So my dad comes from vacation and ???!!!

by Kool Jo 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Hello folks.....so in an earlier thread I started, you'd realize that my father and I are quite close, we talk about almost everything/anything.

He traveled outside the country (he's semi-retired), enjoying the fruitage of his hard labor during his younger years. So he recently returned home after he and mum went away to catchup with some old friends in another country.

Upon his returning home, and subsequently to the meetings, he was told that a decision was made to strip him of his "field overseer" role, but will still continue to be an elder.

The reason...he goes away for too long too often...You can't be away from your congregation for three months out of the year!!!???

Has anyone else had this experience before? I know in my case I stepped down as an M/S because my job had me all over the place.

My dad has sacrificed a lot for this specific congregation...and in all honesty, i'm happy about this, less stress for him as he ages (50's)...and more about enjoying his life, and less supporting the free-loaders who let him rack up miles on his vehicle to transport them to/from ministry.

Peace,

Kool Jo

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    It's normal.  At one time he may have been removed as an elder.  Upon retirement an elder in my former congregation divided his time between two congregations.  He remained an elder in both congregations but could not hold any particular position and if I remember correctly was not used on judicial committees either.
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Good for him if he's retired in his fifties. Your parents should be spending their time travelling and seeing the world if they can afford it why not.

Sadly as JWs their reputation will be called into question, but thankfully they will see what the WT is really like and wake up from their bind.

Kate xx

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I hope they didn't make it sound so negative as "strip you of your role" or "take away your assignment."  They could easily have said it in a positive way such as "give you the break you deserve" or "let someone else do it for a change."  But knowing the organization and the way elders become, they probably said it the a-hole way.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Yep as others have noted, totally normal.  The ks says the main qualification for being a service group overseer is to be out with them in field service.  Maybe he will see the advantage of less responsiblities and use his time for himself or some other worthwhile pursuit
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Sounds like your father is lacking in the True Christian Quality of "VISIBILTY."

In order to be and Elder, not only must you be a high-hour publisher, you must also make sure that people see you doing it -- otherwise you might not even bother. Doing stuff in a manner that everyone sees what you're doing is called "Visibility."

Ironically, the Leader of the Only True Relgion on Earth, Jesus Christ, has been INvisible for over a century now.

I wonder if he'll ever be deleted?

• Splash
    Splash

The seeds were sown by one jealous elder who used your Dad's absence to form a BOE meeting and cast him in a bad light. Petty mindedness with no consideration for his years of sacrifice and service.

This plays out in congregations all over the world, your Dad isn't alone.

Sounds like a great result for your Dad though, maybe they will go away for more than 3 months next time!

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

That is an assignment that is almost always given to the most fs active elder. In the cong I am stuck in, it has changed hands about three times in the past 5 years. If there is an elder that's pioneering, he most often will be given that spot. Even an elder that auxiliary pioneers often, will be more likely to get that spot! The Fs overseer, is supposed to make regular monthly visits to differnt fs groups!

I too think most likely this is the reason he was removed from that spot, nothing more!

Dwain 

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Hi kool jo.

I was wondering..... how does your dad feel about it?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    If your dad has any self-respect at all, this might get him thinking.  On the other hand, he may have grown to enjoy the deliciousness of The Watchtower lash...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit