So I go to my first day of work.....

by missy04 49 Replies latest jw friends

• missy04
    missy04
    Hey!! CONGRATS again!!!
    I really enjoyed dentistry. If there is one thing I would do differently, though... I would have started my college carreer MUCH sooner than age 32. Even if you only take one class at a time - and that's quite doable - start now. You will be so pleased with yourself.

Enjoy!!
    -Aude.

I think I will like it, too. I am excited. Especially about the $$$$$$

My mom was a dental assistant for I don't even know how many years. She basically had jobs that consisted of working on people from the neck up She was also a hairdresser and had her own beauty salon.

I will go to college pretty soon probably...I took one class in 2003 at the local college because "homeschooled" students can take college classes. It was kinda fun.

~Sarah

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

hey, Missy... don't eat lunch in the breakroom, muwahahahaha...

The Witnesses also make good use of openings for talking about the good news as they come in contact with other people in their daily lives. It may be a few words exchanged with a neighbor or with a fellow traveler on a bus or a plane, a longer conversation with a friend or a relative, or a discussion with a fellow worker during lunch hour.

"Excuse me Ma'am, may I help you with your groceries?" "No, that's ok..." "Here, (grabbing), just ...LET...ME -oof- grab aholdofit..." "No, it's really ok Sir, it's not heavy!" "I INSIST MADAM", clutching the bag to his chest and blocking doorway,"So, have you heard the Good News...soon you won't have to carry heavy grocery bags like this! Jehovah God has a plan for you blahblahblah..."

• missy04
    missy04
    "Excuse me Ma'am, may I help you with your groceries?" "No, that's ok..." "Here, (grabbing), just ...LET...ME -oof- grab aholdofit..." "No, it's really ok Sir, it's not heavy!" "I INSIST MADAM", clutching the bag to his chest and blocking doorway,"So, have you heard the Good News...soon you won't have to carry heavy grocery bags like this! Jehovah God has a plan for you blahblahblah..."

ROFLMAO!! That was hilarious!!!!!

~Sarah

Incense_and_Peppermints

heh. (yikes, it's almost Monday).... oh wait...MLK Day! yay!

• missy04
    missy04

I actually have not seen the witness at the front desk since the first day I noticed her. Maybe she works as a fill in or something.

...I guess this is normal after a first week at a job, but I am really uncomfortable. Ok, really, really uncomfortable. I know the dentist and his wife personally (not very well, though) because the dentist is a pastor at a church we sometimes go to. But at the dental office, it doesn't seem like they like me.

My mom works there too, at the front desk. In the break room, she made a joke about something I said after my first day, she told it to my boss, (I thought it was funny, but would not have repeated it to the other employees or my to my employer) and my boss looked at me like I was really dumb.

The girl who is training me is nice, but talks down to me like I am dumb (I don't know much about what to do yet, but I am not dumb).

...So I have been basically feeling ..DUMB.

~Sarah

• missy04
    missy04

heh. (yikes, it's almost Monday).... oh wait...MLK Day! yay!

Tomorrow is Martin Luther King day???? I don't look at the calendar often LOL

How come I don't get tomorrow off HEHE

~Sarah

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Awww

Missy, Don't feel dumb. And don't play dumb.

Rule #1 in a dental office: Anticipate (especially the doctor's next steps and what he will need).

Rule #2: Be visible and Participate.

Rule #3: Smile (you are in the smile business, It's required of you)

Look ahead at the schedule. Know who's coming in for what. Help out (even offer to help file charts & papers at the front desk or pull charts for the next day). Find ways to help patients feel comfortable - as if they were guests in your home.

If x-rays need to be developed, start developing them.

Ask if you can bring Mr/Ms so-and-so back now - rather than waiting to be told to do so. Try to find out about how long until that patient will be seen and let that patient know.

Little things like that can help your patients feel more comfortable and will help you get in the groove and flow of the office.

Remember that most people are extremely uncomfortable in a dental office/chair. Look them in the eye, call them by name, and smile. Make sure they know your name and perhaps initiate some chit-chat.

Sorry for the listing. I just got on a tangent...!!! There are still some times that I really miss my dental days (can you tell??!) Actually, I don't know what your responsibilities are just yet. I'm guessing you are a 'rover' who may then be trained to do chairside assisting??

I hope you have a good and busy week.

Enjoy, Aude.

• missy04
    missy04
    Remember that most people are extremely uncomfortable in a dental office/chair. Look them in the eye, call them by name, and smile. Make sure they know your name and perhaps initiate some chit-chat.

That's basically all I am able to do so far, LOL I'll get the rest down pat..

.I think ya pretty much summed up my job description How long has it been since you worked in a dental office? I bet you were great at it!!

~Sarah

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I spent 25 years in dental offices.

Started when I was a senior in high school.

I've been out of dentistry for about 2 and a half years. The largest practice I was in was pediatrics. When I started there was one doctor and 2.5 staff. When I left, I had 12 people reporting to me. We were busy, busy, busy!!

I trained ALOT of newbies...!! LOL First thing I would notice was a nice, sincere smile. Next was a willingness to learn and a willingness to do what was necessary to keep things rolling.

After about 3 weeks, it will be a little more fun for you because people you've met during these first two weeks will be returning for follow-up care.

Keep at it (and check out community college for summer and/or fall classes - you'll be SO GLAD you did!!!).

-Aude.

Incense_and_Peppermints
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they are everywhere or what ?

heh, i can just see 'em suddenly materializing out of the wall, smiling and smiling...

p.s. hang in there, Missy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit