Would You Run For President/Prime Minister/Etc. If You Could???

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

and not just everyone "could" run for office. You need money, exposure, the media, influence, etc. But if you could, if it was even a longshot possibility, would you ever consider running for office?

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Absolutely not. You have to be crazy to want that much responsibility. ;)

• franklin J
    franklin J

no. not interested in the political game.

did too much of it as a JW....

• upside/down
    upside/down

It would certainly be tempting!

I'm not sure if I'm psychotic enough.... Hmmmmmm

OK OK you talked me into it, I'll run, I'LL RUN...

u/d

p.s VOTE FOR U/D- TO GET THE JOB DONE! (isn't that what they say?)

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Only if I could implement proportional representation, and substantially reform the way that political parties are funded, and limit spending on campaigning. Then resign, and see what real democracy looks like.

OR, If I could take on a Vladimir Putin type role, and dispense with elections altogether, for your own safety.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I would rather start change at a local level.

I really want to run for the school board to start some changes to the school system in my town.

Our mayor is only 28 years old and he has done a lot of great things so far for our town and I think I'm smarter than him...

• Englishman
    Englishman

If Hugh Grant can make Prime Minister, then so can I!

Englishman.

• minimus
    minimus

Frank----what does politics have to do with JWs?

• franklin J
    franklin J

hey Min,

Aside from Public service politics....

my recollections of being a JW; with all usual "good relationship with Jehovah" nonsense ....

( gesture of being ill)

was that there was SO MUCH POLITICING; the social heiarchy alone where i grew up (Huntington Congregation in Long Island NY)would make your head spin. My father was an elder so I suppose we were close to the top of the heap..... myself and 2 sisters were full time pioneers; which was continually comforting to my socially consciencious parents...cousin was the Bethel dentist; etc. These were considered, at the time, solid JW credentials. And I KNOW that those credentials made a difference in how we were percieved; and what we could and could not do.

There is a difference.

In a very big way; this was perhaps good training for me. When I finally grew up ( and out of the JW influences) and entered the REAL world; working in NYC, I was able to handle myself in business politics.

"Hey, I did my time with the Jehovahs Witnesses--I KNOW how to be a #@$%?!"

The good New York line ...."Don't $^%#*&@?! with me!"

• upside/down
    upside/down

I think Frank meant "politics" within the congo. "Politics" being wrestling with each other to see who was the big shot and who's opinions would hold sway.

Hope I'm right,

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit