Anyone like me where you still believe in MOST of their doctrines?

by inquirer 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inquirer
    inquirer

Like I don't like that UN involvment, record keeping. I don't know what to think about the paedophile stuff, because you could accuse the Catholic church of that too. But apart from those things I still believe that God's name is Jehovah, his son is Jesus, no trinity, and he died on a torture stake... I love reading the New World Translation, I believe it's the best one, but I love reading other translations too! I believe that you are suppose to preach and then you don't see others doing it, except for Mormons and a few other kinds, but then again they believe in Joseph Smith and the cross (The Society did offer proof in my opinion anyway.)

But I don't think they Have "love," and they are a bit cold blodded and superficial when they ask about you.

It's a bit like what this guy said in this group if that Adrian Smith didn't rejoin Iron Maiden with Bruce, Bruce wouldn't have ever came back to the group. Well, that's how I feel about the JW's. If they got rid of records, and fixed up this "2 Witness policy" I would join them back. And if they "cleaned out the paedophiles" from the congregation. But as I said I don't know much about this because I see other Churches... yeah said it before...

So are there other people who agree with me?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Like I don't like that UN involvment, record keeping.

* Good... I dont much care for it either. :D

I don't know what to think about the paedophile stuff, because you could accuse the Catholic church of that too.

* Is the Catholic church really the measuring stick you want to put your ideal religion up against anyways?
    You can make up your own mind based on the merits of the case that is before you. Talk to some of the people here who have first hand experience of what its like to be an abused child within that organization. Also, visit www.silentlambs.org for some good information that has been collected from all over the world. I think you might be surprised as to how extensive this problem is within the WTBTS as well as how they provide a fertile breeding ground for abusers.

But apart from those things I still believe that God's name is Jehovah, his son is Jesus, no trinity, and he died on a torture stake.

* I used to really believe that it was a huge point of contention as to what Jesus was killed on. Was it a cross or a tourture stake. In all honesty, does it really matter as long as he provided the neccesary sacrifice? I think that arguing about what he died on is drawing away importance from the more important thing. That he died at all.

I won't say anything to take away or argue your belief in what god's name is. I honestly dont think he would blink twice if you called him mac or joe, its just more important that you have a relationship with him at all. As for the trinity, I'm not even sure what to believe so we shall leave it at that. :D

I love reading the New World Translation, I believe it's the best one, but I love reading other translations too!

* I am personally very leery about the NWT. For just one simple example, look at John 1:1 in the NWT, then in every other version you can get your hands on. Do you spot the big differance? Its only one letter. NWT - And the word was *a* god Pretty much EVERY other version - And the word was God.

That is a huge difference mate. Changes the meaning of the entire scripture. There are tons more like that. Someone with a better knowledge of the bible than I can point you to more.

I believe that you are suppose to preach and then you don't see others doing it, except for Mormons and a few other kinds, but then again they believe in Joseph Smith and the cross (The Society did offer proof in my opinion anyway.)

* You would actually be surprised as to how many people do actually preach. It may not be door to door work like the Witnesses and the Mormons do, but their message gets across no less. Keep in mind that the command to go home by home in two's was simply the most effective way to spread a message back in those days. With the advent of the internet, tv, telephone, fax, and such, there is little reason to preach in that manner. *Quote from Oh Brother Where Art Thou* "Where not one at a timin here... We're mass communicatin!"

But I don't think they Have "love," and they are a bit cold blodded and superficial when they ask about you. It's a bit like what this guy said in this group if that Adrian Smith didn't rejoin Iron Maiden with Bruce, Bruce wouldn't have ever came back to the group. Well, that's how I feel about the JW's. If they got rid of records, and fixed up this "2 Witness policy" I would join them back. And if they "cleaned out the paedophiles" from the congregation. But as I said I don't know much about this because I see other Churches... yeah said it before...

* Again, you have to make up your own mind based on the case presented before you. I am glad to see that your concience would not allow you to continue being a member unless some major changes were to take place. Chances are slim that anything will change drastically any time soon.

Kansas District Overbeer

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

after knowing generations of jehovah's witnesses of many families, i believe at one time they DID have jehovah's blessing. and love was among them. but it felt to me that the love abruptly left in the early 80s. the entire atmosphere inside the kh's changed. so my theory is the powers that be failed us and apostasized the religion from Gods favor. the message is gone. they no longer spread the gospel , instead work to add to the monetary gain of the head office. and try to make for themselves a name instead of glorifying gods name anymore.

too many express a "love for Jehovahs organization" instead of professing a love for Jehovah himself as well as taking glory away from Jesus and his place in their lives.

i no longer think the jw's had gods favor exclusively but i do feel that what favor they had at one time as a group is gone. its an empty shell of what it used to be.

• holly
    holly

Hiya

that is a strange question for me. because i was studying with the jws but never actually became one. id believed what i was taught in church for years and could not cope with the idea of hell being an everlasting place of torture (other things as well, so i left).

I still believe in God as sovereign and as creator of all that exists. I believe in adam and eve and their fall, jesus redemption of mankind, that there will be and end and things will be put right. i dont profess to know alot about the jws, having only studied, although ive learned a great deal from this board.

but what does sit more comfortably is the idea of hell, being death, rather than everlasting torture. i could never go back to church when they teach this. even if they are right and its true, i could not worship god, if i truly thought this was the case. he would change from being a loving God in my mind, to a wicked God. when you get a problem with one teaching, especially a big one, it casts doubt on the rest of the doctrine. If anyone was scared growing up with jws, it was equally as bad growing up with people telling you that you were going to go to hell if you didnt believe in jesus as your saviour. there were times it was hard to believe in jesus as my saviour, with the knowledge of hell if i slipped from grace.

im not knocking what anyone else believes. i just couldnt cope with it myself, and prefer to believe the jws theory on that one.

holly

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I would recommend you read the Gospels, with an emphasis on the book of John. While you're reading, ask youself if Jehovah's Witnesses are in line with Jesus example.

It can take persons many years of reading and research to undo what the WTBS has drilled into their minds over and over. I still believed the New World Translation was a good Bible up until I was out of the Organization for 14 years. No Longer. I still believed they weren't a Cult, No Longer. I still believed they were Christians. No Longer.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I left JW's because I became an atheist. At the time that I left, I believed they had the correct understanding of the Bible, I just felt the Bible wasn't anything to base my life on anymore. But now that I've gotten out of the organization and actually heard the arguments for other doctrines, I don't buy their doctrines anymore either. They have some things right -- no hell, jesus died for the sin of the world, god will fix it all on his schedule, there should be love among jesus' followers -- but there's plenty they have wrong. Birthdays, holidays, blood, "rank" based on works in the church, forming "judicial committees".

After hearing the arguments for and against various doctrines, I've come to the conclusion that you can support or defeat many doctrines using any copy of the Bible. Once I allowed myself to see that the Bible is not the 100% consistent work that it is billed as, this all made a ton of sense. JW's can whip out scriptures to support their positions, and so can Catholics. It's not a matter of being right or wrong, but of interpretation. Letting go of the "the bible interprets itself" line that the JW's sell, I could see that they were indeed interpreting the Bible. Are holidays really bad? Well, if you interpret the Bible the way JW's do, yes. But if not, then no. It's not "right", it's their own take on it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from your beliefs, just telling you where I was and why.

Dave

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    So are there other people who agree with me?

Well, I agree tha Iron Maiden kicks ass!

As for the JW doctrines, I've washed myself clean of ALL of them. I have no reason to believe in the bible unless I have an encounter with an extraterrestrial. I don't believe in armageddon, 1914, the no blood thing, Jehovah, holy spirit, blessings, etc etc. I'll find out what the afterlife is like when I die.

While I'm on the topic of Maiden, I think it's pretty cool how much of the "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" album is based on the bible.

• Liberty II
    Liberty II

Hi Inquirer,

My love of real truth energized me to investigate the "Truth". I think you will find a wealth of information which will demolish the Watchtower & its teachings if you are willing to study the history of the WT Society. This is even true when using only the Watchtower's own original publications as research material. It is a plain and clear fact that the Organization has altered its history and heavily edited its own publication reprints in order to mislead JWs who might look through an index to research the numerous flip flops or ever changing "truths" of Watchtower doctrine. I would also recommend Ray Franz's Crisis of Concscience book as a starting point if you are willing to go beyond the Society's own publications. Good Hunting in your search for the truth.

• unique1
    unique1

I still believe Jehovah is God, Jesus is his son, there is no trinity or firey hell. However I don't believe disfellowshipping is correct or in the date 1914 or in the fact that they make dogmatic rules based on the watchtower not the scriptures.

I also realize though If I was raised in an eastern religion I would probably stick close to it as well, never becoming a christian. I think it all has something to do with the way we are raised. If you are raised a christian, you will stick to some sort of christian faith and vice versa.

• melmac
    melmac

MAIDEN! MAIDEN!

I think we definitely need an Iron Maiden Post!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit