The future of printed newspaper, do you read them.?

by one 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I'll reed the first page - (the 2nd is never of much interest to me) from the 3rd till the 5th the headlines (and when that is interesting the article as well) the cartoons (page 4) and I take the crossword puzzle and the crypto out.

Then the last page is once a week a big advertisement from a supermarket (LIDL) and I look at that one too.

Pretty much the same way as I read the topics on this forum - I start with the active topics - then I look for the last 4 pages ...... and when the title is catching, I read the article....

I do have a subscription on De Telegraaf which is one of the largest newspapers here. (I am not interested in the rest of the over 20 pages with sport and fashion and cars or better: I don't have enough time to read the rest as well.

• one
    one
    The same applies for articles of interest. I enjoy flipping from page to page looking for any headings that catch my eye... you can't do that online.

Not really, i have seen online newspapers using a format much better than papper for visual searching. They give you ALL the headlines in a single page above the first parragraph or first few sentences in the article.

They could even save screen space for more headlines if the first parragraph appears only when you just point the headline with the mouse ("flash"?).. I have seen too many online newspapers with terrible web design.

Simon please take note, so we dont have to open the thread to find out it is fluff or a jerk (me?) with catchy serious "headline"

• one
    one

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,339540,00.html

the above online newspaper showing "Hitler in color"

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

every morning then i do my crossword

Josie

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

You folks have anecdotally confirmed at least one of my suspicions: that the people who read the news on the Internet are the same people who would read it in a newspaper.

I suspect that Internet news-junkies are simply news-junkies with a fast modem. I used to read three or four papers a day when I was in college; now I read one IRL paper and three Internet papers.

I also suspect, as Satanus observed, that media corporatization and consolidation plays a pretty large role in the demise of newspapers. If all the papers have the same stories (as is true of all the Gannett papers, or all the papers that pull from the NYTimes/Boston Globe pool of resources), then what's the point of reading?

In the olden days of newspapering, papers were run by political parties. Yes, the news was biased, but you knew right up front what the bias was. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; it puts the responsibility for sorting out positions squarely on the reader. And, as a quick perusal of this thread shows, we've got plenty of savvy, intelligent readers out there. We just need to reach them, rather than pandering to the lowest common denominator. (Which means if I never see another celebrity trial story, I won't miss it at all.)

Jankyn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit