So my dad comes from vacation and ???!!!

by Kool Jo 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Things like this can be very arbitrary from congregation to congregation and CO to CO.

Ugh! service overseer, secretary, WT study conductor, school conductor, ... I cant say that any of them were very good at handling their positions in the congregations I was in. The only time positions were changed were (1) when someone moved, removed, or died, (2) someone else actually wanted the job, (3) the CO said someone had to go.

And I've seen it enough times where a bro gets ambitious and wants to be secretary or conductor or something. Maybe he'll be gung-ho the first few months, but usually by the second CO visit afterward, his passion is deflated.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The personality/culture of this religion is the same as a jealous and controlling spouse. They just can't stand anyone having any outside interests of their own.

It's a codependent relationship with the religion being the abuser and each individual being the abused enabler. Ironically, elders play both roles. They are the abusers when they act in their official capacity, they are the abused enabler as an individual.

There is only one way to have a healthy self-image in a situation like this: leave it.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• blondie
    blondie

Things like this can be very arbitrary from congregation to congregation and CO to CO.

-----------------

I have seen this done with snowbird elders.  Every BOE and CO does it different.  We had elders that worked from M-F out of town and could not be the school overseer 

• brandnew
    brandnew

Good for him, weeks after my dad giving half of his 22 acre ranch to the wbts.....they took his eldership from him.

His alzheimers keeps him from remembering alot.....but they sure did wait for him to sign papers first.

Good luck to your pops.......TRAVEL ON ! ! ! ! 

• steve2
    steve2

We should not be surprised by the "politics" of it all - but the reality is that JWs are as prone to the tawdry politics of running congregations as the next group.

It likely shocks because you'd think they'd somehow be different from other groups and treat one another with empathy and kindness. But there you go: After everything is said and done, JWs are just like any other group.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I have seen these things handled poorly and they end up making the holder of these volunteer duties feel  as if he's being punished, however it makes sense that if someone is gone for months at a time, they'd assign the Field Overseer duties to someone who was able to be physically present to oversee the main "mission" of the religion.

• label licker
    label licker
    The hall here in Elmira, the coordinator goes away for eight weeks to Florida in the winter, a month in the summer and visits his adopted daughter and her husbands hall regularly. He was seldom seen. Both are retired. The wife retired from working in a medical lab with a nice pay out retirement and he retired from his fathers insurance company which was handed over to him. Both never ever pioneered but yet he would counsel young ones from getting an education and just pioneer. Him and his wife have mastered the meaning hypocrites to a "T". He is still the coordinator in this hall.
  • brandnew
    brandnew
    Like most of the gb......never have had a 9-5... and never had to pay a mortgage, or rent.  Its crazy but you see it all day in the kh.
  • millie210
    millie210

It could legitimately be due to his absences or it could be political.

One way to tell, is to see who gets appointed in his place. If he is someone whose been angling for the job - then you know. Or, if the guy appointed is a patsy- see who he kisses up to the most - that will be who was behind the demotion for your dad. 

Ah the dreams and schemes~ 

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Glad your Dad is enjoying his life. Good for him!!! 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit