1975 and all that

by helios 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

your/you're - whoops you're right about that. the fewer commas the better though, and in my rather compressed sentence the "are" is expendable.

pepheuga

• AlanF
    AlanF

: the fewer commas the better though,

Not in this case. You could also have meant "Oh, dear folks, ...." The purpose of punctuation is for clarity and to remove ambiguity.

: and in my rather compressed sentence the "are" is expendable.

Which is bad grammar. There's a difference between good and bad compression.

You never did explain why you called FairMind a fool. Are you a braindead JW or something like that?

AlanF

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

furthermore, AlanF, you are actually wrong about the "are"! it would in fact have to be "is", accompanied by a relocation of the clause in brackets.

*spoils for fight*,

pepheuga

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

:You could also have meant

this rather invites the retort, "but it didn't and you knew it". well, you did didn't you!

• AlanF
    AlanF

The business about the "are" are debatables, pehpuega. Sicne wat yo put in brakits are a necesary prt of the sentince, it wud of bean much, muck better to say, "dull wit and bad English are in plentiful supply". Th brckets are stylistically bad sinc the pras "& bad english" is not a mere side reference, but a necsary part of th wetnce.

Why did you call FairMind a fool?

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

::You could also have meant

: this rather invites the retort, "but it didn't and you knew it". well, you did didn't you!

No, I didn't know it -- I chose it as the more likely of two possible meanings.

So you're referring to yourself as an "it" now?

AlanF

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

:The business about the "are" are debatables, pehpuega. Sicne wat yo put in brakits are a necesary prt of the sentince, it wud of bean much, muck better to say, "dull wit and bad English are in plentiful supply". Th brckets are stylistically bad sinc the pras "& bad english" is not a mere side reference, but a necsary part of th wetnce.

err, ok then.....

pepheuga

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I heard the "demon story" over here, too! A girl was possessed, but then the demon left, saying he did not have time to bother her any more, as they were all in a hurry, preparing for Armageddon.

But then, some are swift in making preparations, while others have to spend more time preparing ........... Maybe all demons just are somewhat slow, sort of a bit retarded .......

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The "Demons getting ready for Armageddon story" was passed around on the South Coast of England too. I heard it, I believe, some years before the 70's

Fairmind.............in the 1974 - 75 service there were 295,073 recorded baptisms. I cannot say how many left but in the 1975 - 1976 service year the baptisms were 196,656 . Make of that what you will.

Actually it was some years before the figures really slowed down. At the time, as somebody said at the start of the thread, there was a strong feeling that we must not let it bother us unduly. After all "We have to prove that we are not just here for the reward" ....Slow learners weren't we?

• sistaintheback
    sistaintheback

I was rather young in 75, but my mom says that some JW sold their homes and bought mobile homes. Some bought big expensive homes thinking "A" would come soon and they wouldn't have to pay for it. Some people put off having children and are now old and childless.

I remember in 1986 when, I think it was President Bush Sr., shouted something about Peace and Security. Everyone was buzzing. I was in high school and I remember thinking that I was glad the new system would come before I got married and had children because I wanted the pain free childbirth that only the new system could provide. Welllllll, I've gone through childbirth 4 times now and I should have waited!!(OUCH!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit