1975 and all that

by helios 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• helios
    helios

I well recall the husband of my sister-law telling us the most earth shattering news. This was around 1973 and 1975 fever was starting to take over many individuals. With breathless excitement he told us the follow story. A female JW was in her garden when she was suddenly found the next door neighbour calling her. The neighbour had a question to ask.

It seemed the lady was a medium and the previous evening had settled down to have a comfy chat with her spirit guide when she was advised that all contacts were on hold. She tried again and again and eventually got through only to be told,"I cannot answer your questions, we are all getting ready for Armageddon." This puzzled the medium who decided to ask the JW what the word Armageddon meant.

It makes you realise that some JWs would fail a test to become the village idiot.

• badboy
    badboy

Hmmm.

An urban myth?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

It most certainly was a JW urban myth. We heard a similar tale. You know as much as the JWs "hate" liars, they sure seemed to love a good tall tale!

Sherry

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

That's it! I'm going to go get ready for 1975 this minute!

Kwin

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Wow !

I guess I can myself as "priveliged" to have heard so many JW urban legends.........including this one. This is another one I forgot about.

How about the one shortly before 1975 where the JW's were talking about how the carrion (dead body) eating birds were multiplying in an unheard of rate. There take on it was that Armageddon was definitely coming just like the FDS said in 1975.

HappyDad

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

• proplog2
    proplog2

This is worse than an urban myth. It sounds like a SUB-urban myth.

• franklin J
    franklin J

wow, sounds like she was trying to call her spirit advisors via telephone and got the " busy circuit" recording.

I also remember the 1975 fever, and I can tell you that it WAS NOT MADE UP. The watchtower will never admit to it ; but they started that date in everyones HEAD.

They also bandied about the sciptural passage " the moment they shout PEACE AND SECURITY sudden destruction will be upon them." Well one summer they named a National assembly "the peace and security assembly ( circa early or mid 70s) and during the convention the headlines in the New York Post sang out "PEACE AND SECURITY"; of course everyone at this assembly was literally BREATHLESS waiting for the big announncement that armageddon had started. They simply announced that it was not jehovahs appointed time yet; and we should disregard the headlines.

More Jw nonsense....

• Robdar
    Robdar

Helios, don't you remember? Armageddon did come in 1975. And we all survived it!!! We are the chosen ones of Jah! Now get to work burying all the dead bodies, there's plenty more where those come from.....

Funning aside, of all the JW legends, I had never heard that one before. Hehehe, can't wait to tell my daddy about it.

Robyn

• mouthy
    mouthy

I remember it well!!!!!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yeah it was another JW urban myth. When I was young I recall my sister repeating a similar story about it happening to a friend of hers.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit