So I go to my first day of work.....

by missy04 49 Replies latest jw friends

• missy04
    missy04
    i mean, i never ran into anyone at work who tried to preach to me, ever, and i have worked with a few religious people, even one place where there was a witness lady, and she never once witnessed at work.

I would think that the Witnesses would not want to try and convert or bring back people from where they work for fear of making it uncomfortable to work with them in the future.

Who knows....we'll see

• Swan
    Swan

Missy,

It isn't "preaching" by their definition. It is called "incidental witnessing" and they practice it in their ministry school and do demonstrations at their assemblies on how to casually talk to people about their religious beliefs during normal daily activities.

It isn't illegal to talk to people about religious issues at work in normal day to day conversation. But it can be illegal for an employer to discriminate against a person because of their religion or push their religion on you. There are exceptions, such as the wearing of religious garb in the workplace. Employers can require people not to wear turbans, crosses, and other religious clothing and jewelry.

This issue becomes a firing offense only when the person persists on pushing their religion on you to the point where it can be considered harassment. Hopefully it won't get that far. Setting your boundaries early in your working relationship would be a good thing. When they approach religious topics with you firmly, but politely tell them you aren't interested, and will be offended if they continue to push it any farther. That you told them to stop is is often considered in harassment cases, but hopefully it will never get that far.

Good luck.

Tammy

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they are everywhere or what ? (reminds me a famous serie ...)

• missy04
    missy04
    Setting your boundaries early in your working relationship would be a good thing. When they approach religious topics with you firmly, but politely tell them you aren't interested, and will be offended if they continue to push it any farther. That you told them to stop is is often considered in harassment cases, but hopefully it will never get that far.

Good luck.

Tammy

I'll have to talk to my mom about that, too. She has a tendency to be too polite about some things and they might take it as her being interested. Tho I have a problem with not telling people exactly what they want ot hear, in this case I think I can make an exception or at least avoid the lady. LOL my poor mom...I can see it now "Linda would you be interested in a Bible study? No pressure or anything...."

• missy04
    missy04
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they are everywhere or what ? (reminds me a famous serie ...)

Yes they are everywhere

• Valis
    Valis

Kind of like being in The Prisoner...You can try to escape, but they are still around..."I am not a dubbie I am a free man!!!"

best of luck missy, just don't let her first contact outside of job duties be that "Linda would you be interested in a Bible study? No pressure or anything...."...If she goes there cut it off and if you get uncomfortable about it afterwards then speak to your boss. Harrassment is not fun.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• missy04
    missy04
    best of luck missy, just don't let her first contact outside of job duties be that "Linda would you be interested in a Bible study? No pressure or anything...."...If she goes there cut it off and if you get uncomfortable about it afterwards then speak to your boss. Harrassment is not fun.

Luckily I think my mom does know enough about the witnesses to not agree to a Bible study..I am just worried she will be polite and it will be percieved as being interested in a study and it will be uncomfortable for her.

But I will talk to her about it.

thx

Sarah

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Missy -

First of all, CONGRATS on the job!!!!!!

I spent 25 years in the dental field and started just where you are now. Only differences are that I was in another state and a year younger than you.

About the witness at the front desk. I want to strongly encourage you to start early to train her to not discuss her religion nor criticize yours. You can pretty much bet that either she, or her mother, or others in the congregation will witness to you on the job. Remember that YOU hold the key to how much pressure they will put on you and the sooner you squelch it, the easier it will be.

I had to address this a few times towards the end of my dental career - I had already become inactive and some witness patients wanted to use their wait and 'chair' times to do some incidental witnessing. As soon as the conversation switched to 'preach mode' - and we all know exactly when that happens! - I would stop them:

"Oh. Thank you, but, please. I'm really not interested. And also, I'm really uncomfortable discussing this at work. It's really not appropriate and it's not fair to Dr. so-and-so and it's not fair to my patients."

Those exact words... You probably won't have to say them again to the same person more than once. (Well some people need to hear it twice, but they learn if say it with greater emphasis!) Also, they will probably pass the word on to the rest of their friends...

Hey!! CONGRATS again!!!
    I really enjoyed dentistry. If there is one thing I would do differently, though... I would have started my college carreer MUCH sooner than age 32. Even if you only take one class at a time - and that's quite doable - start now. You will be so pleased with yourself.

Enjoy!!
    -Aude.

• missy04
    missy04
    Missy,

It isn't "preaching" by their definition. It is called "incidental witnessing"

Is THATTTT what they call it I could think of other things to call it

• missy04
    missy04
    About the witness at the front desk. I want to strongly encourage you to start early to train her to not discuss her religion nor criticize yours. You can pretty much bet that either she, or her mother, or others in the congregation will witness to you on the job. Remember that YOU hold the key to how much pressure they will put on you and the sooner you squelch it, the easier it will be.

I hope she won't be too pushy, I am very shy and put up with alot and I mean ALOT before I tell someone they're bothering me. I really hope just not responding to it does the trick if she brings it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit