1975 and all that

by helios 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    It makes you realise that some JWs would fail a test to become the village idiot.

LOL.... (funny line... *writing it down for future reference* )

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Interesting how that one all but died after 1975 failed.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

uhh...Riiiggghhhttt...

J

• PinTail
    PinTail

From the land beyond beyond, past the world of hope and fear I bid you "Who Doo" now appear, and give back my "Mojo".

• FairMind
    FairMind

I was a fairly new JW back in 1975 and never took the date seriously. Many took it very seriously and felt deceived when it didn't happen and the Society pinned the blame for "wrong expectations" on the rank and file. The pioneer couple that studied with my wife and me (very fine people) and who had been birth JWs both left the organization. Their primary reason for leaving was the guilt they felt for misleading so many people into the organization based on the 1975 date.

FM

• Crooked Lumpy Vessel
    Crooked Lumpy Vessel

I hopped on board the dumb truck right after the 70's. I was just a green onion then and believed everything the older people told me because I was young and old people were smart. Right?

Anyway, at that time I was told that Jehovah was "sweeping house" This was Jehovah's way of weeding out those who were interested in the truth only to save their skin and that those who remained were the faithful ones. I said, "RO-RAY!" in my best scooby doo voice. :p

I also remember during our study she said that those who went to Kingdom Halls were there because they loved Jehovah and not because they wanted to survive the big "A". I secretly was ashamed and then told her that the only reason I was there was because I did not want to die and I did not want my children to die -- forever. She said in her most sweet sisterly voice, "Over time that will change". Although I think she was wrong, she was still a sweet woman. I always secretly hoped that Jehovah would not kill me.

• AlanF
    AlanF

CLV said:

: ... I was told that Jehovah was "sweeping house" This was Jehovah's way of weeding out those who were interested in the truth only to save their skin and that those who remained were the faithful ones.

What this really was, was a group way of coping with a fundamental and failed prediction made by leaders who claimed to speak for God. The people who were "weeded out" were the smart ones. The people who stayed, despite having been deceived, were either stupid or emotionally dependent to a pathological degree.

: I also remember during our study she said that those who went to Kingdom Halls were there because they loved Jehovah and not because they wanted to survive the big "A". I secretly was ashamed and then told her that the only reason I was there was because I did not want to die and I did not want my children to die -- forever. She said in her most sweet sisterly voice, "Over time that will change". Although I think she was wrong, she was still a sweet woman. I always secretly hoped that Jehovah would not kill me.

I think that this is extremely common among JWs. I seriously doubt that even 10% of them would "stick with Jehovah" if the carrots of living forever and resurrection were removed from the stick. This is easy enough to prove. If JWs truly loved Jehovah, who they claim to worship as the God of truth, then they'd demonstrate a love for truth. But most JWs will demonstrate just the opposite under the right circumstances. Not only do they detest certain truths, they're afraid that what they've called "The Truth" is no such thing. Therefore they can't love their God. It follows that they're there for the reward.

AlanF

• TD
    TD

Something that went almost hand in hand with 1975 was the United States bicentennial. (1976) I remember that as the date approached, some Witnesses in my area started repeating a crazy rumor that police all over the country were on alert about possible revolution in the U.S. well before that date (wink, wink)

One Circuit Servant by the name of Wargo actually repeated it from the platform.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Yeah, I was there too. Going around spreading the "news" to anyone and everyone who came within five feet of me. I was so POSITIVE that we had secret and private knowledge of the big "A", that I was "bold and fearless" in talking about it. I figured that anyone who scoffed at it would be gone anyway and the ones who listened would be glad they did.

I was a real hardcore nut case, and believed everything that came from the literature and the platform. Beats me why I stayed for so long.

Annie

• fairchild
    fairchild

Does anyone know where I could view the records for that year? This is just to satisfy my curiosity. I am wondering how many people actually got baptized in 1975 and how many left the organization in let's say 1976.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit