Shunning - what do they think they are accomplishing?

by mjarka911 39 Replies latest jw friends

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

A JW cousin of mine called my JW wife today and asked if I saw my new nephew from my JW sister. My wife said "no, his family would never allow him to see the baby!" (I'm DA'd). My cousin said "Good, thats the way it should be - that could help bring him to his senses!"

Now, shunning because you don't think someone is a good influence makes sense. That's your right. But, do they really think someone will want to return to people who abuse them this way. Am I supposed to think "thank god they selfishly denied me seeing a newborn baby, I really want to be with these people!"

Isn't this like telling your wife "Come back and I'll stop hitting you."

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I've said this same thing to my husband over and over.

I think it really just makes them feel spiritually superior to treat people like they are what is under the doggie doodie on the bottom of their shoes.

These same people would probably be the yes men to bullies or the bullies themselves if they had any real power in the world.

• sugarbritches
    sugarbritches

The witnesses here all shun- ignore- etc... me they say I am bad association because I am not a witness. I'm glad I am no longer studying with them. Why would I want to spend forever with people who don;t want to spend now with me?-Sugarbritches

• franklin J
    franklin J

They really believe that they are doing Gods will....the weak minded ones believe that anyway.

Those who can think for themselves see the inhumanity in it ( imagine if you were asked to shun your own child?) and do not go along with it pleading it is a conscience issue....

some loving group....

• Fleur
    Fleur

Shunning is all about one thing: control. Control over those who try to leave, control over those who might follow; Control over the fears and emotions of their members is all that the JW's have to keep people in the cult now. It's not like they can 'recommend their lifestyle' by their joy and happiness, as the many suicides among JW's and the rampant depression and alcohol/prescription drug use among the rank and file demonstrate.

I actually consider it a protection now; their fanatical behavior is a good insurance policy that I won't go back. If they'd been kind and accepting and welcoming...they might have sucked me back in before. It wouldn't work now; but in the beginning, heck yeah, it would have worked on me. I still believed that they were right when I first got df'd for leaving a man who abused me and marrying a man who treats me like gold.

They accomplish in their own minds "keeping the congregation clean"; from the GB standpoint free thought is like gangrene; you have to amputate the offending limb in order to keep it from spreading.

But unlike gangrene, what they are trying to prevent the spread of is the knowledge of their dirty laundry; they try to prevent the spread of the facts, and the "truth" which is that you CAN leave the organization without becoming well, pardon the term, but a crackwhore. That is what my family expected me to become. They can't explain why I'm the only person, and I mean the ONLY person in the family with a) not only a happy life but B) a healthy marriage and a peaceful home.

Now, shunning because you don't think someone is a good influence makes sense. That's your right. But, do they really think someone will want to return to people who abuse them this way. Am I supposed to think "thank god they selfishly denied me seeing a newborn baby, I really want to be with these people!"

Isn't this like telling your wife "Come back and I'll stop hitting you."

I am so sad that you can't see the baby. I have missed out on many happy family occaisions since I left and it has been hard. But the reasons that I left became crystal clear when they said they would shun me at my grandmother's funeral recently; I realized as my relatives droned on about me 'returning to Jehovah and their lives" how empty their lives are. My aunt said "you can waltz back into our lives at any time." and she had this really creepy, stepford smile on her face. It was all about them, what they wanted me to do and be.

You have to be who you are. There's just no other way to live and stay sane at all.

I'm sorry you're suffering now. Maybe someday, you'll be able to think of it another way, and when they are unkind to you, you will just pity them.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))

essie

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

This is emotional blackmail, pure and simple.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

To *me*, it seems like they are telling you that you have DISPLEASED JEHOVAH (in a loud echoing voice) and that he can only be appeased by them pretending you don't exist. You can only get off punishment and be worthy of their love and friendship after you go through a period of groveling, bowing and scraping-waiting to be "allowed" to be treated as a member of the human race once again.

I'd really like to see just how many "grovelers" have rushed back to the Org after this treatment, as opposed to all those who have told the WTS to stuff it.

Annie

• peggy
    peggy

I have always been ambivilent to disfellowshiping. I could not fully shun. It was not in my nature. My son is now experiencing shunning from some of my family members. He is not a bad person, he is a young man who has fallen in love. I love him, and could never harm him in such a way. I would die for him. He is my son, will always be my son.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Do you really believe that you will ?win me over? by treating me in such an abusive manner?

Just one small piece of a letter I sent to my parents.

• steve2
    steve2

The depressing reality is that individuals do seem to return to the Kingdom Hall because the shunning is just too hard for them to bear. I remember reading in the Watchtower an account of a young woman who returned after being disfellowshiped. She was quoted as virtually saying something like "I'm glad my family shunned me because it made me see how much I had displeased Jehovah." A sad variation on the "hit me because it's all I know" theme evident among abuse-victims.

The Watchtower sure is clever! Demonstrate to readers that at least some people do buckle under pressure and return. I guess it would make sense if, underneath it all, the individuals who returned actually believed it was the truth. But how sad to return simply to avoid others' disapproval.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit