Pink Floyd Thread

by stillajwexelder 61 Replies latest social entertainment

• Satanus
  • Satanus
    Satanus

They are all pink

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like pre Dark Side Of The Moon Floyd. I never got a big buzz from Dark Side of The Moon. There was so much good music out at the time. I preferred listening to Traffic and Jethro Tull. I like choice songs from The Wall though. For Andy's birthday a couple of years ago I got him The Dark Side Of The Moon t-shirt. He loves it.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

yes, "Dark Side of the Moon", for sure... a masterpiece in every way! alt

• prophecor
    prophecor

The only one I can associate with being Pink is the illustrious Roger Waters. Pink Floyd was for my family, friends and neighbors a menace to my upbringing as anyone of my ethnic background and skin color was deemed never to even be listening to such foreign music, definitely not music for a black person to have reason to listen to.

When the planes would come in at the onset of the walls opening, I would always turn the volume all the way up. In a small apartment complex, that's a no no!!! When the wall came crashing at the end of the album, the volume went way up as well, my neighbors all deemed me insane as to my particular choices of music.

And I Loved The Unwanted Attention!!!

• sf
    sf

Wish You Were Here

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange
    a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl,
    year after year,
    running over the same old ground. What have we found?
    The same old fears,
    wish you were here.
    ----------------------------

Welcome to the Machine

Welcome, my son, welcome to the machine.
    Where have you been? It's all right, we know where you've been.
    You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
    provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'.
    You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
    and you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
    so welcome to the machine.

Welcome, my son, welcome to the machine.
    What did you dream? It's all right, we told you what to dream.
    You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
    he always ate in the Steak Bar, he loved to drive in his Jaguar.
    So welcome to the machine.

• prophecor
    prophecor

1) I've enjoyed Pink Floyd as an Obsession for years. I ve bought albums, too many to count, as I struggled with listening to such music, while still being a JW, many a copy of The Wall, The Final Cut and others, foolishly and ceremoniously were thrown into the river.

Who likes the Pink Floyd?

2)Favorite album The Wall. Second The Final Cut. Third The Dark Side of the Moon!!!

What is your favorite Album?

3) Wish you were here and everything after, upto and including their disbanding with Rogers' Solo Album The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking!

Which were their best years?

4) Roger for his blood curdeling, nightmareish screams, and Gilmore for his mastery at getting a guitar lick underneath your soul and using them as a means of exorcism of your deepest and darkest fears and humanizing emotional pain!!!

Who was your favorite member?
  • Preston
    Preston

1) Who likes the Pink Floyd? I listened to A LOT of Pink Floyd when I was a kid. Their atmospheric, dark lyrics dealing isolation, alienation, and death accurately suited my life as a JW.

2) What is your favorite Album? Meddle is pretty good, I recently re-listened to The Wall. Both are right up there.

3) Which were their best years? '67 - '75. It realy depends what you liked. Their style CHANGED drastically so many times, few people realize that...

4) Who was your favorite member? Syd Barrett. He was the real Pink Floyd because he was the manifestation of their music in real life in so many ways

*5.) Favorite Pink Floyd song? Fearless, Nobody's Home, Interstellar Overdrive, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Wish You Were Here, Terminal Frost, Sorrow, Outside the Wall, Run Like Hell, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• prophecor
    prophecor

Though I am a pre-Syd Barret Floyidian, the story regarding his begining is quite an eerie and obscured by clouds one in itself. The fact that drugs and a subsequent nervous breakdown were what lead to his downfall as the progenitor of the group.

Amazing as well, all the inordinate twist and turns taken within the group between Waters and Gilmour, all the way to their implosion after the Final Cut LP.

And here in the US, even after over 30 years, The Dark Side of the Moon continues to this day to be the #1 selling album in US history.

• Voyager
    Voyager

I still like (ALL) of their albums. But if I had to pick one that I liked best, it would probably be (THE WALL)!

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit