep all the big buckaroos donations that were meant for the worldwide work. My step-mom would fuss at me and tell me that it wasn't my money but needed to continue the preaching work. I would then reluctantly put in a buck or two.....

• PinTail
    PinTail

I only donated if my ex-wife twisted my arm. I felt that if its the true faith God would take care of the money.

• snakeizz
    snakeizz

all in all about $15 of my own money...and whenever i got a donation from field serice....(about $3).....my parents did all the donating....

• fairchild
    fairchild

It depended on my income. I usually gave $20. Not on a regular basis. Just whenever I had cash in my pocket, or when I had ordered a book. I did make it a habit of taking the poor ones out for lunch after the Sunday meeting. They would never have gone out for lunch if nobody had paid for them, because they just didn't have the money. I am hoping that now that I am gone, that perhaps I can still take them out for lunch some time.

Got to admit that I have donated much more money to good causes than to the KH.

• Scully
    Scully

Not too long after we stopped going to meetings, we sat down and figured out what being JWs cost us financially. We included things like meeting clothes, briefcases, shoes, overcoats, (plus wardrobe maintenance), wear and tear on the vehicle (plus gas and insurance), lost work opportunities for myself and Mr Scully, entertainment expenses (for when we had the book study group stay after the meeting for coffee and desserts), additional housekeeping (we must not Bring Reproach on Jehovah? by not cleaning up before and after the book study/service arrangements). Our conservative figures came to a whopping $10,000 a year for our family of five, without even figuring in what we donated for literature or any other donations that we gave.

It used to be that I felt so guilty that we weren't donating enough to the Contribution Boxes?. Once I saw those figures on paper though, I was glad we didn't give them more. What we were doing was plenty!

Love, Scully

• ko38
    ko38

20 bucks a week plus the society recomended donations for literature.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

My folks usually give $10 or $20 a week (since 1969 - at $10 thats = $18,720.00) even though they usually could use it themselves...more donations at assemblies...once I was baptised I gave $5 a week (sometimes)

Since I am an old fart (LOL) there were also no "recommended donations" for personal or service literature...it was cold hard cash baby.....who knows how much we spent (and they are still spending) on books and mags for personal use and then FS merchandise on top of that....

What a waste..............

RGW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit